Gladiator Quest

Started by Helm, Mon 08/08/2005 17:31:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Helm

Here's another orow game on an individual release.

Made Ghormak and Helm. I did the art and most of the design, Ghormak did the scripting and the awesome SID music. We liked making it almost as much everybody else liked not playing it. This release has more help for people who found it too difficult, as well as some SIKRETS.

blah blah orow game no point to post screenshots blah blah
WINTERKILL

Ghormak

For people who like to play fullscreen, but find their monitors unable to handle 320x200, choose 'Force alternate letterbox resolution' in the setup and it will probably help. Atleast it does on my monitor. Because of the AGI plugin, this game cannot be run in anything other than 320x200 or 320x240.
Achtung Franz! The comic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I enjoyed the game apart from the astronomically difficult final boss, but as that was part of the 'feel' of a true c-64 game all is forgiven.  I wish more people would take the author/authors' intentions into consideration when weighing the merits of a game, but that's like asking for chaos to be reasonable.  The only thing missing from this release was a REAL cracktro; Helm you lazy bum, get to it!

Great work, guys.

-ProgZ

Ubel

I didn't finish the game yet but it feels pretty good. Very impressive piece of coding. Good job!

Candle

Erenan

This was actually my favorite game of OROW2. In voting, it was one of two games to which I gave my highest score, the other being Anna.
The Bunker

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteI wish more people would take the author/authors' intentions into consideration when weighing the merits of a game

My curiosity's gonna be my undoing some day... ah well. What exactly are you referring to, Simmons?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Gilbert

* Gilbot V7000a asks again.

Is it the same hacked version posted in the orow thread, or an even newer version ?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

It's newer. Or at least bigger in filesize. Though I haven't found what's new in it. Mind you, though. I never did play it "seriously", seeing as I couldn't save and go away and come back, so I wouldn't really know anyway.

Kneel. Now.

What a loser.

I love what you accomplished with EGA,  ;)

Helm

it's not EGA, it's the (vastly superior) c64 palette, but thank you.

Progz means that people played this not keeping in mind what sort of atmosphere we were trying to emulate, and what demands that atmosphere makes on the player. This game was an experiement in oldschool 'so bad that it's good!' design. You can see this in the writing, and the antiquated modes of gameplay. It was intentfully made to be more difficult than most standard ags fare, and aspects of the game design were accented to add to the 'oldscool c64' feel. Most people here never have played a c64 game, or indeed any game that didn't require more than a passing interest in it to be enjoyed fully, so they wouldn't know.
WINTERKILL

Goldmund

I yearn to play it, yet it's no more.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Kneel. Now.

Goldmund

A joyous surprise and exhilaration!
My thirst is going to be quenched.

2ma2

Two words made into one..

Kickass

Helm

Is the reposted zip the repack version with the wuss mode in, or the original release that's almost impossible to beat?
WINTERKILL

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Wuss mode, I'm afraid. Unless - and this is possible - the original one had been posted before, in which case it should be around there.

Kneel. Now.

Helm

No no, it's good it's the wuss mode one. So hopefully people will get the chance to finish it even if they're not the obsessive compulsive type.

And Rui, thank you.
WINTERKILL

Ghormak

Yes, wuss mode version is fine, as long as it isn't the version with super hardcore cheats for extreme wusses! But I don't think I ever released that version anywhere...

... and I never will! Bwahaha!
Achtung Franz! The comic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk