FLASHBAX ....FINISHED..

Started by foz, Mon 01/09/2003 20:00:41

Previous topic - Next topic

nihilist

haha this is ridiculous... I just read the AGS 'ezine' with review on your game and started laughing at the commentary.. This zine is a waste of time.. Dead set. It has good articles and 'news' type information, but I don't think the author (whoever it may be?) should continue to write reviews on amateur adventure games. A public company production being reviewed - yeah fair enough, but amateur produxJns - I don't think so. Should leave the critic's corner for that on the forums to get a multitude of opinions not one "OFFICIAL" game rating...

pathetic.

Also it just doesn't work. Most people (I'm hitting at about 80% minimum) on the forums are not capable of composing really solid tunes due to the lack of a MIDI keyboard/composition programs/musical 'talent or ability' etc:., and here we see a reviewer describing your game with comments liks " Another average thing is the music. The tunes are not memorable, but they fit the atmosphere quite well. "

My opinion on your game doesn't change dood - its pretty appealing to me and I think that it's very good that people are responding on the forum with their own input. Just remember not to get discouraged by the "OFFICICAL 65%" that some reviewer stamped on his (or her) "EZINE"; as it is an amateur production after all, just like your game. Only difference is - Your game is actually WORTH PLAYING!!!

foz

so nihilist it looks like your one of the people who would be interested that i`m working on a PREQUEL as we speak.

Should i make a tamer version or not bother
i`ll leave the decision up NIHILIST......let me know ...you control the fate of whether i bother or not..

thanks again

Vel

Nihilist, I do not recall seeing you here, maybe because you are part of the carmageddon community? Nevermind that. I stand behind my comment on the music, and I do not see what is wrong with it. There are many, some of which freeware MIDI composing programs, with which you can create quite professionally sounding tunes. Looks like you've learned a lot from this game, especially from the old man scene. I doubt that you have played many adventure games, but play Runaway to see what good puzzles are. And before saying "hahahaha" again, try and make something yourself. About the rating, I think it is fair, because the 100% rating consists of five elements: plot, puzzles, sound, graphics and other misc stuff like GUI, scripting etc. Even if I give the max 20% of the graphics, which I do, there are still 80% left for the other components. And I am not saying that this game isnt worth playing. It is, as long as you are not offended.

EDIT: foz, if you'd like to know whether people would like to see a prequel, make a poll, do not ask certain people.

WanderLady

Foz,

Please reread my previous post. What I played I thought was good. It may have been the first AGS game I enjoyed. It's just that the vulgarities took that away. It made me think, "Here we go again. Another game like this."
     It seems that because a game isn't commercial, and to make up for what a game lacks, or to be funny, creators feel the need to be vulgar. This is what I'm finding with AGS games and it's disheartening.
        I can take the vulgarity. However if it isn't needed with your game, I'd be happy to play a cleaner version, as I enjoyed what I played, but it is up to you.

foz

just a message to vel about the music.
one of the tunes in the game was borrowed from sylpher which is a good background tune as it doesnt aggrivate you to much with to many melody patterns.
the ending tune is adgio for strings by barber....a great classical composer
the torture music borrowed from resovoir dogs...little green bag great song..
and the rest are some tunes i put together in a couple of hours using LOGIC pro ...

2 songs are from established artsists/composers.
1 from sylpher which in my oppion is a good background song......
the rest from me....as i asked previously and you have`nt answered yet....
what games or graphics or music or anything have you done and we`ll all take a look and see what we think.
laters
MR FOZ

Vel

Heh, if you are so curious to find, browse the games in production forum, search for "Curse of the Mushmuroc castle"
I have released one MAGS game called recess. And, I mostly agree with wanderlady, during the second part of the game I had the feeling that it is all about violence and old men masturbating.

foz

you forgot to mention people throwing up....

foz

Theres doe`snt seem to be anything about
"Curse of the Mushmuroc castle" when i search...

why is that????

Vel

Maybe because you do not dare search hard enough?

foz

To VEL

Its me the serial PM master.....

You where not happy with my music..??
Your entitled to your opinion.

I have been making adventure game music for only a few weeks....

But i have been making house/garage/soul....all kinds of music for years

and earnt a few pounds in the process....

Just type..............FOZBEE..............into any web search engine

You might even find songs i made for sale on the internet....

FOZBEE is a unique name ive had for years the sites that sell my records are not
connected to me.........i`ve made my 10cents as it where......

so yes you can say you don`t like my adventure game music.....

HOW MUCH HAVE YOU EARNED WITH YOUR MUSIC...not much i guess

nihilist

foz - you're ORIGINAL ideas were put into that game, with the content straight from your head. Personally, I wouldn't modify it based on originalty issues alone. Surely you agree with me here...
BUT - if you think it would be better to appeal more to the AGS audience based on forum opinions, then go for it. I'm just saying its your game, so you should make the calls regarding any changes. (It could work, just like in the system for 'Rex Nebular and the cosmic gender bender' - see reviews if you don't know what I'm talking about)

To Mister Vel:

Regarding what I posted before, I think it stands to be read by all members in the community. Let me point out that the comment WAS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK ON YOUR WORK. It's fine to publish an online/offline piece of work, and let me correct my last message by saying that yours isn't a bad publication at all. The only thing that I think you might consider removing is the reviews, because when you post a message announcing that an official MAG is online, AGS comm. members will flock to read it. For those who haven't played the game, they get an insightful 65% label, quite possibly discouraging them to play the game. And considering it is a FIRST production, its like a smack in the face for people like foz, smearing what I regard as a fine first production.

nihilist

ey champ - the game froze again when I tried to
Spoiler
use the hand icon on the shuttle ladder after getting the plutonium
[close]

nihilist

One more bug - when I finished the game and tried to click new game, it froze. You might want to test this, but I think it may just be my comp.

Gilbert

Oh please, use the "EDIT" function instead of starting new posts next time.

Vel

Nihilist: Just one question: have you played any of the space quest games? I think that these are the only games that combine humour/space theme well. Anyway, except for the rating, there is a very detailed review of the game.

Gonzo

And considering it is a FIRST production, its like a smack in the face for people like foz, smearing what I regard as a fine first production.

There's nothing wrong with giving an honest opinion about something. If we all said we liked stuff we didn't really, AGS games wouldn't get any better.

Vel's e-zine is partly made up of reviews, and so he actually has to say what he thinks. Obviously not everyone will agree. Vel didn't happen to like 'Flashbax' that much, and gave it a middling score. He doesn't claim to be the 'official AGS authority' with his e-zine, its just a thing he does for the community, he doesn't mean 65% is set in stone.

Foz, I don't think it's necessary to be so retaliatory, with comments like "so yes you can say you don`t like my adventure game music.....HOW MUCH HAVE YOU EARNED WITH YOUR MUSIC...not much i guess" and "what games or graphics or music or anything have you done and we`ll all take a look and see what we think." Vel just said what he thought about various aspects of the game. If you're going to put out a game like this, you have to be far more thick-skinned. It's not going to be for everyone (myself included).

AGA

Yeah, everyone's entitled to voice their opinions, but there's no need to retaliate with near-insults... Either take his criticisms on board, or ignore them, there's no need to get all defensive.

veryweirdguy

Next week on 'Completed Game Announcements'...:

m0ds has finished FoY, but will the community like it? Watch as he throws things at the others until they play it...

nihilist

Ok this debate could go on forever.. I'm not trying to slur Vel's publication, just thought that people might be a little discouraged by the score before playing it, that's all.

Now to Mr. Vel's Q. - In response to last msg, yes I have played ALL of the space quest series, 2 packs which I bought as extras because next to the QFG series, Roger's antics are still from my favourite series (I'm even awaiting the sq7.org project, even though its fanbased!). I agree with you about humour - Sierra put a lot of good humour into every SQ game, and toned it down to suit a 13+ audience. BUT this is not the only space-based game with good humour. Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender (Microprose) was an outstanding game, with an option to play in either a PG-13 or and R-18 mode, because it contained some nudity, violence and even a small sex scene. This type of humour was more similar to Foz' game, and a little more 'risque', but it was still an awesome production.

Vel

But in neither of those games, the plot isnt orientated around gore&sex, the felling I had while playing the second part of Flashbax. Really, guys, is this the way to solve a puzzle in an adventure game? To sever one's hand to get past the hand scanner?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk