Supergirl - We don't need another hero

Started by , Wed 19/01/2005 10:40:43

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayman

Hi, guys.

Here's the lowdown on my game.

Title: Supergirl in We Don't Need Another Hero

URL (screenshots and download): http://runawayman.sitesled.com/Games/WDNAH.htm

Category: Comedy/adventure. More the former than the latter.

Rating: PG.

Difficulty: Easy. There's more emphasis on characterization, dialogues, and interactivity than puzzles.

Length: Medium. The puzzles won't even slow down a veteran player, but there's lots to read.

Story: Supergirl comes to a town where the local hero is, well, Supergirl, who somehow has managed to rid the city of all its crime. The real Supergirl must expose the fake one and discover what happened to the criminals in the city.

The characters were made with Poser. The backgrounds (except one) were made with 3dStudio Max though they aren't all that good. There are only three I'm reasonably proud of. The rest are kinda simplistic.

One question though – can I put this game in the games section at the main site? I remember reading something about not posting anything with copyrighted characters.

Ronn A. Mann

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I think you can, but I'm not sure.

Indeed, Poser characters all look the same... :P

Apart from that, the game is short and sweet. Real sweet. Good work, and here's hoping we'll see more of Supergirl in more - and even better - episodes.

...not THAT kind of seeing more!

(pervert)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Candle

Looks like a nice game , going to play it now .

Totoro

Poser characters are not "copyrigh protected" anyway, so dont worry about this. Depending on wether you used freebies or paid for characters, clothing etc. it might affect your rights to use them commercially or not, but there is no copyright problem in general. Nice game by the way :)

Gilbert

Quote from: Totoro on Wed 19/01/2005 22:26:14
Poser characters are not "copyrigh protected" anyway, so dont worry about this.
I think he meaned Supergirl, not the poser part. ;)

Runawayman: well I think it's okay for you to put the game in the games section, as you may have seen already, that fan games and remakes of commercial games such KQVGA series, NOTH, etc. were there already, that rule is there just for official standards.

Snarky

Of course, if AGS gets shut down by DC Comics lawyers we'll blame YOU!  :P

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

[Phil] I reject your definition of "blame". [/Phil]

<Cap. Mostly's hysterical laughter is heard far off, mumbling something about how Tom will someday overthrow the great Yahtzee>

[brief instant of sanity] I gotta stop posting at this time in the morning. [/brief instant of sanity]

<braindeath>

Kneel. Now.

runawayman

My greatest concern was never that DC comics would shut down AGS. They wouldn't. They'd merely ask to have the game removed.

My concern was that the AGS moderators would kick ME out of here for violating the rules. So unless one of them gives me the okay, I'm not posting the game.

Another thing. I'd love to think my game would entertain the player for at least 30 mins and thus qualify as a medium length game. But what do you guys think? Is it a short game or a medium game? I'm sure a veteran player can complete it in less than ten minutes. But what about an average player?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I'd rate it short, but that's just me.

Kneel. Now.

Totoro

oooops sorry, I did not know "Supergirl" was copyright protected, I always considered it being a spin-off of superman which was somehow created by 10000 people at the same time and therefor propperty of the public ;)

Potch

Ok, well, I know you said your game is really easy, so I must be stupid, because I'm stuck. 

Spoiler
I have the wrecking ball.  I stopped the tank.  Can't open the vault.  Can't get past the robot. I tried using the ball on the vault and the robot.  It didn't work.  HELP!
[close]
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Spoiler
Use the ball with yourself to exercise.
[close]

Kneel. Now.

Potch

Thanks!  I wouldn't have thought of that.
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

Dave Gilbert

I was stuck in the same place.

As poser games go, this is very well done.  The backgrounds could use a little more detail, and Supergirl seems a bit eager to commit acts of violence, but I enjoyed it muchly.  I like how you incorporate different dialogs after you repeat certain actions. 

One thing that bothered me though...

Spoiler

The ending.  The fake supergirl says "It all began a few months ago..." and then it ENDS.  I was hoping for a nice tidy explaination, but oh well.
[close]

Phemar

Nice game, just finished.

The game was rather enjoyable, and I liked the character art. The backgrounds were just a bit empty and a let-down to be honest.

I loved the little animations and stuff

Still a nice little game! Good job.

Barbarian

Played through the game... Great Job!
I enjoyed it all.  Fairly good interface. Nice character art and animations (I especially like the exercising animation). I enjoyed the humor in the game too.  The scenes were a bit "bare / sparse", but still the game was fantastic.   

Keep up the good work. I look forwards to seeing more of your games.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Cain

Really what stands out in the game is the dialogue and all the text written... the fact that you get a different response for every object in the game is way cool.

And most of the dialogue is witty and fun ("I cannot see through my suit, It's got lead in it... just in case Superman gets curious"...ROFTL) , I enjoyed this little game much more than some "puzzle fests" that simply don't give you any reason for your actions.

Sprites... I think the black outline makes  too  much contrast with the backgrounds, you should try removing it next time, or better, exaggerate it, making the charcters more "cartoony" (after all is based on a comic series, right ? :) )

What bothered me more about the backgrounds was not their emptiness, but the fact that the colors were too much photorealistic, and made too much contrast (again) with sprites... maybe you could enhance saturation and contrast ?

Anyway, I enjoyed it very much, keep up the good work.

DCillusion

I wouldn't worry too much about the backgrounds.  It's a good game.  In the future, you could enlist in some background artists.  there are plenty out there, but most are afraid they'll be making the ENTIRE game, or that the designer won't follow through.  You've proven you can handle, & finish, your side.  I'll bet you could sway some great talent

....Nice Work :D

Khris

Nice game.

I found a dead end, though.
Spoiler
After changing to civilian clothes in the apartment with the wrecking ball in your inventory, it is gone. If Supergirl didn't exercise, the game can't be solved anymore.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk