Invincible Island Remake (Major Update)

Started by macon, Sat 14/05/2005 00:27:10

Previous topic - Next topic

macon

This is a remake of the ZX Spectrum classic INVINCIBLE ISLAND.

The original was a text/graphic adventure which I have wanted to upgrade to a point and click game for some time. However you'll discover that it has not evolved into such a game, instead it is more like a text adventure than a graphical one.

The reason behind this is that a month ago the retro remakes website http://www.retroremakes.com introduced a competition to create games for severely handicapped persons. The way they play games is to use a controller with a presser that maps a button from the keyboard. So the aim was to create a game that uses one key only. I started a discussion on the adventure related chat forum and from the feedback I got some sort of adventure game was feasible. After watching other entries to the competion come flooding in I only saw the usual suspects, Frogger, Darts, Mini Golf and jump over the hole on a scrolling background. So I decided OK lets give those less fortunate than me an adventure game. With only six days to go I compressed this 60 room game into 38 rooms and managed to enter it seconds before the deadline. This means only the game was submitted and there is no introduction, instructions, splash screens or credits. I do mean to address this and an updated release will appear in the future.

My original thread in adventure related talk and chat is here

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=20300.0

The game is available here

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?category=101&action=download&game=561

And a couple of screenshots

UPDATED VERSION 22nd FEBRUARY 2007

I had a lot of feedback for this game, most of which was from people saying they couldn't work out how to play. This has been addressed.

NEW FEATURES IN THIS VERSION

Increased locations from 38 to 60
Replaced some place-holder graphics
Added music
Added Instructions
Created an in-game tutorial
Wrote a walkthru with game map

Andy Mason

jane

When I eventually got the game to run, I get a basic screen shot with instruction box but the scrolling in box is constant. Not too sure how to play this or if this is a bug?

Wretched

It's all controlled with the 'space' key.

Problem

I just played it (didn't finish yet), and I have to say that you did a great job! Maybe the options change a little bit too quickly, but it was fun to play. Considering the short time you had to do all the work, I'm very impressed  :)

Babar

Great job. Heartfelt congratulations. You made a game perfectly fit for the purpose you made it.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

BorisZ

Great, congrats!
I don't agree that options change too fast, the only thing I would change is to slow down only first option (start of scrollling).

macon

UPDATED VERSION 22nd FEBRUARY 2007

I had a lot of feedback for this game, most of which was from people saying they couldn't work out how to play. This has been addressed. I have decided to still keep this as a one-switch game, I would rather start a new project than adding mouse support.

NEW FEATURES IN THIS VERSION

Increased locations from 38 to 60
Replaced some place-holder graphics
Added music
Added Instructions
Created an in-game tutorial
Wrote a walkthru with game map

Andy Mason

Da_Elf

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteReplaced some place-holder graphics

Huh, you'd actually released it with placeholders?

Anyway, all the others additions are impressive. ANd now that I can say this without diggin up an old thread, congratulations. I recently played it all the way through - at first the interface put me off, but it was amazing how well it worked. After a while, it felt perfectly natural. A most enjoyable remake.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

thewalrus

What is it a remake of? A C64 game??? I never heard of it to begin with. Well, I suppose I will download and give it a try....
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

macon

It is a remake of a ZX Spectrum text adventure released way back 1983. Text adventures are now more commonly known as Interactive Fiction and were very popular on 8-bit computers like the Spectrum & C64.

Andy Mason

thewalrus

Yes, I am well aware of the good old text adventures. They were a part of my childhood. I wish someone would make a graphical remake of the original Zork (that would rock)!!!
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

Da_Elf

or maybe the old bards tale games from c64 days. those were fun. i remember making a few c64 pure text games. never did get the hang of adding the graphics till i got to the c128 days.
10 if a$="left", goto 20
11 if a$="right", goto 30
12 if a$="", print "i dont know what your saying"
13 goto 10

hehehe. (i dont remember if that was the correct syntax)

thewalrus

Lol, Da_Elf, I remember doing that myself. I used to try to make those purely text games on the C64 too..... Ohh, the memories....

Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk