Spacewar episode 1 the crystal

Started by sameeralord, Mon 20/06/2005 09:21:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionheart

time for me to jump in!

Farlander - i was just doing backgrounds to get better and learn perspective and all that, but i didn't submit them in a game - he did. (My backgrounds have nothing to do with a review) if i did use those backgrounds for a game, then you would have every right to tell your opinion about it, but i didn't :).. Not to mention i know my backgrounds are horrible, i can differentiate between a good background and a bad background.

Even if i am a few days older then sameeralord, i still understand what is a is quality game, or something that lacked quality.

I was even looking forward to his game, but when i started playing i was extremly let down, its just something that was painful for me  to play.

Know this, i have reviewed several games, and i do so honestly with what i have seen in game..

and i'm sorry if you cannot take harsh criticism, but it is from mistakes that we learn and get better.

If sameeralord were to create a new game fixing a few things, i would review it again and perhaps i would give it a higher score, but the walk cycles and the lack of interaction for the actual player is what i felt negatively towards.

Like Michael Caine said in Batman Begins, "What happens when we fall bruce?"

Potch

I'm going to jump in and give my two cents of this debate.  In my opinion, there is a difference between constructive criticism and being just outright mean.  AGS is an engine for amateurs.  It's there for fun.  If the game author had fun making the game, so be it.  Does it need work?  Probably.  Does he have a lot to learn? Sure, but it's his first game!  Give him a break.  We can't all be the Picasso of the gaming world.  I give him kudos for jumping in and making a game.  That's something I haven't had the guts or the imagination to do!
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

Nacho

I agree in every world of your post, Lion, except in the *harsh* word. I've criticised a million paitings in CL in 2 years and I haven't been harsh. If one starts to be harsh, everybody will be allowed to be harsh, too... And you should be one of the firsts feeling dissapointeds, trust me.

Actually, I use to demmand crits via msn, and I demmand people to be honest. Honesty is good. Being harsh not.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Lionheart

Ok i am assuming me and you have different definitons of harsh Farlander.

Hmm let me change the word Harsh, to the word, Straight Forward.

meaning. .. i will just give it to you straight and won't say good job on your first try! or a good start! or something like that.

I will just say how it is in my opinion.

And i apoligize to the creator of the game if it came out negative, but i was just truly being honest and i wish you luck in the future of creating games.

Nacho

Remember that it's been you who used the word harsh... Must I assume that there's been a Freudian stuff in your mind who betrayed you, admitting subsconciently that you've been harsh?

Quoteand i'm sorry if you cannot take harsh criticism, but it is from mistakes that we learn and get better.

Anyway, the question is... Do you want me to use with you the same tone you used Sameeralord with with you? So... as a wise guy said some years ago "Don't do to the neighbour what you don't want to be made to you".

And now, I am going to stop this... I think that my opinion is perfectly clear.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Lionheart

I am going to stand by my opinion as well,  i didn't feel it was negative, i thought it was straight forward and explained what was wrong with his game, and hopefully the author will take it and use my opinion as well as others as a tool to creating future games with less flaws.

But anyways,

Walkcycles need a bit of a fix. It takes a while to get used to, you should go to search and type in walkcycles and you will probably find some examples of how they are done, and how to improve it.

People in the critics lounge are generally helpful, so i'm sure if you post your sprite in there and ask for help on it, they will do that.

Within your game i did like the concept of your storyline.. If you can work to tweak your graphics and walkcycles it probably would be a pretty cool game.

Heres an example of some graphics and walkcycles

http://www.juncmodule.com/downloads/juncSourceCollection.zip

Download that and you'll see a bunch from Lucas Arts Entertainment Games, hopefully they'll give you an idea..

sameeralord

I'll wait till you make your first game and then I'll show you how to write comments and suggestions for a first game. Don't worry I won't point out all the bad things of your game; I'm pretty sure every game has good things. By the way thanks for the link I'll have a check on that. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!!

Friend in need is a friend indeed!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk