The Elevator!

Started by Barbarian, Sun 24/04/2005 23:38:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelican

I quite enjoyed the game despite its brevity (you did only have a week after all!). And you definitely seemed to have captured the spooky/scary atmosphere. I was quite literally afraid of trying to open the door because I was expecting a monster or something on the other side! If you can make a longer game in the same fashion, I will be the first to download it. Keep up the good work!

Raider

wow niceley done.
I enjoyed the sound effects. Creepy.
Good theme.

=The=Brat=

man i cant even find the metal strip

Andy

....Well this is just the kind of game ya wanna play at 3am in the dark  :-\

*meep*

I enjoyed the progressive build up of the game, reminds me of the film 'Saw'...which is one of my favourite movies, so I'm not complaining.

Nice visual feel to the game, and considering you only had one room to work with, I think it is an excellent game.  :)

Oh yeah, like Pelican, I was also afraid of opening the door hehe

Quote from: TheBrat499 on Thu 19/05/2005 09:03:21
man i cant even find the metal strip

Spoiler
Look around the middle square on the right hand side. The metal strip should be the bottom edge of that square. If you can't pick it up, you probably have to do something else first.
[close]

What a loser.

Did you render it all?

magintz

This reminds me of a game I once owned for my Amiga. Can't remember much as I only had the demo, but you had to somehow find a way out of a lift after waking up in there or something. Once you escaped it was the end of the demo and asked me to pay some ridiculous amount for the full game :P
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Dragon

nice game! can't wait for the sequel. ;D

What a loser.

Barbarian are you still active? I loved the atmosphere in this game and the graphics are very good. What program did you use to render them?

Barbarian

Hey everyone, thanks for the nice comments about the game. I see that it's gotten a lot of downloads already, and most people who play it seem to enjoy it.

Alias: Yep, I'm still around, just I been super busy lately with life, job, and wrapping up a 2-year project of making a book that will very soon be published (so I'm about to be a Published Author)Ã,  ;D
Ã,  Ã, But, as far as the graphics in the game, I think I may have answered that already on the first page of this thread, but, basically I took tons of "screen shots" of the "Silent Hill 4" game, then I did a lot of work to edit and clean up the various graphics I needed for the game, I mostly worked with Paint Shop Pro for doing that.

Ã,  Ã, It seems that most people who played this game have liked it and would like to see it expanded on. So, once I have the time, I may re-do this game into a more full-sized game, or, I may come up with a completely new "Survival Horror" type of adventure game. I already have a bit of work done on another project like this, and kicking around a few more good ideas about some other storylines, etc... that would make a good adventure game.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Queen Kara

Even though you used borrowed graphics , it's great because I think it would've been less creepy with drawn / other art like how I and others can draw an elevator , have trouble with walking animations , ect.  I'm not saying we're bad or that we can't make creepy games , it's just easier to get freaked out I think by really good renders / 3D than drawn art. Especially when you have it so the PC is alone or seems alone. Even in games like Silent Hill 2, you mostly are going through creepy and disturbing situations alone. Maybe it's the mix of realism ( the textures and colors of the elevator and the character...ect. ) and surrealism ( being stuck in elevator and having no idea how you got there...no apparent way to get out...ect. ) *shrugs* Lastly , I can understand how hard it is to make "original" 3D because I've kinda tinkered around with stuff like that before and I was totally clueless , even supposedly easy programs like Daz....I played around a bit and quickly got frustrated and bored 'cause I was so clueless , ended up deleting it and have decided just to tell others who actually know how to use these things and stuff where they can find Daz. *laughs* I was disappointed with the ending , I was expecting / hoping that a monster or insane killer / robber was going to attack him or something like that.
Klaatu Verata Niktu?

Lionheart

Great game, the only probs i had with it was a lot of pixel hunting, and somewhat cheezy dialogue.

It didn't seem like he was that freaked out to me.

The Elevator Graphics, and character were beautifully done, and the heartbeat only added to the atmosphere giving that chill up your spine.

Good job for a weeks worth of work though.

MYKAYEL

I love strange thriller games (like SILENT HILL) so I probably will like yours. I'm working on a game called DEAD MAN WALKING. It's not mutch but since it's my first game It's ok. Can you or anyone give me a site to post it at?
Great game by the way.

pinkslipper32

Came across this game by fluke and wow im loving it, little bit tricky to get the metal bar but somehow managed it (fluke i think) - problem is, im now stuck with the brick wall - ive managed to remove a brick, got the telephone receiver, called someone for help, then the phone went dead and im not sure wot im supposed to do now.

Im pretty thick when it comes to these games but love playing them and want to say a big YAYYYYYYY to the creator but an even bigger yayyyy if somone will please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Barbarian

Hey Pinkslipper, glad you liked my little "Elevator" game. Thanks for your nice comments. 
It was made for the first "One Room, One Week" competition, so I didn't have much time to make the whole thing, so it's a rather short game, and perhaps the puzzles were not as well thought out as they could have been.

Getting the metal bar is not quite a "fluke", but, you have to get the elevator to "shake" two times before the metal bar is loosened enough to get.

Seems like you managed to figure out most of the game already, and if you perhaps look around at some things you may have already looked at before and see if anything changed, or perhaps try playing around with the elevator buttons a bit? Keep at it and I'm sure you'll escape soon.

If you're really stuck, there's a Hint's & Tips thread for this game over at:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=20515.0

You could post any of your questions for help with the game there.
   I may perhaps "re-make" this game into a more longer game, but, currently I'm in the works on a fresh adventure (Survival Horror adventure theme, similar in idea to Resident Evil / Alone in the Dark type of games).

Best wishes.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

pinkslipper

ooooooh Yayyyyyy thanks for that, i'll give it a try - I was clicking on everything last night for about 2 hours but I was kinda tired so I might have missed something - will let you know.

How is the new game coming along? Is The Elevator the only game that you have got posted up or is there more of yours that we can play until the new one is finished?

pinkslipper

ok ok ok its official - I'm dumb! But I got outta the elevator woooo hoooo wicked little game, I thought something was going to attack me when I walked out the elevator and in a way was relieved that nothing did but also sad that it was the end :(

Anyway enough waffling - brilliant game!

TheCheese33

If you need some tips on how to make a good survival horror game, checking out Yazhee Croshaw's 5 Days a Stranger and 7 Days a Skeptic would give you good ideas. The way the monsters lunge at you are good ways to study.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

Barbarian

Quote from: pinkslipper on Sat 08/10/2005 10:21:32
How is the new game coming along? Is The Elevator the only game that you have got posted up or is there more of yours that we can play until the new one is finished?

Hiya Pinkslipper. Sorry for the delay of my reply. I got a bit busy, then I forgotÃ,  :P
Ã,  So, you finally completed "The Elevator" game. Hehehe, I guess I did something right to keep you addicted to playing it for so long.
Anyways, glad to know that people out there are still enjoying my little "Elevator" game.
Ã,  Ã, 
Ã,  Ã, You asked what other games I've worked on.Ã, 
Well, if you want a good laugh, you might want to check out The Great Stroke-Off! adventure game. It's a winner of the last ATC competition, and heavy on the humor side of things.

Ã,  The first made-with-AGS adventure game I completed was Escape From Evergreen Forest, which I admit is rather rough in parts. Still, a lot of people have downloaded and enjoyed it.

Ã,  The current game I'm working on, well I won't give away too much yet, but let's just say that if you liked "The Elevator", then you're gonna love my new project I'm working on.Ã,  It's still in the early stages yet, so I will let people know more about it after I get more done on the project.Ã,  ;)

Zacmiester220

??? ??? Help Where Is The Display Panel ??? ???
:) :) :)And By The Way Loved The Game Brilliant :) :) :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk