MAGS February 2005: Missing since Midnight

Started by Maxileen, Fri 25/02/2005 23:47:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxileen

"Missing since Midnight" is an entry for the February 2005 MAGS with the topic "Hotel".

You can find "Missing since Midnight" at http://www.voigtmann-online.de/Arne/games/msm/msm.zip (about 4.5 mb)
Find out more about the game on its Games page.

MSM takes part in a more than 400 years old half-timbered house that the owner has made into a hotel. You are playing Tim Buktu, a private detective who just wanted to go for a holiday. But then someone is missing and you are asked to help searching for the missing person.

Features:
* eight characters, three of them are female
* eight rooms, including guest room, kitchen, reception, dining-room and parking lot
* 50 different animation phases
* more than 6000 words (40 kb of texts)

Since the game is very text-laden, so it will take about one to two hours to finish the game when not cancelling the dialogs.

I don't know how long I've been working on this game but it must have been more than 40 hours.
I started the game on February 6th and finished it just two minutes before midnight (CET) on February 25th.

UPDATE (March 2nd) V 1.05:
* some typos and other text mistakes corrected
* some new animation phases: Tim can tip over the bucket now, and Freds eats and looks at Mel and Tim during supper
* sentences for unhandled events like talking to an object/hotspot added
* German translation added
* some minor bugs corrected, now Tim can't go outside on Day 1 and the starting of the scene with the talking radio set has been changed, so that it can't be cancelled mistakenly that easy
* during all cut-scenes that can be cancelled by ESC or a right mouse click the status bar is switched off
* the Intro sequence has been a bit refurbished
WARNING: Because of the new animation phases older savegames won't work with the new version.

For the future I've planned to maybe make a voice pack (depending on how much time I've got).

----------------------------------
CREDITS:
STORY, DIALOGS, GRAPHICS, SCRIPTING:
Arne Voigtmann

SOUND EFFECTS:
www.flashkit.com

BETA TESTING:
Maximilian Baumgart

MUSIC:
»TURRICAN« Soundtrack by Chris Hülsbeck

BACH & SCHUMANN
played by Enore Zaffiri
www.leonet.it/art/zaffiri/

(C) 2005 by Arne Voigtmann

Created with using
»Adventure Game Studio«
by Chris Jones
www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk

splat44

I just downloaded the game and I might gave some comments if any.

karelimur

Spoiler
Could you give me a hint, as to where the carbon is?
[close]

Maxileen

Spoiler
Think about what the rubber boots are made of ;)
[close]

bananakiss

how do i get the carbon from the boots?

Maxileen

Spoiler
You can't put the boots into the bucket in one piece, so you have to...
[close]

Artphreak

:'( I am very said...i was fully enjoying this game...

Spoiler
I was standing in the dining room area and i had just put all the ingredients together for the fuel and then...the game crashed! I hadn't saved it either. Oh well, i guess i'll just start again.
[close]

lakerz

Pretty nice game...good plot.  I was moving right along until I hit a puzzle I have yet to solve.  If someone doesn't mind answering it in the hints and tips section I'd appreciate it!

Sztyopek

Good work, but I think I have found a bug:
right after the arrival, before dinner, if I knock Mel's door, Tim says he don't wanna go out, but he does it, and I can find everything is supposed to be there only the next day.

Problem

Nice game, it's not too short and it has good graphics. The story became somehow weird at the end, and a little bit too clichéd, but all in all it was fun playing this nice little game.

mags_don

ok im no person who can or desires to make a game..butt.. ;D.. i have played alot of AGS games..and LOVE them..and always lookin for more..gimme gimme!! but i will be honest..the story was good,graphics GREAT,plot was ok..but...forgive me..i felt the plot did 'jump' to Fred being gone..ok..he is gone. but no clue that he was an alien... go figure!! i was totally surprised that he was..here i was lookin all around for him being murdered and no clue that he WAS an alien and that i had to make fuel? for what spaceship? and wish we coulda seen his room to give a 'hint' that he was an alien..then it may have flowed? easier to the plot of making the fuel..dont get me wrong..it was a good game..this is just my input. and like i said..i know i couldnt make a game near as cool as this and im no expert.. so if im blowing smoke..i did enjoy your game! ;D. Please keep makin da games!! and of course maybe that was your intention all along...the "spot" outside indicating a spaceship, but here i was lookin for something circular..doh!! and was really lookin for something asteroidal/meteroidal??(such a thing) in his disappearance...once again maybe silly me..just giving my 2 cents worth so  you will make more games and keeping these types of games alive!! Go AGS!!

Maxileen

Spoiler
Well, actually there should have been a clue that a spaceship crashed there and that Fred was an Alien: After having assembled the radio set there's a cutscene where you get a message from the other Alien that tells about Fred being one of his species and that he has crashed.

Unfiortunately several people couldn't see it because the accidentally cancelled this cut-scene. In the next version I'll indicate better that there's a cutscene starting after having completed the radio set.
[close]

sunshinegold

I tried 3 times to play this game but my computer crashes (3 times) after I get my jacket and boots :'(

I know someone else has reported that the game crashed but I think it was further in the game (dining-room ???)

Can someone tell me what else to do or how to fix this problem ???

sunshinegold

Well I finally completed the game.

Good game, nice graphics but it's too bad that it crashes so often.

Near the end, after you get the recipe, it just kept on crashing when I tried to fill the bucket. Then it crashed again and again.   It took me about 6 times to be able to complete the recipe.  I saved after every operation (water, eggs, carbon, and starch) but it just kept on crashing.  Once you have completed the recipe, you cannot SAVE anymore, so I just had to reload and reload and reload in order to see the end. 

Hope you can fix these bugs (crashes) because it is a good game.

Maxileen

Really strange, because I've tested the game so many times and it really never crashed on my computer.

Maybe it's some problem with playing the sounds, because you said it crashed when trying to fill the bucket (because then a water sound is played) - but I really have no idea what else it could be.

sunshinegold

Quote from: Maxileen on Mon 28/03/2005 00:23:40
Really strange, because I've tested the game so many times and it really never crashed on my computer.

Maybe it's some problem with playing the sounds, because you said it crashed when trying to fill the bucket (because then a water sound is played) - but I really have no idea what else it could be.

Hi Maxileen and thank you for taking the time to answer my post :)

I really don't know what causes the crashes but if I didn't enjoy your game so much I would have given up.

Anyway like I said this was a very good game and I hope you will make more like this one.  Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk