The Basement

Started by Candle, Fri 07/01/2005 10:00:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbarian

Dissapointed Troll, errr, Poop, I mean GuestÃ,  ;D ...
Ã,  Ã, Hey, give the guy a break, Candle is still new to the AGS scene here, so just the fact that he managed to complete a project and willing to share with us, he deserves some respect.Ã,  What games have you made, Dissapointed?
Ã, 
Ã,  Ã,  Everyone who wants to be a game-maker has to start somewhere, and early projects are a learning experience in which the creator can gain experience, learn and improve on his or her skills.

Ã,  Ã,  Candle's game was a pretty good effort considering he's a beginner at this ( and I've seen much worse ), and even though it has some rough-spots, overall I think he's got some real good potential to go own and make even better games.

Ã,  Ã,  Dissapointed, how much did you pay to play Candle's game?Ã,  Considering it's a free game from an independent and new game-creator, then why don't you offer some positive critisism rather than just rude comments?Ã,  No, not every free game you download is going to be the "most awesomeest bestest game ever".Ã,  Ã, If you think you can provide us with a better game that you've made, Dissapointed, then please, show all of us amatuer Adventure Game makers how it's supposed to be done.Ã,  :)

Candle:Ã,  He's just trying to Troll and get you upset, don't even bother lowering yourself to his level.Ã,  He doesn't even have the courage to register as a "member" and express his comments then. Someone like him could probably only ever manage to make a 1 room "game" in which a blue-cup wobbled around the screen and did nothing.Ã,  Ã, Hey, I think I rememer seeing a game like that beforeÃ,  ;DÃ,  Ã, Anyways, keep at it, many people here would be happy to see more of your games.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Candle

Thanks Barbarian , I will keep on making them and I will get better ..

kjetting

Here is some real criticizm:
;D
Try giving the player some reason for his actions.
Spoiler
Explain why the broom can't be used to get the fire extinguisher without applying fudge to it. (for instance; when the player tries to grab it using the broom you could display a message explaining why it doesn't work).
[close]
You should also add messages that are displayed when looking at things, describing what you're looking at.
There should also be a reasonable explanation for the following things:
Spoiler

Explain why you can't use the stairs even when the fire is put out.
Why should using a snow scene on the furnace cause it to move?
If the snow scene is supposed to put out the fire, why can't the fire extinguisher be used?
What's with the blue lever that seemed to do nothing?
Why did I smash the vase?
[close]
If you just have a good explaination why something should be done, you can make almost any absurd action seem like the most reasonable and logical one. Computer game logic doesn't have anything at all to do with the real world. ;)
Another big problem is that all your hotspots are way too small.

Anyway, looking forward to seing some improvements in your next game. Hope I'm not to hard on you, don't call me an asshole because I'm trying to help you... Unlike that "dissapointed" guy I actually pointed out some weaknesses of the game that can be improved instead of justÃ,  trolling.

Candle

I know you mean well .
But it is just a game .
You are asking me to do things that I don';t see anyone else doing ? you want me to explain everything like I'm a Therapists and why everthing was done in the game .
You didn't see why you had to do a sword fight with the pirates but you insulted each other and not sword fight in EFMI.
So just play the game or not and stop analysing  everything in life .

kjetting

Quote from: Candle on Wed 19/01/2005 13:48:52
You didn't see why you had to do a sword fight with the pirates but you insulted each other and not sword fight in EFMI.
There was a perfectly good explanation of the insult sword fighting in the Monkey Island games. People you meet in the game tell you that the secret to winning a sword fight is to stun the opponent with a powerful insult, and that great wit usually wins more fights than actual fencing skills. You also learn that you can counter insults with witty replies.

In real life you couldn't win a fight like this, but since there's an explanation for it it seems perfectly logical in the game. The motivation for picking fights in the first Monkey Island game was also clear; you needed practise to eventually take on the sword master.

Candle

Spoiler

The stairs . you couldn't use the stairs as they would not be safe after a fire anyone should know that .
The stove can't move if the fire is burning as it would go up the pipe so have to put the fire out .
The fire extinguisher ran out putting the stairs fire out .
The fudge made the broom handle sticky to grab the  fire extinguisher  .
If you don't pull the blue lever the stove will not move .
[close]
Thats All I will take about this . if you need help with the game fine other was I'm done talking about it .

kjetting

Quote from: Candle on Wed 19/01/2005 16:51:05
Spoiler

The stairs . you couldn't use the stairs as they would not be safe after a fire anyone should know that .
The stove can't move if the fire is burning as it would go up the pipe so have to put the fire out .
The fire extinguisher ran out putting the stairs fire out .
The fudge made the broom handle sticky to grab theÃ,  fire extinguisherÃ,  .
If you don't pull the blue lever the stove will not move .
[close]
Thats All I will take about this . if you need help with the game fine other was I'm done talking about it .
I'm just trying to help you make a better game. And I was mostly thinking of in-game explanations. Like:
Spoiler

When I try to use the fire extinguisher on the furnace, the game could display a message saying: "it's empty", or if I try to put out the fire in the furnace first it could display:"Well that would sure be fun, but this extinguisher is destined for greater things." or: "Yeah sure, and afterwards let's find a barrel of fish for shooting practise".
[close]

Candle

Well would like to do that but it seems I can find the files or they were deleted .
But I will keep that in mind for the new Ron game  I'm working  on .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk