AGS v2.7 Refresh 2 now released!

Started by Pumaman, Mon 02/05/2005 18:56:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Oncer

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 02/05/2005 21:09:23
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention -- the DOS engine is no longer included.

When I had my hard drive crash I lost my DOS compiler installations, and I really can't be bothered to get it all downloaded and set up again unless anyone really needs the DOS build.

Well... I really need the DOS build! If you don't include it I'll stay at 2.62. We want to release our game for Win, DOS and Linux, so... I won't use 2.7 if there is no possibility to build the game for DOS   :D
I'm also going to wait for the linux build before upgrade, but I'm sure it will be released in a few days
Beside that, the DOS port has a better performance if you use real DOS

RickJ

Problem Using RestoreGameSlot() from Script Modules -

Calling RestoreGameSlot() from a Module Scirpt's game_start() event is now disallowed; fair enough, as was previously explained the game isn't fully initialized at that point and so ... 

So in my MiniGame module I moved the RestoreGameSlot() from the game_start() event to the repeatedly_execute() event.  Currently game_start() sets a flag and repeatedly_execute() tests the flag, counts to 10 (i.e. 10 actual game cycles, not "while") , and then calls RestoreGameSlot(). 

When RestoreGameSlot() is called the following fatal exception occurs :

"... exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN>EXE at EIP 0x0045C050; program pointer is +6, ACI version 2.70.861, gtags 492,4"

Is this something that can be fixed or am I doing something wrong?

monkey0506

If I test my game and hold the Ctrl key while the game loads, I get this error message:

Code: ags
---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio

Unable to initialize your audio hardware.
[Problem: Failed to init digital sound driver]

OK   

As this is the game that I'm building the scrolling dialog script module in there isn't any sound, so I don't know if the sound would actually work or not, but I don't see why me holding Ctrl while loading a game would disable the sound card.  (I discovered this by accident...)

Edit:  I forgot to mention, the game does load, but according to this message the sound card won't work (not sure if it does or not).

Edit again:  Just to verify I checked it again, and I have to press Ctrl + T (for testing the game), then release both keys, then hold Ctrl again for this error to occur.  And it has occurred consistently every time I've followed this procedure.

Scummbuddy

I ususally only get this if i have windows media player running or paused in the background.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Pumaman

Quote from: RickJ on Mon 09/05/2005 23:34:18
Problem Using RestoreGameSlot() from Script Modules -

Thanks for the bug report, you're right, this happens if you restore/restart from within a csript module repeatedly_execute or rep_exeC_always. I'll get it fixed.

monkey0506

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Tue 10/05/2005 02:24:39
I ususally only get this if i have windows media player running or paused in the background.

I did have WMP paused in the background when I first discovered this, but testing it again:

1.  Open a game in AGS.
2.  Press Ctrl + T (test game).
3.  Release Ctrl and 'T'.
4.  Press (and hold) Ctrl.

I got the same error.  With no programs running in the background (other than Norton AntiVirus, my scanner, my graphics card monitor controller, and various other Taskbar Icons).  So, it had nothing to do with WMP in this case.

Pumaman

Yeah, DirectSound is a bit funny about this, the application seems to have to have the focus and be idle when you try to initailize it, otherwise it fails.

You'll get the same error if you click away from the game while it's loading.

Pumaman

Due to the crashing bug RickJ reported, I decided it would be prudent to release a new version to fix it. I also included a couple of other minor fixes at the same time.

Unless there are any other critical bugs found, this 2.7 Refresh will be the final official version in a week or so's time.

If you're not sure whether you got the Refresh or not (since the file name is the same as the previous version), go into the editor Help, About option. It should be v2.70.600.

HeirOfNorton

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 02/05/2005 18:56:18
* Auto-number speech lines now does DisplayAt and DisplayThought.

Just so you know, while this does work with DisplayThought, it does not work with charachter.Think. Those lines remain unnumbered when auto-numbering.

HoN

geomis

i hope i am not sounding stupid but can you start a game on V2.62 and later start editing iit on V2.7 i am really new to this
IF I CAN'T WHY SHOULD YOU?!
WHAT JUST CAUSE YOU WORK AT THE BANK MEANS YOU CAN TAKE MONEY OUT?!It does?.....WHY DON'T PEOPLE TELL ME THESE THINGS!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Yes you can, but if you are that new you might like to start on 2.7 right away. It's THIS close to being oficially (sp?) released, and has many more features. ALso, the way scripts are made is very different, but I don't suppose that'd be a factor, if you're that new I kinda assume you haven't started scripting yet, which is cool.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

geomis

either scirpting is a name for a group of things or some thing bye it self it sound hard of course im a noob it is like a was suddenly droped in the USA i
dont know how really every thing is and every thing works
IF I CAN'T WHY SHOULD YOU?!
WHAT JUST CAUSE YOU WORK AT THE BANK MEANS YOU CAN TAKE MONEY OUT?!It does?.....WHY DON'T PEOPLE TELL ME THESE THINGS!

Dave Gilbert

Ahoy CJ!  Wonderful work.  I am enjoying the new system muchly.  I only have one question about the object.visible property...

I thought I'd be able to use the object script name when turning objects on and off. like:

object[oClosedWindow].Visible=false;
object[oOpenWindow].Visible=true;

But it gives me the following error: "Type mismatch: cannot convert 'Object*' to 'int'"

I replaced the object script name with the object number and it compiled and worked fine, but it seems to defeat the purpose of having the object script names to begin with.  Is this a "feature" or am I doing something wrong? :)

Pumaman

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Sun 15/05/2005 13:18:14
object[oClosedWindow].Visible=false;
object[oOpenWindow].Visible=true;

It's actually much simpler than that:

oClosedWindow.Visible=false;
oOpenWindow.Visible=true;

:)

Dave Gilbert

HAH.  Thanks CJ!  I had a feeling I was doing something dumb.

Ginny

Great to see this new release! I was going to wait until it's final, but I didn't, and I seem to have found some glitch/bug/something -

When editing GUIs, I cannot change the default state of a Button's left click property. So for example, in the default game template, I can't change any of the buttons in the Iconbar to do anything other than 'Set Cursor Mode', and with any other button it seems to be stuck on 'Run Script'.

Did anyone else have this problem?
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

strazer

Pumaman

Hmm you're right, thanks for pointing it out. It's amazing how far a version can get before these things get noticed.

monkey0506

Huh...Interesting. :o

BTW Dave, just FYI, all the script O-names are used in the same manner... ;)

monkey0506

I would just edit my last post, but I didn't log in... ::)

Anyways, I have something of a bug to report.  It's very minor/trivial/not-really-that-important, but I figure I'll report it since it has been causing me some grief in trying to figure out what the problem was.  If the text displayed on a label has the exact width of the label, i.e. in the font I am using "Holy crap!  I can't believe it worked!  This is so friggin' awesome!" without the quotation marks has a width of 318 pixels.  This is also the width of my label.  The " awesome!" was flooded to a new line within the label which caused graphical errors.  Or perhaps this is considered a feature that when text has the exact width of the label the label floods the text.(?)..

In any case I figured it out and fixed the problem (changing the bounds from > width to >= width in a while loop).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk