Supergirl - We don't need another hero

Started by , Wed 19/01/2005 10:40:43

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayman

First off, thanks for the comments about the game. I really enjoyed making it, and I'm already working on another Supergirl game, though it's going to be a while before I finish it. The next game should be much longer, have decent backgrounds and QFG-style fight sequences. (And the nerd from the university will make an appearance there too.)

To Dave Gilbert:

I'm surprised by your comment that Supergirl seems too eager to commit acts of violence. Is that the way it comes out? I intended it the other way around. She certainly talks aggressively, but refuses to attack the robot or the fake Supergirl or to break into the industrial complex without evidence, and when she uses her muscles it's either to save someone or to attack the villains. (She's not Batman, you know :).) She's certainly more prone to violence that the average AGS character, I suppose.

In regard to the comment in the spoiler text, you're supposed to talk to the fake Supergirl every time you meet her. The game's plot is revealed through the dialogues. I thought that repeating it in the epilogue would be redundant, though it probably isn't.

To Cain and others:

I know the backgrounds are by far the weakest part of the game. It isn't so much that I'm bad at them (which I am), it's that being 3d-rendered means that every little prop has to be a 3d model. And things like a bookcase, a picture frame or a potted plant which are relatively simple to draw, are a pain in the butt to model in 3d.

The black outline is there because Poser anti-aliases against a black background. If I use 32-bit color sprites with the alpha channel, they look stunning, but at 16-bit color, I get a black outline. I tried to get rid of it manually, but it made the borders of the sprites look blocky. I'll try to find a way to get rid of it for my next game.

To Khrismuc:

I don't know how to do spoiler text yet, so I'll just say it normally. (No much of a spoiler anyway.)

Before she changes into civilian clothes, she drops the wrecking ball in the room. She won't pick it up again until she changes back to Supergirl, but the ball should stay in the room. If it's not there, then that's a bug of a different sort.

Phemar

I dunno... That didn't happen to me. Maybe you changed behind the rack thing, so the object is behind it and can't be picked up again?

Runawayman maybe you should change it so that there's a blank hotspot on the floor by the changing place thing, and when you change it checks to see if you are on that hotspot and if you are then it moves you out?

Candle

You can change the background color in poser to anything you like .I use 255,0,255

Nostradamus

Very nice game. BUt I hope you do a longer one next time.
I need a little help:
Spoiler
I beat up the robot and opened the vault. Can't enter the mall\get an autograph or enter the industrial area gate. What do I do next? [\hide]
[close]

Dan

Nice, enjoyable game with some quite tricky puzzles. I'm looking forward to the next one :)

@Nostradamus

Spoiler

A change of appearance may help.

Change into normal clothes (either at home or in the alley with the trashcan) and then talk to the woman from the bank - she should be in the queue for the mall.
[close]

Cheers,
Dan.

Nostradamus

Dan:

Spoiler
But I can't fly in normal clothes. How do I do get to the mall with normal clothes?
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Nostradamus, read the parenthesis in Dan's post.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Joacim Andersson

I'm stuck.
Spoiler
How do you beat up the robot? I've worked out and opened the vault but nothing much happens when I try to beat up the robot.
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Spoiler
Has HE beaten you up yet? And do you KNOW - have proof - that you have to get by him and into that place?
[close]
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
Yes he has beaten me up several times. I also have proof that I need to get in there, which I got after giving the action figure to the guy at the university. But he stills just beat me up.
[close]

runawayman

Spoiler
Check your strength. It should be over 75000 for you to beat the robot. If it's not, then you need to do other stuff first. If it is over 75000, just use strength on the robot. If you merely walk to the gate, you'll get beaten up no matter your strength.
[close]

Ronn A. Mann

Joacim Andersson

OK, thanks I've finished the game. Pretty funny, even though I thought the ending was a little weak. But all in all a good job, congratulations.

Pumaman

Quote from: Runawayman on Thu 20/01/2005 11:32:54
My concern was that the AGS moderators would kick ME out of here for violating the rules. So unless one of them gives me the okay, I'm not posting the game.

Just to confirm, this is fine. There are other potentially infringing games such as Garfield and King's Quest VGA on the site. If worst came to worst, we'd simply have to remove it from the AGS Games page.

Darcness

Runawayman, the best way to use Poser figures as game sprites is to turn anti-aliasing of in poser's render options. Believe me, it works wonders.

And I thoroughly enjoyed your game, by the way. Well done!

Free the Floopians, Our first commercial indie game.

runawayman

Just in case you care, version 1.5 of the game is ready and waiting for your download at my website (http://runawayman.sitesled.com).

Improvements include:

- I redid most of the sprites, getting rid of the black outline, without turning off anti-aliasing. (That's tricky.) So they look much better without having to turn off anti-aliasing (they look blocky without it). I also redid Supergirl's outfit.

- I re-rendered all the backgrounds. They don't look much better, but now they're more compressible so the game is a 2.6MB download instead of 4.8MB.

- I added props to some rooms. The police station and the university look much better now.

- I added 4 rooms and 4 puzzles at the end of the game. Hopefully that'll improve the game and officially make it a "medium-length" game (if only because reading all the dialogues I added will take about half an hour  :) ).

- I added different responses to the Pick Up command, so you don't get the generic "There's only one thing I can pick up in this game and this isn't it."

- I Fixed the wrecking ball bug (thanks to Khrismuc and Zor).

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 13/02/2005 16:50:30
Just to confirm, this is fine. There are other potentially infringing games such as Garfield and King's Quest VGA on the site. If worst came to worst, we'd simply have to remove it from the AGS Games page.

Well, it's good to know that. I'll post the game there next week (after I do some more testing).

Ronn A. Mann

Queen Kara

Thanks very much for making this great game.
When I found out a certain thing via searching the forums , I had an "Oh , duh! Why hadn't I thought of that in the first place?" moment but other than that it was easy.
Klaatu Verata Niktu?

lakerz

Any hints on how to pass the maze of doorways near the end?  I've been running through them and backtracking, etc. etc. for awhile now.  Can't do anything to the walls either.

runawayman

Quote from: lakerz on Tue 22/02/2005 00:04:32
Any hints on how to pass the maze of doorways near the end?  I've been running through them and backtracking, etc. etc. for awhile now.  Can't do anything to the walls either.

The maze is supposed to be the trickiest puzzle in the game :)

Spoiler
Listen To each of the walls until Supergirl says she can hear something, then use Strength on that wall.
[close]

lakerz

Thanks Runawayman!  Enjoyed playing through your game!  :=

Queen Kara

Ok , downloaded and played both versions.
Thanks so much for the improvements in the new version!
The old version is good but it's always nice to see people go the extra mile to make things even better when they know that it could be better.
I liked how you added some extra humor about the fake supergirl too instead of having the real one just repeat jokes for each time she's talking about the fake's hair color.
Klaatu Verata Niktu?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk