Dirk's Adventure

Started by poop743, Sat 26/02/2005 20:33:01

Previous topic - Next topic

poop743

www.freewebs.com/poop743/index.htm
The game is called Dirk's Adventure. I made it last summer[at age 12!] I think its very good. There is another game available for download that is in my opinion alot better, but not made with ags.

You are Dirk. After waking up with a headache on an island in the 14th century, you uncover a plot ivolving an evil King.
PS. Download Feed the Bears also![its better]

poop743

umm.......guys.........somebody reply. The game isnt sate of the art by any means, but it has 30 rooms of goodness. Im not sure how to get a screen shot up here, but can at least one person download it and give me feedback. Its not terrible. I urge u to try this piece of gaming goodness. [and its a real game this time. Unlike that halo game. lol!]

Neil Dnuma

I did the job for you. I cannot really comment on the game though, I only played for about two minutes.

Khris

OMG!!!
This is so lame, only the fact that the download took over an hour is more shitty.

PS: I'm sure this is supposed to be a joke, even though there's no punchline.

Joyce

I tried to d/l and it was going to take over an hour, I'll maybe try again tomorrow

AGA

khrismuc: even if you do think the game is lame, please keep any unconstructive criticism to yourself...

Also, poop743, please stop posting in other threads about how awesome your game is. I've deleted all those posts now, but please stop it in future.

poop743

I would like to point out that I was 12 years old at the time. Also can i get this in the AGS games section? Finally, go to that link and download Feed the Bears, its good.

JBiker51

Here's some constructive critisizm....why don't you just update the game, so it doesn't have to be so lame any more? I mean, you could update the graphics, add some story (some REAL story, I might add), and let your neighborhood try it out first before wasting forum space. I mean, many of our great game artists got to be so great because they worked their hardest on what they were trying to accomplish, and tried and tried again, until finally, they could make games that were solid gold. Except for Chris Jones, of course. He practically pioneered the art of home game-making! Think about what I have just said and try to do theese things. Who knows? You may become the next adventure game artist this year will see!
-JBiker51
"Never leave a penguin unattended" -Weebl and Bob

MoodyBlues

Um... JBiker, your "critisizm" isn't particularily constructive when you call the game "lame" and a waste of forum space, even if a remake is in order.
Atapi - A Fantasy Adventure
Now available!: http://www.afwcon.org/

JBiker51

Whoops! So sorry! Your game isn't lame! I was just thinking about something else, like that impossible Matrix parody adventure game! I can never win that thing! Sorry again!
-JBiker51
"Never leave a penguin unattended" -Weebl and Bob

Ubel

Quote from: poop743 on Sun 27/02/2005 12:59:50Also can i get this in the AGS games section?

Of course you can. You just have to put it there yourself. ;)

poop743

I think that the game isnt bad. Have any of you beaten it yet? It lacks good graphics, dialogue, and deep puzzles, but it has plenty of rooms. A tip for the game is to go to the left building first. Have fun. Also, how do i get my game on the ags games list?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ok, so my previous post has been deleted. I can understand that, it WAS overly sarcastic. But THIS I have to say:

QuoteIt lacks good graphics, dialogue, and deep puzzles, but it has plenty of rooms.
Very very seriously, that is not something to be particularly proud of. In fact, of all the things you can say of your game, the number of rooms is probably the least important thing. Many games nowadays advertise "Over 60 locations" and such... but really, old Sierra games had even MORE rooms. What's the difference? These new ones are much more thought out and fleshed out and whatnot. "Good graphics and deep puzzles" sort of MAKE the locations. Empty rooms, which are mostly what your game is about... well, in a word, and this is my opinion, the game is boring and shows very little grasp of the knowledge of the things that make a game.

On the OTHER hand, it IS good AS A FIRST APPROACH TO AGS. Hardly anyone ever posts his very early games anymore, because they're bound to be crappy - this is the case of your game, in my opinion. And people aren'«t all that forgiving because the maker should KNOW that his first attempts probably aren't worth showing. The thing here is, you have to understand that we're very serious, we're not joking or flaming or whatever - the game IS bad. Not worse than any first game, whoever. Here's things you might consider improving next time:

Turn off the upper GUI if you're not using it.
NEVER dedicate a room to something like "You found a key!". That's a big no no.
DO try to make something that makes sense, or seems to. I didn't find much sense in this.

I'll just re-state that your errors are common begginer's errors, akin to using yellow borders in ZZT. Acknowlegde them and keep trying. As it is, and I'm being very honest, the game is liable to win a P3N1S award. "Smokin' Weed" earned one - go ahead and try it out. ANd try out ALL other games which earned that award, and then play other better games like 2 of a Kind, Apprentice or even just 6 Day Assassin, or even Jovenes de la Guerra, or... whatever, there's a lot to choose from. And see WHY those games earned that award and why Dirk's Adventure, in it's current stage, is also a liable candidate.

Mod, please don't delete this one. I'm trying to be constructive this time, I really am.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Khris

poop is making fun of us, I'm sure.
He just can't be serious.

Goot

I haven't played the game but I'm sure he's not making fun of us. My first game was pretty lame too, which I started when I was 12 or 13 or something. My graphics were so bad, the grass was white with green spraypainted over it, so there was all this splotchy white stuff. You can't expect a 12 year old to come to AGS and straight off make an awesome game. I think he made a pretty good first effort.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteNEVER dedicate a room to something like "You found a key!". That's a big no no.

Where does this fall under constructive anything?  There are a great many successful games that devote static screens to notifying the player of something, which so long as it is consistent, is perfectly acceptable.  Just because you don't like an approach does not make it wrong.

If you don't like a game, fineâ€"that's your perogative.  Is it 'really' necessary to tear a poster apart at the seams because they aren't up to your standards, people?  If you believe something to be so bad that it bothers you to even look at it, you could exercise a bit of restraint and just not post a reply like 'this is lame' even if you're following it with 'because'. 

Some of the points I've read are reasonable, like Rui's statement that more rooms do not necessarily make a good game, but come on people..  Let's tone down the vitriol just a tad ;)

Problem

I think the biggest problem with this game is that the player has no idea what it is about, and what all those rooms are. Really, if you click something and suddely find yourself in another room, without any idea what you are actually doing, this is very frustrating for the player. Make clear to the player what the game is about and what the rooms are. Make clear what the player is supposed to do, where there are puzzles to solve, and how the puzzles are linked to the story.
If you do this, your games will make more sense and be more enjoyable to play.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteWhere does this fall under constructive anything?  There are a great many successful games that devote static screens to notifying the player of something, which so long as it is consistent, is perfectly acceptable.  Just because you don't like an approach does not make it wrong.

Take a look at the first screenie up there and tell me whether it looks like something of that sort or whether it looks like someone trying too hard to achieve a "cool" effect. To me it seems to be the latter, and for that reason it doesn't work. I mean, come on, we all know it is a typical "first-timer" screen. It even has a key - if it weren't the key, it'd have been the blue cup or the pink poster.

QuoteIf you don't like a game, fineâ€"that's your perogative.  Is it 'really' necessary to tear a poster apart at the seams because they aren't up to your standards, people?  If you believe something to be so bad that it bothers you to even look at it, you could exercise a bit of restraint and just not post a reply like 'this is lame' even if you're following it with 'because'. 

Let's just say this our good ol' Mister Feces has left us with a very sour taste in his mouth for many many reasons. I'm not feeling particularly magnanimous, and I don't give a damn whether he feels wronged or not, because he had it coming. Yes, I'm vengeful. Yes, it's pretty petty to be vengeful in this way. I don't care. The guy pissed me off, so I'm being 100% direct in this case, not gilding the lily. Everything I said is my opinion, and it just so happens that's all negative. Let the guy deal with it, I don't give a damn.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Developer

Its hard to take someone seriously with a name like poop.  ::)

DontTreadOnMe

Let the kid alone, hes made an effort, so its not that great, so what? I think hes got the message, infact i think hes probably never going to come back.
When i was 12 I took up 3d modeling, looking back at it it looks like crap, but then i thought it was amazing. And since ive improved, when I first showed my work to the world, no one said it was lame. This place seems like a nice comunity, friendly and helpful. But if you tear someone apart like this they are never going to build up the self esteem to try again.
Hes worked hard on this im sure, and hes proud of it, so proud he released it to us. And all we tell him is its lame? When your baby child first scribbles on a piece of paper do you tell him its lame? No you encourage him.
This guy ahs done more than many of us have, hes released a game. Like the first release of any game we should help him improve it. Hes got his foot in the door, with some work he can open it.
So you guys should be ashamed of yourselves to say the least!
For those of you who posted helpful criticism im sure he has taken it into consideration.

My apologies for this rant, but its reli annoyed me. Adults sometimes think they r too great... why not go watch matilda and then youll learn all about it.

Sorry - Rich
Seeing as I really shouldn't have to get up at such an ungodly hour as 7am, ill put my watch forward by 5 hours to make me feel better...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk