Ben Jordan Case 4

Started by Grundislav, Sat 05/03/2005 10:21:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Grundislav

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I'm so on it!

EDIT - the intro alone is reminiscent of "10 Little Niggers" and "Rose Madder" - that spells "very good" in MY book. And the intro music is simply superb! I am SO going to enjoy this!

EDIT 2 - Aw, why d'you have to make em so short? One of these days you MUST do a full-length Ben Jordan. Congrats on another great game - you keep getting better and better! Pity that once again the notepad system isn't used to it's full potential - but the cellphone is. Great use of the cellphone. Good characters, a very good plot (very influenced by Rose Madder, I assume ::) ) and wonderful music make this a must have.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

AGA

Making a series of 9 in which one or more of them was full-length would be kinda time-consuming...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

True, true. Ah well. Maybe it's better this way, then - it keeps us perpetually going "More! More! MORE!!!"

Kneel. Now.

Hollowman

Well, I just finished the game, and I in my personal opinion, this is the best yet. The sound, atmosphere, story, dialog and graphics are all spot on. All of the characters were very well done and each one had a distinct personality. The puzzles were all logical and at no point was I lost for long without any clear idea of what to do next.

The only real gripe I had was I wished there was more background on the ghost, who it was, why it was there and so on. But that is minor. Overall, it was a great experience.

Top stuff.

EDIT: I did notice two small bugs.

Spoiler
The cursor seemed to get stuck on the arrow pointer after coming out of the inventory sometimes and the only way to change it was via the popup GUI at the top.

Also, the notepad didn't update at all after advising me to find the key in the lobby, storeroom and stairwell.
[close]

Ubel

YES! It's finally here! :D

I've been really waiting for this! Downloading...

Ashen

I noticed the same bugs as Hollowman.
Also, I didn't like the way the phone worked. The delay before dialing didn't seem long enough - it seemed like, if I paused at all between digits, it dialed the 'invalid number' and I had to start again. Maybe it could take num pad input as well?
Also also:
Spoiler

50 years in the place, and no one's ever looked under the rug? Do they never dust?
[close]

Other than those (tiny, piddling) things, another great BJ adventure. I'm torn between wanting to wait longer, for you to develop a full-length episode, and wanting the next one A.S.A.P., however long.

Rui:
Do you mean "Rose Red" (Steven King haunted house thing)? "Rose Madder" is another SK story, but I don't remember it being anything like BJ4. (I'm not trying to be funny - if I'm wrong I'll have to go back and re-read it.)
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh. Yeah, Rose Red, thanks for correcting me. Why did I get them confused? Apart from the "Rose" bit, they're nothing alike...

Kneel. Now.

aussie

Just finished.

It's been awhile since an adventure game got me hooked like this one. It's one of those games that inspire you to keep making your own.

Ben Jordan has definitely become an AGS classic. I've played them all but I think this is the best one of the lot. I have no doubt you'll make it even better next time (because the ending screams 'sequel!', doesn't it?).

I guess part of the interest is the fact that I didn't really get stuck.

Spoiler

Well, I did. Once.

When I got into that little maze of rooms I was wandering about without knowing what to do.

But I got out all of a sudden without knowing very well why, and it was downhill from then on.
[close]

At the end I was really wishing it'd take longer to finish.

Two thumbs up!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Fawful has fury

UP

Oh yeah, finally! Ooh, I've been waiting for this (I hope your ego doesn't get too big...)

I'll be back with comments...

Sir Rabbicat

This is great. Easily one of the classics. Grundislav, congratulations...

DontTreadOnMe

One heluva game... i love it, spent the last two hours playing it... atmosphere is amazing... my phone went off and i leapt outa my seat (but i guess I'm a jumpy guy).

I havent finished yet (infact I'm stuck for the first time, ive always seemed to know exactly what to do up till now) the puzzles arent easy, but the answers are logical.
This is the first one of this series ive played, and I'm loving it, definetly going to go back and play the others. youve done some amazing stuff in this one, absolutely inspiring.

Keep up the GREAT work - Rich

edit: that was awsome, great game, just finished (it would appear the answer was staring me in the face) i got 106 points, wonder where i missed a point? Ill be sure to try the other games. This is truely one of the gems to come out of this community!
Seeing as I really shouldn't have to get up at such an ungodly hour as 7am, ill put my watch forward by 5 hours to make me feel better...

Haddas

When is "Ben Jordan - The Machinima" coming out?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Nice work, Grundislav.  A solid adventure with light to mid range puzzles, a (moderately) interesting supporting cast (I'm sure we'll learn more about them in future games) and an extended cameo by Percival Quentin Jones!  The only problems I noticed were purely subjective nitpicks that I won't even bother to elaborate on, since they in no way detract from the cool that is Ben Jordan.  Ausgezeichnet!

MoodyBlues

*Teen Girl Squad voice*  I am SO there.   :D  *downloads*
Atapi - A Fantasy Adventure
Now available!: http://www.afwcon.org/

[Cameron]

Downloaded. Played. Excellence. 8)

Joyce

I think I am nearly finished but stuck.
Spoiler
I am in the horror room, Otto is no help, Alice has gone out the window and I am left with the mad woman. Tried ringing the bell and hitting her with pipe. What do I do?
[close]

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Joyce

Spoiler
exactly what you tried.  You ring the bell, which makes the old bag grab her ears and then you club her in the gut with your pipe.  You have to ring the bell first or it tells you that you cannot lift your arms.  The end.
[close]

Kweepa

Pretty cool!
Reminded me a lot of 5/7DAS, but without the impossible puzzles.
I got 107 points - no secret bonus?

Thanks!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Ubel

Just finished it! It was AWESOME! :D
But I didn't get all the points.

*Pablo goes to replay the game*

Joyce

Progzmax

[/spoiler]Thank you so much, I was able to finish the game with 107 points. I kept ringing that darn bell and kept hitting her but of course not quickly enough. Thanks again[/spoiler] great game

MoodyBlues

Finished it last night!Ã,  Very, very good.Ã, 

Stuff I liked/loved:
Spoiler

1.Ã,  Your characters just kept getting more and more developed, especially Ben.Ã,  I actually felt kind of sorry for him when his friends disappeared.
2.Ã,  Percival came back!Ã,  ;DÃ,  I'm beginning to really like him; he certainly surprises me!
3.Ã,  Cute boys that look like Shaggy + British accents = curling of the toes and squeaking with joy.
4.Ã,  The young woman's talking portrait was very well done.
5.Ã,  The introduction was probably the best cutscene I'd seen in a while - the first background just blew me away.
6.Ã,  The puzzles weren't too difficult, probably because they were pretty logical.Ã,  This might be the first adventure game I've ever played where I didn't have to use a walkthrough!
7.Ã,  You teased us with hints of what the next game will be like (Ben working with the others, going to Japan, etc.).Ã,  This makes the series seem more like a coherent whole.
8.Ã,  The cell phone was well utilized.
9.Ã,  Nobody died!Ã,  Yay!
10.Ã,  The German's gagging animation creeped me out, as it should have.
[close]

Stuff I didn't care for:
Spoiler

1.Ã,  The Horror himself isn't particularily interesting, and thus not terribly scary.Ã,  He could have used a background, some motivation... well, as much as a malignant spirit would need, anyway.
2.Ã,  The backgrounds, by and large, are lovely.Ã,  However, they sometimes suffer from skewed perspectives, particularily the travel room.
3.Ã,  The cell phone is pretty unforgiving; it processes the numbers too quickly.
4.Ã,  Whacking somebody in the stomach is an exorcism?Ã,  Meh.Ã,  I would have preferred a more complex solution.Ã,  It would be more realistic and just a more climactic ending.
[close]

Can't wait for the next one, for sure!Ã,  Ã, :D

aussie

I agree with MoodyBlues in regard to the Horror

Spoiler

I would have avoided showing the Horror itself until the very end. It's scarier when you don't know what you're up against.

[close]
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Snarky

Have to say I thought this was a little bit of a let-down from Ben Jordan 3 (which was one of the best games I played in 2004, mind). I felt like I was walking around looking for triggers to advance the plot in unrelated ways most of the time. I didn't care for the maze, and the concept is kind of hackneyed. The cell phone annoyed me partly because the interactions were quite challenging (having to write the phone numbers out on paper?), and partly because you wouldn't actually need to do all that on a real cell phone. Why couldn't BJ just add Miggs and Percy to his phone book?

There was much that was good, too. The graphics continue to improve in quality. The English characters were only slightly over-the-top, and it's funny how satisfying it is as a player when the main character gets to have a good time.

One of the things I've always found odd about the Ben Jordan games is the complete acceptance of supernatural phenomena. From Scooby-Doo to The X-Files, most series about the occult try to keep you guessing about the true explanation. Here you're never in doubt that it's a real ghost at work. It does give the games a certain naive charm, I have to say.

I was hoping this game would be a breakthrough in quality for Ben Jordan, and it wasn't. It is, however, a solid addition to the series. Thanks Grundislav!

adam100

Tremendous , wonderful game! The graphics are just stunning for an amateur game , the music great as always and the plot- well masterpiece. The atmosphere of the game is also very involving , it's almost like Five and Seven days a stranger. There were moments where I was really on the edge. For example:

Spoiler

In the end scene when 'something' was coming up the stairs I almost pissed my pants with that long wait and that costant 'splash' sort of sound driving me crazy. And when I saw that it was just Madam Rosenberg(or what was her name) I was like-"Phew" , and then again I jumped on my chair. :)
[close]

I hope to see more of Ben Jordan!!

Adam

littleone

Quote from: MoodyBlues on Sun 06/03/2005 21:13:03
Finished it last night!Ã,  Very, very good.Ã, 

Stuff I liked/loved:
Spoiler

1.Ã,  Your characters just kept getting more and more developed, especially Ben.Ã,  I actually felt kind of sorry for him when his friends disappeared.
2.Ã,  Percival came back!Ã,  ;DÃ,  I'm beginning to really like him; he certainly surprises me!
3.Ã,  Cute boys that look like Shaggy + British accents = curling of the toes and squeaking with joy.
4.Ã,  The young woman's talking portrait was very well done.
5.Ã,  The introduction was probably the best cutscene I'd seen in a while - the first background just blew me away.
6.Ã,  The puzzles weren't too difficult, probably because they were pretty logical.Ã,  This might be the first adventure game I've ever played where I didn't have to use a walkthrough!
7.Ã,  You teased us with hints of what the next game will be like (Ben working with the others, going to Japan, etc.).Ã,  This makes the series seem more like a coherent whole.
8.Ã,  The cell phone was well utilized.
9.Ã,  Nobody died!Ã,  Yay!
10.Ã,  The German's gagging animation creeped me out, as it should have.
[close]

Stuff I didn't care for:
Spoiler

1.Ã,  The Horror himself isn't particularily interesting, and thus not terribly scary.Ã,  He could have used a background, some motivation... well, as much as a malignant spirit would need, anyway.
2.Ã,  The backgrounds, by and large, are lovely.Ã,  However, they sometimes suffer from skewed perspectives, particularily the travel room.
3.Ã,  The cell phone is pretty unforgiving; it processes the numbers too quickly.
4.Ã,  Whacking somebody in the stomach is an exorcism?Ã,  Meh.Ã,  I would have preferred a more complex solution.Ã,  It would be more realistic and just a more climactic ending.
[close]

Can't wait for the next one, for sure!Ã,  Ã, :D

Talking painting? Ã, Where does this happen? Ã, That explains why I only got 106/107 points!

A marvelous game. Ã, Please sir, I want some more!! 8)

Vizzerdrix

Awesome game, my bedsheet shell of protection against spooky atmospheres failed several time to protect me from this freaky ghost sound you get everytime you get a point. :) Too bad, the ghost sound was so loud that I had to lower the volume and I missed most of the musics, sounds and these awesome ambient musics similar to those in Thief 1.

I also found a little graphical glitch,
Spoiler
In the lobby, it's possible to walk above the trap, and if you walk behind the trap, there's a walk behind glitch.
[close]

Other than that, everything was fine. Keep up the good work. :)

PS.
Spoiler
Nice 5days reference at the end of the game, I had to pause the game to remove the laugh tears out of my eyes before continuing. :)
[close]

flocking

Just finished and thought this was a brilliant game, im my opinion the best Ben Jordon yet by far !
I got really engrossed in the game, and unlike most other games kept on playing untill id finished rather than getting bored part way through.
I did find one 'small' bug though;
Spoiler
After i got into the basement, i called the house owner, but the conversation was me telling him id found a basement and didn't know how to get into it.
[close]
Other than that my crusor got stuck a few times, buts thats it. Well done! Can't wait for the next.

MoodyBlues

Quote from: littleone on Mon 07/03/2005 04:09:06

Talking painting? Ã, Where does this happen? Ã, That explains why I only got 106/107 points!

A marvelous game. Ã, Please sir, I want some more!! 8)

No, no, no!   :D  I'm talking about the dialogue portrait!  There are no talking paintings in the game.  Hmm... though that's not a bad idea...

InCreator

Whoee! This part of BJ series finally "pressed ALL of my buttons"...

* aaaaaanimations! Excellent. There was about enough of them. Despite some unpolished walking here and there, you really risked and made many very difficult animations.
* No! to boring, long dialogues! The thing i didn't like so much about previous BJ games were long and uninteresting dialogues, but this time, all the essential information is talked and handful of offtopic text too, without too much babbling. I love this!
* Music! Best I have heard for a long time, in an AGS game.
* Puzzles... I just finished it without any need of walkthrough, though it wasn't too easy after all. Well, some things were expectable, every time I ran out of ideas what to do next, I just somehow *knew* that walking out a door will make someone standing in a hallway, which - triggers a cutscene with new leads. This kept game progress so fluid and non-frustrating.

Overall, superb job.  :D

To give a suggestion too... as always, try to keep an eye on bad antialiasing cases in BG graphics and pay a little more attention to perspective, for example, the painting in "travel room" was waaay off...

EKM

Nice...I just finished it. I think this game is the best one out of the series so far. I did like the combining of items in the previous games though.

I guess the ending was cool...but it happened so fast and it wasn't as good as Ben Jordan case 3.

One thing I liked about this game though...was that there were other characters solving the case with you. That was an added bonus.

As I was playing, this game started to remind me of all the old Sierra adventure games haha...

Haddas

Is percival going to appear in the next one too? I'm getting quite fond of the character... In a non-erotic manner I might point out.

Pelican

Great stuff! The pacing of the game was good. I never found myself getting stuck long enough to get bored, and ended up finishing it in one sitting. It was interesting to have other people to work with, and making the most of their skillls. I do hope to see more of them!I also would have liked to have found out more about the horror itself, it lost a bit of scariness from not having much of a background.
I agree about the last scene:
Spoiler
I was scared witless hearing those footsteps coming up the stairs, even though I had a fair idea of what was going to happen
[close]

Oh, and I finished with 107points.  ;D

splat44

I just completed the game, although I got 103 of 107 point, I though to give my comments.

That part I like was the sound effects within the seance.

Will other characters appear in further other ben's games? That will be great.

I do find funny that I haven't owner of house quite often!

The cell phone was ignoring since it didn't operate as a regular one.
All Cell phones usually has at least two buttons, which one of them is On/off and last
one is sent.

Therefore, I recommend you take above implementation in other versions of Ben game.

By the way Pelican how were you able to get all point? Perhaps, you write what you done in the hint section.

Vizzerdrix

About all these score question, IIRC, there wasn't any optionnal puzzle to solve for the last points. Just make sure you talk and phone to everyone on every occasion and after every important action. And stay late with the guy and the girl (forgot their name) you should have all the points after that.

MillsJROSS

I enjoyed the game, thoroughly. As always, the games keep improving in my eye. There were less odd moments in the game where I was wondering what I was doing. The dialog is becoming more fleshed out and realistic, within the context of the game. A few ackward moments here and there, but overall very well put together.

The music fit the game perfectly, as it usually does. And ambient sounds were perfect. I enjoyed the little tidbits of animation you put here and there.

The plot was cohesive. Any complaint I have is minute. But here they are anyway.

Spoiler
As mentioned before the cell is unforgiving. It also doesn't make sense to be on a timer. My call phone doesn't start calling until I press the call button. However, that said, I enjoyed the extra bit of effort in allowing us to type in the number. Even, though, yes, realistically we might have programmed it into our cells.

The only other complaint I have, is the very corny ending. With the guy catching the girl. It was just too convenient for me.
[close]

Other than that, though. It was a great game, and I'm looking forward to the next few.

-MillsJROSS

Vel

Wow, yet another great Ben Jordan game... maybe not as good as the third one game-play wise (since it was bilinear), but there are definitely some improvements in other areas, like character development and storytelling. Can't wait for the next one!

viktor

man this is sweet. The game looks great as farr as I hawe played it. But I can't get the sound to work  :'(. WHY ME!!! I'we been looking forward to another BJ game and the sound dosn't work. Shit.
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

AGA

Um. Go into options and turn it on. I messed up, and shall rectify.

Jhumjhum

Absolutely fantastic game! Definitely one of the best games! Too good man! Much better than many commercial adventure games made these days. I dunno how do u do it everytime? Ben Jordan keeps getting better and better!

The game was so good , I didn't mind the arrow cursor problem.
The timer in the phone was getting difficult a bit coz I'm slow.

But I'm scratching my brains trying to find out how did I get 106 points? Can we please get the pointlist?? ;D

Did u by any chance think of releasing the ..er..source code (at least of Ben1) so er.. it would benifit newbies like me. :D

Hope the next game is really long, like Gabriel knight. I know I'nm greedy but I just wanna keep playing Ben Jordan. I finished this one in 2 days, I hope the next one is big enough so I finish it in 20 days! (without getting badly stuck!)

Sinitrena

It is a really great game, like all Ben Jordan games. But, in my opinion, it's not the best of them: I think Ben Jordan 3 was better. It has more atmosphere which is the most important part in an adventure game. Nevertheless I liked it and I'm looking forward to Ben Jordan 5  :D

Problem

This game is very good. The Ben Jordan Games keep getting better. I think the story wasn't as interesting Ben Jordan 3 and the puzzles were very easy, but you did a fantastic job at character development. I liked the overall athmosphere and the dialogues. The only thing to complain about is the way the cellphone works, but I got used to it.
Take the gameplay and athmosphere of Part 3, combine it with the characters of part 4, and Ben Jordan 5 will be absolutely brilliant  ;D

GarageGothic

Great game. I really enjoyed it. Not quite as much as BJ3, which imho had a better story, but it was very atmospheric. Perhaps a bit more background for the Horror would have made it even scarier. Overall the artwork and animation was lovely. And the characters were well written and sympathetic.

Now, a couple of bugs I came across:
Spoiler

1. Right before the blood in the shower, if you talk to Otto before talking to Alice, the English guy screaming will never be triggered. This seems to be a dead end.

2. Minor graphical glitch. When entering the full phone number, the 8th digit will disappear off the display.

3. As somebody else mentioned, it's possible to call Miggs and tell him that you can't open the basement door, even after visiting the basement.
[close]

UP

Well, I don't have much to add to everything before me... Still great quality, not totally as, eh, ground-breaking as I had anticipated, but still just amazing work.

About the whole game:
Spoiler
I kinda liked the not-so-puzzle-packed, but more like wandering around-thingie you had there, though maybe it missed a few puzzles, at least something in the end, some "grand finale" or something like that...

Why, oh why didn't he wear his old clothes, even for just a bit? I'm quite disappointed... It's a trademark...
[close]
Nothing else even a bit new to add...

Thank you.

Seleceus

I, too, must add by accolades for this game.  Another very good sequel to a series that appears to be improving some aspect of development with each episode.

Keep up the great work, and thank you.
Insert cliche here  ->         <-

Reko

One very nice game. I greatly enjoyed both BJ3 and BJ4; once thing I'll say is I particularly like the Sierra-style dialogue system, the way the portraits are displayed animated alongside the speech seems to add a lot to the dialogue.

JB player

umm,i have found the book in the shelf but i cant find the key,some say its under the rug in the lobby but when i try using hand on it he says he hasnt any reason to look under the rug! help! Ã, ???

BlackDragon1200

Good game, not quite your best (BJ3 still wins in that department) but a good game none the less.

Now for some of my grievances. One of the big problems I have had with the Ben Jordan series has been the puzzles. While I agree that it is always good for a game to be able to be finished without a walkthrough or excessive “trying everything on everything” you must also make sure it doesn't just become an interactive story. I have never needed a walkthrough with any of the Ben Jordan games but at the same time I have never been stuck either. This I find as a problem as none of the Ben Jordan games have ever presented me with a challenge and the only thing that has kept me playing has been the wonderful story lines. This hasn't been a huge problem thus far but after playing BJ4 I have started to get a little worried as I have to say that puzzle wise it was one of the easiest adventure games I have ever played. This is by no means meant to be a slight against you in any way but simply constructive criticism on what has the potential to be an awesome adventure series. I play adventure games for both the storyline and the puzzle solving challenge and it pains me to find such a great series lacking so greatly in one of these departments while shining so bright in the other.
Spoiler
(though I also would have really loved to have found a little more history on where the horror came from and why he/she hated the bell)
[close]
Fear is the mind killer...

JB player

helloooo!? still cant find it!!

BlackDragon1200

Quote from: JB player on Tue 29/03/2005 09:22:23
helloooo!? still cant find it!!

Spoiler
The book has a lock on it. Maybe you could force it open with something?
[close]
Fear is the mind killer...

JB player

i gave blood in a jar and lighted candle to madame tilby (correct name?)
but whats the deep personal thing!?

sunshinegold

Quote from: JB player on Tue 29/03/2005 18:17:27
i gave blood in a jar and lighted candle to madame tilby (correct name?)
but whats the deep personal thing!?

Have you spoken to Percy lately ???

JB player

hmmmmm....simon is gone and otto and the other girl are researching and tilly is in coma...i went to my room,got a call from percy...now what?

JB player

oh,also got my window open

Neil Dnuma

Do not double post. And check the thread in the hints section.

JB player

but i cant edit,im only a guest

Nightfable

Oh yeah! 107 out of 107 pts!Ã,  8) This game was great, it creeped me right out! I love it!! :D

2ma2

It was very good! I've seen these Jordan games here and there and thought I had better check one of them out. You managed to deliver and maintain a lovely tounge-in-cheek horror feeling throughout the story. The puzzles were a tad easy though, and why oh why are we not allowed to look where we want to look directly.. ;)

Nice to see a rich gallery of characters, albeit the relationship between them get's a bit tossed in your face sometimes. Other times it gives more depth, but mostly it's a bit of "I know where this is going"-kind of set up. But hey, most games don't even try, and other games overdo it more and are praised for it's depth (like a specific series of japanese rpgs.. ho-hum ;))

Big kudos to all small but atmospehre enhancing animations. I have been away from the scene for quite a while now, so perhaps it is a part of what's expected now, but I really enjoy all tiny things, like the german turning from his computer. Simply great!

Storywise it is quite smooth but stunted here and there. I like the fact that you take a seclosed area and alter it in order to enhance the exploration value. It's something I loved in "Colonel's Bequest" and you do not often see it. Other times it's uncertain what I have to do to get things going further. I had problems getting the meeting in the travel room going, and I don't quite know exactly what made it trigger.

107 points baby  := Keep it up! I'm definatly playing some more Ben Jordan I tell you that!

ildu

Wow. Just finished the fourth case and I'm stupefied in awe. I played through all previous cases yesterday and finished the fourth one today.

My likings in order:
1. Case 4: Great story, very good set of characters, a simple small play area (which didn't affect my judgement other than positively. It's weird how compact this little game is. It's long enough to get a good resolution and a full adventure, and it's short enough not to get bored with the areas and the story. I think the restricted areas made this game rock. In any other story, I'd be bored with the same rooms time after time, but in this it didn't bother me at all. You set a premise for companions in future episodes and you definately captured the atmosphere. Great.

2. Case 3: Good story, although the whole witchcraft in medieval village doesn't usually rock my boat. It was more of a dialog-oriented game than the first two cases, where much was done just combining items (which I love). The game had lotsa twists that worked well and alternate endings.  ;D

3. Case 1: A good enough story for a first case. Really liked the puzzles although the game was pretty short. Not so challenging graphically as the following cases. I liked the premise more than in case 2.

4. Case 2: Although this had a long and puzzle-filled plot, it didn't do it for me. It was all over the place at times, such as having too many characters introduced too quickly. Also, I didn't go for the story too eagerly. A good game to follow-up case 1 anyhow.

Anyway, congrats on the great game. Almost shopworthy.

RyRayer

It was very good game. Some cutscenes were quite spooky. Hmm, puzzles were quite easy, BUT not too easy. That mobilephone was smart thing to add.

/Andy\

Brilliant!

This was the best yet. I've completed all these games in order and loved every one more than it's precursor.

Keep 'em coming Grundislav, they are true gems.

The only problem I had with this game was that I finished with 106 points! Arrrg!

Anywho, excellent game!

nihilyst

Yeah, Ben Jordans fourth case was nearly absolutely brilliant. Clever dialogues, atmospheric and with nice puzzles all the way.

The cellular phone was quite interesting, although I on my first tries I was way too slow, and almost every time it dialed, when I hadn't finished the number. Dialing should have been done with an extra button.

The trapdoor looked strange and a little bit wrong in perspective.

The notebook was some kind of redundant.

The animations were wonderful, but ...

... it was too short. What a pity!

benjordany cheers
nihilyst

the dint factor

i love the House of leaves reference, i'm suprised no one else has picked up on that

Ghormak

What is this House of Leaves? I thought[1] it reminded me of that movie 'The Navidson Record'
I

Ã,  s
Ã,  Ã, a
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, w

Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  last year.

[1] BJ4 is great. I'm pretty happy with how the music turned out, but as they say 'eget beröm luktar illa'.*

*I did my best with this phrase, it's Swedish and means something like "own praise smells bad". Search me what that means. But I guess it relates to what happened today. I showed Thumper my notebook of sketches and she really liked them, she said I should open my own shop. Which I'd do if I could get up the nerve to go outside my apartment, even Lude has stopping coming around, I should just burn this whole forum down...
Achtung Franz! The comic

Adamski

--------------------------------
2 No, you're probably thinking of the film about Daedalus the labrynth he constructed. Beware the Minotaur.

Hobbes

Just finished case 4 tonight. I haven't played case 1-3 (shame on me!), but I must say Grundislav, you did a fantastic job!

The plot is fun, yet serious enough to make it believable within its own context. Elsewhere in this thread someone made a comment on just walking around hoping to trigger stuff. I sometimes felt like that as well. For me this approach to gaming worked very well. It makes it very "real" in a sense of the word to play that way, for me.

Kudos on a fun saga of paranormal activity!

Am currently solving case 3. :)

sergiocornaga

Playing them in reverse order, eh? Strange...

ildu

Quote from: SURGE on Sun 10/04/2005 06:20:53
Playing them in reverse order, eh? Strange...

Maybe that's BJ's next case...

evenwolf

Grundislav just keeps surprising me.

What a great series, sometimes I wonder if G has like six ghostwriters and 8 interns working under him. And then I think "how can I become one of them?"

i've played each game and beat them all. All of them were challenging but easy enough not to give up.  My thanks to G daddy.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

AGA

Quote from: evenwolf on Fri 15/04/2005 11:16:30
Grundislav just keeps surprising me.

What a great series, sometimes I wonder if G has like six ghostwriters and 8 interns working under him. And then I think "how can I become one of them?"

i've played each game and beat them all. All of them were challenging but easy enough not to give up.  My thanks to G daddy.

He had a ghost-writer on the first two games, and for bits of the other two: meeeeeeee! As for how I gained the honour, let's just say I did him... some favours.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I always knew you were a deviant, AGA.  Good show!

Remco

And again, another great Ben Jordan game. The point of the game was the horror, and in my opinion that really worked. The scream of the guy at the shower with the blood made me really remind 5 days a stranger and 7 days a sceptic. I loved it.
There is only 1 entertainer, the Q entertainer!

lineke

i loved all 4 of them... played them all in 2 days... not really hard puzzles but still fun... there is just one thing.... where is nr 5?!

Hammerite

Quote from: AGA on Fri 15/04/2005 13:41:42He had a ghost-writer on the first two games, and for bits of the other two: meeeeeeee! As for how I gained the honour, let's just say I did him... some favours.
you were the guy who designed the whole compass, fire thingy inthe first one werent you?
cuz if you were  >:(
;D
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

T_ed89

Yes, while lineke brought it up, is there some who knows anything about the procces of the game? I've read somewhere that Grundislav lives where some of those big hurricanes where, and in that case, is there someone who knows if he is alright?

I know that the tree where this discusion was held where closed, and that Grundislav can and should take how much time he needs to finish the game, but I'm starting to get worried.
I mean, the game was announced for Hallowen, even if the game has been delayed I think that one should have herd something... I don't mean to start a discusion, I just wonder if there is someone who got any relevant facts, because I do really looking forward to this game.

Hammerite

I PM'd him a while back and he said that its all finished but Ghormak just needs to finish off the sound and music. So if it's progress you want, he's the guy to ask.
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Ben Jordan Fan 1

T_ed89

Alright, thank you for the response  :D
Will not play the demo however because I don't want to spoil the fun...
...and sorry for my bad english...

Gilbert

Don't dig up old thread if there're nothing really new and worthy to post. Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk