Errors initializing 320x200 resolution

Started by CaoTong, Thu 17/02/2005 08:23:03

Previous topic - Next topic

CaoTong

Ã,  Ã,  Ã, On several games I have downloaded, I have gotten an error statement that says somthing to the effecto of "could not intalizize 320x200 graphic mode ... can not set video mode".
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Now I've been through the forumns and this seems to be a problem with laptop computers that run XP... I have tried many ways of correcting this, and none of them work... I am at a loss.Ã,  Does anyone know the answer to my problem?

Gilbert

Try running the setup programmes (if present) of the games and tick "use letterbox resolution", you may also try using 640x400 or windowed modes.

CaoTong

Ok... that worked for a couple of them... not all of them.  It appears that if setup is a batch file that doesn't work.  I think I remeber some way around that... but then again I think I remember it not working either.  If you have futher suggestions... I'm all ears.

Gilbert

Yeah if the setup programme is a batch file they're most likely DOS compiled games.
You may try this to make some of them works (but you may need to find appropiate versions of ACWIN.EXE as the newest one would probably not be compatible with older games). OR, if you can run DOS games directly under your windows, open up a command prompt, change the folder to that folder with the game and type:

GAMENAME.EXE --setup

to access the DOS game setup programme (where GAMENAME.EXE is the name of the game's executable).

Alternatively, if you're sure that a game is a windows compiled game, but without setup.exe provided, you may try this to access the setup.

CaoTong

Hehe... works for some; but alas most seem to be unaffected by this.  I appriecate your trying.  If you think of anything else...

Gilbert

Hmmm did you mean the setup programme not working, or the games failed to work after changing the options?
If they failed after changing resolutions playing the games in windowed modes is a last resort (provided the games are windows compiles).

Elessar

Hi,

I have a problem running all AGS games (for example Ben Jordan 1,2,3, 5 Days a Stranger etc. etc) in the dafault resolution 320x200. Therefore, I use 640x480 which is not clear enough, since this games were designed to run on 320x200

I get the following message: "There was a problem initializing graphics mode 320x200 (16-bit). (Problem: Cannot set video mod)
Possible Cause: Your graphics card driver does not support this resolution.

I have an Asus ATI 9200 SE and I 'm using Catalysts 4.10 for Win98SE.

Is there a solution to this?

Bernie

Here's a few things you could try:

-set your desktop to 16 bit
-install updated graphics card drivers
-make sure you have the latest directx stuff installed
-use the letterbox resolution (320x240) instead of 320x200

If nothing works you could run the games in windowed mode, they should at least be playable that way.

EDIT: Oh hey, did someone move this reply? I'm pretty sure I was the first one to comment. Or maybe I'm just goin' cuckoo.

strazer

If you compare the subject lines, it looks like two topics have been merged.

Elessar

I have tried all that Bernie, but nothing seems to work. I am able to run the games on window-mode, but the window is extremely small...

Privateer Puddin'

run in 640x and in windowed mode, if that's still too small, you could change your monitor resolution when you want to play AGS games

CaoTong

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't seem to be able figure out how to run the game in a window (or leterbox mode for that matter).

Gilbert

If the game is compiled for windows, enter setup mode, there should be two checkboxes:
- Run in a window instead of full-screen
- Force alternate letterbox resolution (may not be available if it's compiled with an very old version of AGS)

If the game is compiled for DOS, there's no way to make it run in a window except running it with a windows engine.

necros

link to KB with "windows engine" is broken (404), pls fix

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: necros on Fri 16/11/2018 13:12:11
link to KB with "windows engine" is broken (404), pls fix

Uhh, this forum thread in 13 years old...

Not sure what were you searching for exactly, but some of the old engines may be downloaded using this torrent from AGSArchives:
https://www.agsarchives.com/agsarchives.torrent

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk