Ben Jordan Case 4

Started by Grundislav, Sat 05/03/2005 10:21:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Grundislav

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I'm so on it!

EDIT - the intro alone is reminiscent of "10 Little Niggers" and "Rose Madder" - that spells "very good" in MY book. And the intro music is simply superb! I am SO going to enjoy this!

EDIT 2 - Aw, why d'you have to make em so short? One of these days you MUST do a full-length Ben Jordan. Congrats on another great game - you keep getting better and better! Pity that once again the notepad system isn't used to it's full potential - but the cellphone is. Great use of the cellphone. Good characters, a very good plot (very influenced by Rose Madder, I assume ::) ) and wonderful music make this a must have.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

AGA

Making a series of 9 in which one or more of them was full-length would be kinda time-consuming...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

True, true. Ah well. Maybe it's better this way, then - it keeps us perpetually going "More! More! MORE!!!"

Kneel. Now.

Hollowman

Well, I just finished the game, and I in my personal opinion, this is the best yet. The sound, atmosphere, story, dialog and graphics are all spot on. All of the characters were very well done and each one had a distinct personality. The puzzles were all logical and at no point was I lost for long without any clear idea of what to do next.

The only real gripe I had was I wished there was more background on the ghost, who it was, why it was there and so on. But that is minor. Overall, it was a great experience.

Top stuff.

EDIT: I did notice two small bugs.

Spoiler
The cursor seemed to get stuck on the arrow pointer after coming out of the inventory sometimes and the only way to change it was via the popup GUI at the top.

Also, the notepad didn't update at all after advising me to find the key in the lobby, storeroom and stairwell.
[close]

Ubel

YES! It's finally here! :D

I've been really waiting for this! Downloading...

Ashen

I noticed the same bugs as Hollowman.
Also, I didn't like the way the phone worked. The delay before dialing didn't seem long enough - it seemed like, if I paused at all between digits, it dialed the 'invalid number' and I had to start again. Maybe it could take num pad input as well?
Also also:
Spoiler

50 years in the place, and no one's ever looked under the rug? Do they never dust?
[close]

Other than those (tiny, piddling) things, another great BJ adventure. I'm torn between wanting to wait longer, for you to develop a full-length episode, and wanting the next one A.S.A.P., however long.

Rui:
Do you mean "Rose Red" (Steven King haunted house thing)? "Rose Madder" is another SK story, but I don't remember it being anything like BJ4. (I'm not trying to be funny - if I'm wrong I'll have to go back and re-read it.)
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh. Yeah, Rose Red, thanks for correcting me. Why did I get them confused? Apart from the "Rose" bit, they're nothing alike...

Kneel. Now.

aussie

Just finished.

It's been awhile since an adventure game got me hooked like this one. It's one of those games that inspire you to keep making your own.

Ben Jordan has definitely become an AGS classic. I've played them all but I think this is the best one of the lot. I have no doubt you'll make it even better next time (because the ending screams 'sequel!', doesn't it?).

I guess part of the interest is the fact that I didn't really get stuck.

Spoiler

Well, I did. Once.

When I got into that little maze of rooms I was wandering about without knowing what to do.

But I got out all of a sudden without knowing very well why, and it was downhill from then on.
[close]

At the end I was really wishing it'd take longer to finish.

Two thumbs up!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Fawful has fury

UP

Oh yeah, finally! Ooh, I've been waiting for this (I hope your ego doesn't get too big...)

I'll be back with comments...

Sir Rabbicat

This is great. Easily one of the classics. Grundislav, congratulations...

DontTreadOnMe

One heluva game... i love it, spent the last two hours playing it... atmosphere is amazing... my phone went off and i leapt outa my seat (but i guess I'm a jumpy guy).

I havent finished yet (infact I'm stuck for the first time, ive always seemed to know exactly what to do up till now) the puzzles arent easy, but the answers are logical.
This is the first one of this series ive played, and I'm loving it, definetly going to go back and play the others. youve done some amazing stuff in this one, absolutely inspiring.

Keep up the GREAT work - Rich

edit: that was awsome, great game, just finished (it would appear the answer was staring me in the face) i got 106 points, wonder where i missed a point? Ill be sure to try the other games. This is truely one of the gems to come out of this community!
Seeing as I really shouldn't have to get up at such an ungodly hour as 7am, ill put my watch forward by 5 hours to make me feel better...

Haddas

When is "Ben Jordan - The Machinima" coming out?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Nice work, Grundislav.  A solid adventure with light to mid range puzzles, a (moderately) interesting supporting cast (I'm sure we'll learn more about them in future games) and an extended cameo by Percival Quentin Jones!  The only problems I noticed were purely subjective nitpicks that I won't even bother to elaborate on, since they in no way detract from the cool that is Ben Jordan.  Ausgezeichnet!

MoodyBlues

*Teen Girl Squad voice*  I am SO there.   :D  *downloads*
Atapi - A Fantasy Adventure
Now available!: http://www.afwcon.org/

[Cameron]

Downloaded. Played. Excellence. 8)

Joyce

I think I am nearly finished but stuck.
Spoiler
I am in the horror room, Otto is no help, Alice has gone out the window and I am left with the mad woman. Tried ringing the bell and hitting her with pipe. What do I do?
[close]

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Joyce

Spoiler
exactly what you tried.  You ring the bell, which makes the old bag grab her ears and then you club her in the gut with your pipe.  You have to ring the bell first or it tells you that you cannot lift your arms.  The end.
[close]

Kweepa

Pretty cool!
Reminded me a lot of 5/7DAS, but without the impossible puzzles.
I got 107 points - no secret bonus?

Thanks!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk