PLUGIN: AGI Graphics Emulation v0.3

Started by scotch, Tue 08/03/2005 07:32:32

Previous topic - Next topic

scotch

I am not sure if it'll ever be useful to anyone, but I made this this evening, and here it is.

If you've played old Sierra games, or some modern low res games you've seen it.  This gives you the 160x200 background/character effect, keeping 320x200 guis and text.
"Why can't I just scale my graphics to do this" you might ask, well there are a few problems you might not thing of right away, one major one that ruins the effect is the way the character can seem to move half a pixel, which looks very wrong.  This forces all pixels into the right grid.

Here is a shot of Ghormak and Helm's 'Gladiator Quest' which used the plugin, instead of PC EGA this was emulating the C64 multicolour mode:

It just does that graphics resolution, not other AGI game things, such as parsers or keyboard control, if you want any of these you should script them yourself .

Also, in the event that you do use this you'll probably get some bugs, I promise to fix them if I can.

Edit: uploaded a working screenshot.

Pumaman

Hehe, nice work scotch, it's a cool effect :)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Loverly! I think I'll add it to my SQ2 template! :D

And soon I'll add it to my website, anyway. No problem there, I gather?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Gilbert

Fun (though I vowed I'll never use plugins).
By the way, I think there should be a way to disable the effect (passing the parameter as -1 maybe), in case this is used as an option for fun in a game, not meaned to be a persistence effect.
EDIT: also noticed it works with 320*200 only, would be great if it can detect the mode corresponding and make the res. 160*240 (for 320*240) and 200*300 (for 800*600/400*300 games).
EDIT2: It doesn't work for 256 colour modes (well it's actually silly to use 24/32 bit for AGI style 16 colour graphics right?), there're alternate black pixel columns.
EDIT3: Won't work if you setup the game to run at 640x400 either.

scotch

Thanks Gil.

I updated it, should work in all colour modes now, and there is a function to turn it on and off.

(No of course there is no problem hosting it, Rui)

Perhaps the source could be useful to someone as an example, very similar to the template though.

Vel

Hey scotch, great work - will test it as soon as possible.

Scavenger

AGI Emulation Plugin (last I saw of it): http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=19601.0

I would like to use this in my game (for a special area of the game) but unfortunately, my game runs in 320x240. The author posted the source but the host went down - does anyone have the source to this plugin or if they have, managed to change it to support other resolutions?

I did several searches, and not turned up anything useful on the subject, so either I'm blind or there is nothing. The plugin looks awesome and would be a great asset to my game, which is unfortunately under a prohibitively tight schedule.

Edited by mod: Moved to appropriate place.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere or this is in the wrong forum. :)

NsMn

That sure is nice! Perfect for such games.

Are you also able to do one for "NDS-Games", with the screen beeing higher than width ?  ;)

Julius Dangerous

Bishy

I'm sorry, but does anyone know how to get this plugin working? The readme isn't very helpful. I don't know where to put these script commands or how they should be used.
I've tried adding them like this:

void SetAGIScalingMode(1);
int GetAGIScalingMode();
void UseAGIScaling(1);

But I just keep on getting errors when compiling.

EDIT: I've managed to get it working. Turns out you have to write those variables WITHOUT the "void" and "int" parts within a function.

So for example:

Code: ags
function game_start() {
    SetAGIScalingMode(1);
    GetAGIScalingMode();
    UseAGIScaling(1);
}

Then it will work. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk