Spacewar episode 1 the crystal

Started by sameeralord, Mon 20/06/2005 09:21:01

Previous topic - Next topic

sameeralord

Hi Guys,
Inspired by the starwars series spacewar(episode 1 the crystal) is a quick short fun adventure game. This my first ever game and your feedback and suggesstion are really important to me. For some reason add game wasn't working on this site so I'll try that again later. So here the download link for my game and by all means I hope you enjoy the game. ONCE AGAIN I NEED YOUR FEEDBACKA AND SUGGETSIONS!!.Thank you!!Also if you don't know what to do ask me I'll help you!!

Here is the download link

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=573

Click the link below for a screenshot

http://12.22.230.41/MicroTech/Host/Images/sameeralord.PNG

I'll be back to see the replies!!
Friend in need is a friend indeed!!

sameeralord

Finally added the game,

If you want to check the deatails of this game here is the link!!

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=573

Regards

sameeralord

Please download the game using ags link so I would be able to number of download and  all that. Sorry for three posts at once guys just so excited!!

Gilbert

By the way, you can always edit your previous posts, just to avoid triple posting.

Phemar

sameeralord

Thanks for downloading the game Zor

Abisso

It's impossible to download the game, maybe cause the link loops into the AGS games main page.
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

sameeralord

Yeah the after clicking the ags games page link you would see a thing called download now and click that to download the game. You also would find info about the game there. Thanks!!

Lionheart

The game needs a lot of work, you shouldn't have even submitted the game without proper walk cycles.

sameeralord

Relax man the first game I have ever made!!. Anyways thanks for the constructive comments. I agree with everything you have said. To tell you the truth I'm not a proffesional artist at all. I'm just a kid who has no knowledge about proffesional art. I really wanted to make my first game and with out borrowing other's art I drew as best as I can.I think that is a point you should appreciate. As in the home page of this site it says AGS is for everyone. I'm currently making my next game and I would try to impress you in the game play of the next game!!. Not the graphics sorry everyone is not good at everything but I would still draw the best I can. Thanks for the constrictive critism. Greatly appreciate it. The last thing I won't to say is I hope you are reading this reply and I hope you would download my next game and tell me the improvements!!. Thanks

ilSilente

Quote from: sameeralord on Wed 22/06/2005 07:35:31
I think that is a point you should appreciate.
We surely appreciate this :)

Nacho

Quote from: Lionheart on Tue 21/06/2005 14:19:21
The game needs a lot of work, you shouldn't have even submitted the game without proper walk cycles.

Why not? For the price he's demmanding...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

sameeralord

Thanks ilSilente and farlander. You two prooved that everyone doesn't look at the point in a fully negative way. If you won't know why I'm writing a lot about this is please check what lion heart has wrote as comments/ suggestion for my game in the games page.Ã,  Few more for lion heart there "is at least one good thing in everybad thing". Hopefully this sentence would explain it " everydark cloud has a silver line". Also you have mentioned in the comments and suggestions you would give my game 0 out of 4 stars. Guess what you can't give 0 out of 4 stars for a game because making the game equalls one star. O= NO GAME MADE AT ALL.NOT EVERYPERSON can make games.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Chill, man. I just read Lion's review, and I haven't played the game yet, but however accurate or inaccurate what you have to do is think, "now why did he say that?". People don't make bad reviews just because. He did seem a bit harsh - either the game is as bad as he said or he was particularly struck by it because he particularly dislikes some things that you included in your game, I don't know. But whatever the reason, you must still listen to it. It's harsh, and it just about screams "I'm being polite about this, but this game just isn't worth anyone's time". But it's not destructive, and you should try to find out exactly why he said what he said.

One other thing - so this is your first game. That's great. We've seen first games with varying degrees of quality, and we know for a fact that just because a first game ain't so good it doesn't mean the author won't get better. But for that to happen, the author has to listen to ALL the criticism, even the negative (and ignore the merely destructive one, of course - which I haven't seen yet as regards to your game).

And, yes, 0 is a possible rating. No game at all would be no rating at all.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

sameeralord

Why doesn't anyone here understand me?. Of course I'm listening to what he says at the moment I'm doing many changes now for my second episode. I never said that I am not listening to other people so. I am currently making lot of changes according to Lion heart but not a lot in graphics department. Gosh I'll tell something I'm not a person who is carried away with things like this, if I am I won't bother making a second game!!. Ok think about the rating thing in this way in a screen you have to show some  game's rating. Then in the screen there would be nothing if the rating is O. You can simply give a game a rating of 0.

Nacho

Anyway, I still see a little bit pretencious that a guy who is 8 days older in AGS than Sameeralord is dare enough to criticise something...

Specially if that guy hasn't received any harsh critics for this...

See my point? Lionheart is doing something people hasn't done with him. I agree that accepting critics is part of the game, but receiving harsh critics about someone who is not clearly better than you (artistically talking) is (IMO) masochism.

I would have accepted a "I don't see that the walk cycles are correct, many people including me has problems with that! :D Have some tutorials *link* *link* and try to improve it" though...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Yes, that would definitely be better. And I agree that someone who hasn't had harsh critics for that shouldn't be so harsh on other things of what appears to be a similar graphical content. In fact, that screenie and the one that sameeralord linked to seem to be of similar quality, Lionheart's being just a tad more appealing to me.

However, I can understand Lion's feelings. When some basic things are overlooked, I immediatly grow foul in my mood. BUT, indeed, things shouldn't be said in such mood.

Still, everyone has a right to criticise. And even if he shouldn't criticise so harshly, he did. And one must understand why. If, sameeralord, you are doing just that, as you said, then you are, by all means, on the right path.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Nacho

Weeeeh! Everybody agrees! :D Everybody is happy! :D

Flop

Well, I think it's a good first effort. I've already expressed my views to you Sameera, but I do agree that it would be nice with some better walk cycles. I can't really tell you how to make them better, though, since I know absolutely nothing about that.

However, I'm sure that your next one will improve on a lot of the things people have pointed out. I don't really have any experience with game making myself, but it does seem that there are a lot of great tutorials on this site (not to mention a lot of people willing to give advice).

Anyway, I for one will be trying out your next game, and will be ready with a bit of constructive criticism it you want it. :)

Nacho

Quote from: Flop on Wed 22/06/2005 18:59:15
Well, I think it's a good first effort. I've already expressed my views to you Sameera, but I do agree that it would be nice with some better walk cycles. I can't really tell you how to make them better, though, since I know absolutely nothing about that.

However, I'm sure that your next one will improve on a lot of the things people have pointed out. I don't really have any experience with game making myself, but it does seem that there are a lot of great tutorials on this site (not to mention a lot of people willing to give advice).

Anyway, I for one will be trying out your next game, and will be ready with a bit of constructive criticism it you want it. :)

Wohaaaa! that's a crit man! :D

Lionheart

time for me to jump in!

Farlander - i was just doing backgrounds to get better and learn perspective and all that, but i didn't submit them in a game - he did. (My backgrounds have nothing to do with a review) if i did use those backgrounds for a game, then you would have every right to tell your opinion about it, but i didn't :).. Not to mention i know my backgrounds are horrible, i can differentiate between a good background and a bad background.

Even if i am a few days older then sameeralord, i still understand what is a is quality game, or something that lacked quality.

I was even looking forward to his game, but when i started playing i was extremly let down, its just something that was painful for me  to play.

Know this, i have reviewed several games, and i do so honestly with what i have seen in game..

and i'm sorry if you cannot take harsh criticism, but it is from mistakes that we learn and get better.

If sameeralord were to create a new game fixing a few things, i would review it again and perhaps i would give it a higher score, but the walk cycles and the lack of interaction for the actual player is what i felt negatively towards.

Like Michael Caine said in Batman Begins, "What happens when we fall bruce?"

Potch

I'm going to jump in and give my two cents of this debate.  In my opinion, there is a difference between constructive criticism and being just outright mean.  AGS is an engine for amateurs.  It's there for fun.  If the game author had fun making the game, so be it.  Does it need work?  Probably.  Does he have a lot to learn? Sure, but it's his first game!  Give him a break.  We can't all be the Picasso of the gaming world.  I give him kudos for jumping in and making a game.  That's something I haven't had the guts or the imagination to do!
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

Nacho

I agree in every world of your post, Lion, except in the *harsh* word. I've criticised a million paitings in CL in 2 years and I haven't been harsh. If one starts to be harsh, everybody will be allowed to be harsh, too... And you should be one of the firsts feeling dissapointeds, trust me.

Actually, I use to demmand crits via msn, and I demmand people to be honest. Honesty is good. Being harsh not.

Lionheart

Ok i am assuming me and you have different definitons of harsh Farlander.

Hmm let me change the word Harsh, to the word, Straight Forward.

meaning. .. i will just give it to you straight and won't say good job on your first try! or a good start! or something like that.

I will just say how it is in my opinion.

And i apoligize to the creator of the game if it came out negative, but i was just truly being honest and i wish you luck in the future of creating games.

Nacho

Remember that it's been you who used the word harsh... Must I assume that there's been a Freudian stuff in your mind who betrayed you, admitting subsconciently that you've been harsh?

Quoteand i'm sorry if you cannot take harsh criticism, but it is from mistakes that we learn and get better.

Anyway, the question is... Do you want me to use with you the same tone you used Sameeralord with with you? So... as a wise guy said some years ago "Don't do to the neighbour what you don't want to be made to you".

And now, I am going to stop this... I think that my opinion is perfectly clear.

Lionheart

I am going to stand by my opinion as well,  i didn't feel it was negative, i thought it was straight forward and explained what was wrong with his game, and hopefully the author will take it and use my opinion as well as others as a tool to creating future games with less flaws.

But anyways,

Walkcycles need a bit of a fix. It takes a while to get used to, you should go to search and type in walkcycles and you will probably find some examples of how they are done, and how to improve it.

People in the critics lounge are generally helpful, so i'm sure if you post your sprite in there and ask for help on it, they will do that.

Within your game i did like the concept of your storyline.. If you can work to tweak your graphics and walkcycles it probably would be a pretty cool game.

Heres an example of some graphics and walkcycles

http://www.juncmodule.com/downloads/juncSourceCollection.zip

Download that and you'll see a bunch from Lucas Arts Entertainment Games, hopefully they'll give you an idea..

sameeralord

I'll wait till you make your first game and then I'll show you how to write comments and suggestions for a first game. Don't worry I won't point out all the bad things of your game; I'm pretty sure every game has good things. By the way thanks for the link I'll have a check on that. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk