"The Draft Drifter Who Dashed Doctor Dunno" - Back Online!

Started by TheMagician, Sat 19/03/2005 11:19:59

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMagician

FINALLY ... AFTER 4 DAYS WITH SERVER PROBLEMS THE UPDATED VERSION OF "DDDDD" CAN BE DOWNLOADED AGAIN !
Thanks for your patience.

Hi everybody!
Darkhouse Entertainment is proud to present its first game:

If you are interested in a game with profound characters, logical storyline, stunning visuals, and a download size below 15 MB ... then this game is not for you.

~~~~~
Story:
~~~~~

Germany in the year 2002. Young men who turn 18 have to decide whether to attend the German Army for 10 months or do community service instead. During the day these community workers help disabled persons, attend children in kindergarten or work as janitors.
However ... at night ...they show their true colours. They are the best kept secret of the German Secret Service. They are fighting against crime and terror all around the world.
You play Agent Roger who has just been ordered to fly to a forsaken Caribbean island and find out whether or not a strange professor known as "Doctor Dunno" has kidnapped a renowned archaeologist.

This is part one of a two part game.

~~~~~
Features:
~~~~~

-A mysterious Caribbean island and its strange inhabitants (like Kurt, an eccentric showmaster who broadcasts his "Who Want's To Be a Millionair"-like quiz show to non-existent viewers.

-Inventive puzzles (for example how to build a bomb from a coconut)

-Action-packed cutscenes (in 16:9 pana-vista-action-vision)

-Love, Comedy, a little bit stupidity

-English and German version

-two Easter Eggs and much more!

~~~~~
Screenshots:
~~~~~

A picture from the action intro sequence: the 5 "D"s of the title logo blasting apart.

An altar deep in the jungle.

Will Roger be able to turn this shabby bar into a  disco dance palace? And then - does he really have to?

For more screeshots look here.

~~~~~
Download:
~~~~~

Now that you've read throuh all this you really deserve to download the game! (you need Winrar to unzip it)

Download "The Draft Drifter who Dashed Doctor Dunno"
   ~~UPDATED VERSION 1.1~~

===
Fixes Bug where you could skip the quiz beach scene and not get the mattock.
Fixed Bug with Magnet-O-Security not accepting the correct code.
The stone seller will stay longer at the beach so it is easier to solve the puzzle.
You can now open AND close the inventory system with the TAB key.
And a few other small things.
===

Yes, it is 16 MB but its a fast server with loads of bandwidth and no downtimes!

Please read the Readme file before you start playing. There are some things in the interface which differ from the standard AGS game.

Have fun and feel free to post any comments!
Stefan

One more thing:
As you play the game you will find that most but not all music and graphics were done by me.
I own legal copies of all this stuff. However, if you have any problems with me using these things feel free to send me a PM.

Phoenix

Hello Tomorrow Goodbye Yesterday

TheMagician

Which file do you mean? The .rar file? I just downloaded it and unzipped it with Winrar ... everything worked well.

Phoenix

No the DDDDD.exe file everything loads apart from that becouse winrar says it is curpt
Hello Tomorrow Goodbye Yesterday

TheMagician

Well, I'd like to know if other users experience the same difficulties.
As I said, it worked fine for me.

Edit: I guess the problem is solved as nobody mentioned it anymore.

Sztyopek

With FlashGet and the newest WinRAR I managed to download & unpack the ddddd.rar, there was no problem.
Now let's see the game!

TheMagician

Yeah! Glad to hear it's working for you, Sztyopek ... have fun!

Ubel

WOW!!!Ã,  :o That intro rocks!Ã,  ;D

I'm stuck though:
Spoiler
How can I get one of those stones on the beach? I've got the bottle with piece of paper, and the liane. What do I need to do now?
[close]

TheMagician

@Pablo:
Glad you're enjoying it!
QuoteThat intro rocks!
Well I need to give you something for a 16 MB download  ;D

Here's a little hint for you:
Spoiler
Did you already take the piece of paper out of the bottle? Now if you do that ... what will remain in the bottle? And what does the stone seller want?  And there is one more object you can find right now ... it's hidden somewhere
[close]

Sztyopek

WOW! Excellent!
Second part?

I have found a little bug:
When interacting with the scribbling in Quizz Island instead of just looking at it,
the quizz game scene is skipped, and the inventory item will not appear in the inventory, but Roger will refuse to go back to te quizz, so you can never obtain that item.

Some comments I found necessary to mention:
1.  it is a bit inconvenient the cursor is changed to walk mode when clicked
2. finding the hole on the altar is kinda pixel-hunting
3. the doctor is staying for too short time when selling rocks
4. it would be more confortable if the inventory screen could be dismissed by pressing again the TAB key
5. at the beach (near the big rock, and near the fishing rod) it is difficult to distinguish the possible exits on the same side
6. at the fishing rod it is difficult to realise you can walk up to the top of the hill
7. the solution for the puzzle of getting the rock, is not a very rational one, you should emphasize more the uselessness of the empty bottle when looking at it on the inventory screen, I think

and attention:
8. carbon is required to prepare gunpowder, so you should provide some place to burn some paper or wood.

And about the easter eggs: how can I know if I found them? I think I found some, but not sure...

Sztyopek

P. S. I especially liked the bomb preparation puzzle  :D
Great one!

TheMagician

Many thanks for your comments Sztyopek! I think the player's feedback is the best thing a game designer can get!

QuoteSecond part?
I hope you won't have to wait another three years for it.

QuoteI have found a little bug
damn ... doesn't sound so litte to me  ;) It was a shortcut for me to skip the whole quizz beach scene ... and then I forgot to remove it. I'll get it fixed and upload a new version as soon as possible.

Quote1.  it is a bit inconvenient the cursor is changed to walk mode when clicked
Hm...we really tried to make the interface as convenient as possible ... and we thought that right clicking all the way to the walk cursor every time you looked at an object isn't that convenient  ;)  btw...did you use the Mouse Wheel?

Quote2. finding the hole on the altar is kinda pixel-hunting
I'll change it in the updated version tomorrow.

Quote3. the doctor is staying for too short time when selling rocks
my betatesters said that as well ... don't know why I didn't change it ...  but I will now.

Quote4. it would be more confortable if the inventory screen could be dismissed by pressing again the TAB key
You're right ... I'll change it.

Quote5. at the beach (near the big rock, and near the fishing rod) it is difficult to distinguish the possible exits on the same side
I know ... but how should I mark them? I figured that you can easily walk between those 3 screens so I didn't bother with it.

Quote6. at the fishing rod it is difficult to realise you can walk up to the top of the hill
What would you propose? Should the plateau be a hotspot with a name displayed in the top GUI bar?

Quote7. the solution for the puzzle of getting the rock, is not a very rational one, you should emphasize more the uselessness of the empty bottle when looking
The German version does emphazise it ... I guess we didn't do a good translation job here (I'll change it for the next version)

Quote8. carbon is required to prepare gunpowder, so you should provide some place to burn some paper or wood.
If part 2 requires the assembly of a bomb again we'll definitely keep that in mind  ;D

About the easter eggs
Spoiler
The first one shows you one of the backgrounds in the drawing style of part two. The second one is a note written by the doctor revealing part of the story of part 2. It's in the room with the sandcastle
[close]
Did you find them?

btw ... really good job. You finished a game which took us three years ... in three hours!  ;D
Thanks again for the comments!
Stefan

Justas (guest)

Spoiler
Where and how does one get the bottle?
[close]

Khris

Quote from: TheMagician on Sat 19/03/2005 16:26:04
Quote5. at the beach (near the big rock, and near the fishing rod) it is difficult to distinguish the possible exits on the same side
I know ... but how should I mark them? I figured that you can easily walk between those 3 screens so I didn't bother with it.
A possible solution would be to draw some bushes between the two different paths to optically seperate them.
I probably would have never found the plateau with the fishing rod if I hadn't read about it in this thread.

Like this:

TheMagician

@Justas:
Sorry for replying so late.
Spoiler
To get the bottle go north in the start screen (the one with the palm tree). You will come to a beach with a big cliff. Walk to the top and interact with the fishing rod ... you'll get a bottle with a note in it. Just take the note out of the bottle and your set.
[close]

@khrismuc:
I like your paintover. If the plateau is really so hard to find I'll consider changing that background in the next version!
Did you already finish the game khrismuc? How did you like it?

Rosie

Quote from: TheMagician on Sun 20/03/2005 21:40:22
@Justas:
Sorry for replying so late.
Spoiler
To get the bottle go north in the start screen (the one with the palm tree). You will come to a beach with a big cliff. Walk to the top and interact with the fishing rod ... you'll get a bottle with a note in it. Just take the note out of the bottle and your set.
[close]

@khrismuc:
I like your paintover. If the plateau is really so hard to find I'll consider changing that background in the next version!
Did you already finish the game khrismuc? How did you like it?

Very nice game.  Really enjoyed playing it.  Great art work and music.  But I am stuck at the end.  Professors note said 2-2-5 but when I press that number on pad to get boat, nothing happens....... Am I missing something here?  Other people in forum got different numbers on their notes........Thank you

Joyce

I have same problem as Rosie, my numbers are 332 and they won't work on the pole to get boat either

Sztyopek

As I remember, I found on the doctor's note his favourite numbers were 3, 4, and 5 (or 2-3-4, or something similar), and it worked.
But before I found the note I had tried every combination, and no one had worked... maybe I forgot some combinations to try out?

TheMagician

Hi everybody. Thanks for playing the game! Really, the whole team appreciates it!Ã,  :D

I just had a look into the skript and figured out that there really is a bug with the numbers at the pole.

Because of people like SztyopekÃ,  :D (no offense)Ã,  we skripted so that you can't just go to the pole for the first time and just work through every single combination ... find the correct one ... and finish the game without ever visiting the bar.
You need to have the note from the professor in order for the correct code (which is generated randomly at the start of every new game) to work.
And here is the BUG: you need to have the inventory item (note) EXACTLY ONCE (because that's how the script checks it at the moment). However, you can interact with the unconcious professor as often as you want and you get another note every time ....
To solve the bug you will need to load a previous save game (if you don't have one you can download it right here) and interact with the knocked down professor only once ... type in the numbers at the pole ... push the round green button ... and you should be able to finish the game.

You can also download version 1.1 of the game which fixes another minor things as well right here.

I really hope this bug didn't ruin you gameplay.
Stefan

Sztyopek

Quote from: TheMagician on Mon 21/03/2005 10:27:27
Because of people like Sztyopek  :D (no offense)  we skripted so that you can't just go to the pole for the first time and just work through every single combination ... find the correct one ... and finish the game without ever visiting the bar.

Well I tried this just for beta testing, and I hoped it would work this way  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk