Emily Enough: Imprisoned (Version 1.2 w/ Bug Fixes)

Started by Anarcho, Wed 17/08/2005 18:37:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Anarcho

UPDATE: 8.18.05 9:06 AM Version 1.1. is available for download below, and this time, the game starts at the beginning!  I also fixed certain bugs found by aussie.

UPDATE: 8.19.05 9:24 AM There is a slight bug at the beginning of the game after all of the cutscenes where the game will freeze on the wait icon.  Just hit ESC when this happens to end the cutscene.  But be sure this is the end of all cutscenes so you don't miss anything.  I would fix this right away but my computer apparently won't boot.

UPDATE: 8.31.05 Version 1.2 is now available.  This version has two of the big bugs fixed...the lag in the beginning and an incomplete walkable area near the water fountain.  More updates to come!  If you find additional bugs, let me know.

At long last, I am pleased to finally release:

EMILY ENOUGH: IMPRISONED
[/b]
By Logan Worsley
Betatesters: Steve McCrea, Petteri and Totoro

Emily Enough: Imprisoned is the touching story of a misguided but brilliant child heiress turned murderer, and her descent into the corporate underbelly of a New York State asylum.   The game features 640x400 hi color graphics and all original music.

Enjoy!

Download it at my new website here

Screenshots:

And special thanks to Scotch for hosting!!!

****Warning****
This game contains strong language, violence and even a little nudity.  It is not a game for the faint of heart.

aussie

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Anarcho

This is what happens when you live your life with spellcheck!  Damn.

aussie_unplugged

Yeah, I kinda noticed that the intro was a bit of an end scene, but the game's great. Weird but great.

Anarcho

I'm very sorry about that.  I went all the way home for lunch to run one last test and upload the game.  But I forgot to switch back to the starting room, so you uploaded a version that begins in the credits.  So sorry!  But I'm glad you like it...you should like it more when you see the actual intro (maybe it will make more sense).

aussie

Even without the intro, the player is not at a loss. The story flows along very well.

Sorry about playing this version, but anyway, take it as a further beta test. Now that you're at it...

Spoiler

- I've found a little bug. When you use the water on the exposed chord, you end up with a full and an empty cup.

- Also, if you try to speak to Peter after giving him the body, all dialog options have been turned off, so the game crashes.

- The game also crashed on me when I tried to load from the initial screen. I'm not sure if this also happens when you load within the game.

- The load GUI overall doesn't seem to work properly. It sdoesn't seem to record saved games, so I can't use it.
[close]

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

Anarcho

Dang, I thought the game was in good shape...I guess not.  All right, I'll get on this stuff when I get home.  Thanks aussie!

aussie

That's ok.

Spoiler

BTW I managed to complete the game, it's so unusual it really got me hooked and kept me wanting to play all the way til the end.

- The plot is quite interesting (if a bit gross at times - poor Lucinda and Coppernickel).
- The characters are great and suit the story to a tee (quite a few of them appear to be just fillers though)  ???.
- Animation looks professional and adds a lot of life to the game.
- The puzzles are just right, neither too easy nor too difficult. Still you do need to observe the screen very carefully at times (the damaged window, the magazine, the chord...)
- Ah, one more thing: it may be interesting to add an unhadled event function, so that not so many interactions are missing. But that's up to you.
- Your humor is not my cup of tea, I think it's a bit too dark (which doesn't mean I didn't find the game funny). But I suppose that's just a matter of taste.
- Overall, I'd give it 9 out of 10. Congrats.
[close]

Anarcho

Wow, thanks a bunch aussie.  I really appreciate the feedback and positive review.  I know my humor can be strange and dark...but that's just me.  :-\

Totoro

Yay, congratulations  ;D Love that black humor in there!

ildu

Hurrah! Waiting for the corrected version. Are you gonna correct the bugs that Aussie found before you upload the new version?

Anarcho

Yep, I believe I fixed the bugs aussie found (see above).  Sorry about the wait, when I got home I found that it was impossible to send large files on the internet---my service provider will be receiving an angry phone call today.  Anyway, thanks for being patient---give it a go and tell me what you think!

Scott C

Been looking forward to this one being released for a while so the least I could do is offer an alternative mirror :) Shame I'm at work and can't play it yet though!

I've uploaded it to my website and it can be found here

Thanks,

Scott

Anarcho

Secret Fawful

Hi, I'm playing your game and it is quite dark and good, though the beginning made my mouth drop and I just stood there for a few minutes with my mouth gaping. But anyway, I'm kinda stuck, I've found out about the lawsuit, but I have no idea where to go next, I can't seem to find anything or anyone who will tell me anything more.

ildu

Please use the spoiler tags if you're gonna talk about the plot or the story structure.

I'm gonna play this now. A long wait hopefully ends to sheer happiness.

Anarcho

That's quite a lot of pressure ildu!  I'd just be happy if you don't hate it.

ildu

I LOVE it! This is the best AGS game I've played to this date. I stress that this is only my opinion. I haven't played all AGS games ever made.

I love the setting, the characters, the dialog (oh the dialog) and the puzzles. What a great idea for the company working from within the asylum. I love the graphics as well. You have your own obscure style and I really respect the individuality of the visuals. The music is quite generic. Good stuff and relating well with the atmosphere, but not really contributing too much to the happenings in the game.

I think the greatest thing here is still the story. The dialog is very impressive even to me, being quite demanding in these matters. I have a feeling some characters will be a bit under-used, but I haven't finished the game yet, so I really don't know.

Great job. I really hope you get the recognition you deserve out of this. How long all in all did it take you to create this, and out of that time how long did it take to create the visuals?

Anarcho

Best AGS game you've played to date?  Dude, give 5 Days a Stranger a shot---it blows this out of the water.  I appreciate the sentiment though.  Thanks for all the kind words.  I really wanted to create a game that was heavy on dialogue.  I was afraid I had gone too far...a friend of mine played through an earlier version of the game and thought the dialogue was interminable.  Then again, he was expecting to shoot villains or mine tiberium.

But the music was generic!?   :-\

Ah, I actively started making an AGS game sometime in October of 2003, but I doubt I really got this game going until sometime in the winter of 2003-2004.  I'd say I spent a good year doing all the graphics.  But when I started out, I knew next to nothing about computer graphics/animation.  The early graphics for the game were remarkably different from what they are now.  Additionally, I had completed most of the background graphics with black outlines.  I'm not sure why I did that, but the end result consisted of very flat backgrounds.  So at some point, I basically redrew every background in the colors you see today.  The animations took a long time---especially Emily's walk animations. 

Word to the wise though, 640x400 is for suckers.  I'm not going to do that again.  As just one person, it's very difficult and time-consuming to animate even slightly detailed characters in that resolution.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk