Satan Quest

Started by Trapezoid, Wed 30/10/2002 23:38:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezoid

Satan Quest, the game where YOU are Satan!

This is my short game. My goal with this was just to get something out there. Now I'm able to say that I made a decent, completed game in AGS, and it's just a wonderful, tingly feeling.
The game is about Satan, who is summoned from Hell by a timid man who wants to trade his soul. Satan's a businessman at heart, so he'll go to fair lengths to carry out this man's wish.
Enjoy.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD IT!

edmundito

oh no! trapezoid makes game!!!

* netmonkey runs away in fear

I'll come back later when I play the game. :)

---

I have returned.
not bad for a first game... and it teaches us all a lesson, or something.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

MillsJROSS

This game is short and sweet. It's devishly funny. The music and sound effects are what make this game a must play. With that said, you all must play.

-MillsJROSS

Dave Gilbert

This game is great, dude!  Extremely short, but extremely sweet.  I especially like the way Satan walks.  

Are you going to create a longer game with Satan?  

-Dave

Trapezoid

Probably not, I'm already working on a full length game (see Suspico).

edmundito

You know, this is the perfect game for halloween.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Trapezoid

Yeah. I didn't even realize.
Y'know, all I needed was a jackolantern and Osama taking a dump and this could've been a MAGS game.

rookworm3

Cool game--- one question: it is not obvious where to click to get out of the office. Where do you click to get out of the office?

Nostradamus

That is the coolest game I played in a while.
Kudos!
The music was mods\chrille quality, very fit with the game.
I really hope you do a full length Satan game when you finish the game you're currently working on.

cockroach guy: You have to walk down to the center of the screen until you're out. It's not a single click, you have to walk.

Goldmund

Hey, really nice!
Pity it's not longer.
I liked talking animations a lot.

But... haven't you ever heard that satan has a tail?22?2!11! FOOL!
If you included tail I would like this game much more.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Trapezoid on Thu 31/10/2002 16:21:16Probably not, I'm already working on a full length game (see Suspico).

That's a shame.  This would make a great series of small-games.  Who doesn't like satan?   (Except for Davy Jones, of course)

-Dave

jannar85

The game was really good. I have no bad comments, everything was great!
Looking farward to the next one :D
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Robert Eric

Well, I guess there's only one thing to say:

Ã, Ã, 

Flippy_D

Quite fittingly, the file is corrupt.
*sighs*
nothing ever quite seems to go well with me, does it? speaking of which that paint don't work on ME.

And I've just burnt down my house.

And I fell off a ladder.

And I just plunged into an alternate reality.

*sighs*

Snake

Hey, Trappy, haven't played much yet, but so far it's freaking awesome. I love the animations and inventory screen :)

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Tarantula

I'm very impressed! I love the humor and the music... and the graphics are very fitting too! You really should make a longer Satan Quest, Satan is a very refreshing and hilarious character to play (a grrreat idea IMO).

Trapezoid

Hey, maybe. The game was going to be a bit longer originally, with Satan having to escape from jail... Maybe some time I'll make a special edition, with voice and stuff.

Gonzo

I loved the game, very funny and a great concept. A longer game with Satan would be great, but Suspico looks like it will be a great game too. I couldn't find the alternate ending referred to in the readme...

One time I tried to give the address book to Roger and the game stopped working, you might want to look into that for a future release.

Trapezoid

The alternate ending involves using a different object on Robert...

Flippy_D

Er, hello? I can't play the game. All I get when I download is a file- 126. I have to open with, and when I say AGS it says corrupt file....bah.

I'll try once more.

Trapezoid

I don't know what the problem is. Try downloading it again.

QuoteI have to open with, and when I say AGS it says corrupt file....

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Just run Satan.exe.

Flippy_D

I figured it out. I was right-clicking the link, thus, downloading the linked game (126, the game number specified by AGS) and not the atcual file. So I just have to skip on DAP this time and do it normally :)

Trapezoid

Inquisitor

Satan is propably the funniest character I've seen so far in an ags adventure!
I like the way he raises his arms when talking. and his way of talking :)

chars and animations are really good but I think the backgrounds are boring - too much gradient, hardly any detail.

something strange is happening when you try talking to the garbage bin (dunno why I tried that)

I'd like to play a longer game about satan!

Flippy_D

happened to me too :) the screen goes into letterbox.

The game is nifty.

Trapezoid

Oh. Haha, damn is this game buggy. The trashcan thing was just me testing out a LucasArts style box-in fade. I didn't really beta test this game or anything.

AqwellFoli 200X

Whoa!! That's one cool game! About your special edition idea, what about that world peace? Wouldn't that be a great mission for satan ;) heh, don't mind me..
but seriously, I liked the game although (as mentioned before) it was too short.

And, I really liked the alternate ending.
Spoiler
I mean the one with the pitchfork!
[close]
:D:D:D Cracked me totally!
"When the only tool you have is a hammer everything begins to look like a nail."

Gonzo

Just found the alternate ending Trapezoid, genius! Great animation and the text afterwards was funny.

I really like how you didn't cut any corners with making the game (apart from cutting out that prison sequence), like Satan moves so perfectly...the way he lifts his arms does kick ass too. It's a really polished little game, especially for a first project.

Trapezoid

Actually, I felt like I cut too many corners. Some things don't have enough responses, and you can't even talk to Robert when you go left of the field. I don't care though, this mainly qualifies as a joke game. (I'd still like to see it on the AGS awards list.)

Gonzo

Well you find with a lot of first/joke games people don't bother with some little things like you did. I was impressed anyway, well done :)

jannar85

The game was amazing!
Great art, animation, MUSIC :)
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

creed_malay

Quality product, really liked this one...
I agree with Dave, this'd be a good character/format to use for a series of short games...

Squinky

Impressive!!

I about crapped myself over the music, It's probably some of the best I've heard in ags games so far....it fit the mood perfectly....How the hell do you make music this well, cause I would love to know what programs and methods you use....

Really, this was excellent, all the way through....too bad it was so short....I really loved it though...

Barcik

What a cutie! Awesome Satan youv'e got there. Is Suspico the same style of gameplay?
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Trapezoid

Squinky: I use Cakewalk... I'm only good because I've been making music for years.
Barcik, Suspico will be much longer, with better puzzles and storyline, and it's gonna be 640x400. And slightly less silly.

Vel

Long live Elvis!!!!!!!!!!!

MrColossal

i love this game

i like how satan walks like he's pregnant
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Finer

Hehe. I like the animations a lot. Imagine how cool Satan would sound if the game had the talkie treatment! I also love the shadow effect around the inventory window. But what I love the most is the fact that you're using 1 pixel font spacing! How did you do it? Have I missed this option on the lastest AGS build? Did you use TTF? In any case, the game, whilst extremely short, it feels like a complete product :)

Trapezoid

I used LucasFan's (I think) TTF LucasArts font. I didn't notice 1-pixel spacing... Maybe that happens with TTF.

benbigbrain

Thats one funking amazing game!

LucasFan

Quote from: Trapezoid on Tue 19/11/2002 01:55:28I used LucasFan's (I think) TTF LucasArts font. I didn't notice 1-pixel spacing... Maybe that happens with TTF.

Normally that wouldn't happen in a TTF. The trick was to move the right border of the outline-characters a "pixel" (you know there are no pixels in TTFs… ;-) ) into the left direction. Now the following character would start from that border and both would overlap each other.

Finer

Yeah, after my last post, I've downloaded the 'monkey' demo you did, Lucasarts. I got this font editor Softy, and I've been playing around this the TTF fonts. Nice trick! Though making my own fonts as TTF is very time consuming and, somehow, it slows the game down when used instead of the SCI ones. On the characters that I've done, they don't come out 100% right on AGS. Still, I've learned something :)

ratracer

Let's start with negative points:
Hmmmm - none! Not even the fact that the game is very short - it's very enjoyable even so!

Positive: The best thing is the character! It's one of the best characters of all times. It's the best representation of Satan I've seen, even considering movies and such!
Brilliant. Keep Satan and do some more games with it, please!

The game itself is very pleasant. It's short and easy, but I don't have anything against games like that...

TheYak

If you ever do a talkie, I volunteer for the voice of Satan.  
Oh, and in tribute:

The ending song I think should've been used instead:
(1 Meg .mp3 that will last until Geo$hities pulls it)
Only click if you release me from liability for any harm done.
If it dies I'll replace with a .zip if anybody wants it.. (trust me, you probably don't)

edit: And if you can get geo$hities to give it to you.

Dorcan

Trapezoid, that was a great game !
I really enjoyed it, even if it was short!
And the music is excellent !

Butcher

Fine game there trapezoid!

I really loved the satan's "HAHAHA" animation
---------------------

FenderQ

A very funny game that I enjoyed very much.  My favorite part was a toss up between the music at the end and walking right through the glass door. :)

I found a possible minor game bug though.  Try repeatedly talking to the garbage can.  I know I am crazy for talking to a garbage can but you know how the saying goes "If it ain't broken, hit it again". ;D

Again, a very cool game!

Trapezoid

Yeah, I was testing out a box-fade, and talking to the garbage can was my test action. I accidentally left it in...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk