Emily Enough: Imprisoned (Version 1.2 w/ Bug Fixes)

Started by Anarcho, Wed 17/08/2005 18:37:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Anarcho

UPDATE: 8.18.05 9:06 AM Version 1.1. is available for download below, and this time, the game starts at the beginning!  I also fixed certain bugs found by aussie.

UPDATE: 8.19.05 9:24 AM There is a slight bug at the beginning of the game after all of the cutscenes where the game will freeze on the wait icon.  Just hit ESC when this happens to end the cutscene.  But be sure this is the end of all cutscenes so you don't miss anything.  I would fix this right away but my computer apparently won't boot.

UPDATE: 8.31.05 Version 1.2 is now available.  This version has two of the big bugs fixed...the lag in the beginning and an incomplete walkable area near the water fountain.  More updates to come!  If you find additional bugs, let me know.

At long last, I am pleased to finally release:

EMILY ENOUGH: IMPRISONED
[/b]
By Logan Worsley
Betatesters: Steve McCrea, Petteri and Totoro

Emily Enough: Imprisoned is the touching story of a misguided but brilliant child heiress turned murderer, and her descent into the corporate underbelly of a New York State asylum.   The game features 640x400 hi color graphics and all original music.

Enjoy!

Download it at my new website here

Screenshots:

And special thanks to Scotch for hosting!!!

****Warning****
This game contains strong language, violence and even a little nudity.  It is not a game for the faint of heart.

aussie

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Anarcho

This is what happens when you live your life with spellcheck!  Damn.

aussie_unplugged

Yeah, I kinda noticed that the intro was a bit of an end scene, but the game's great. Weird but great.

Anarcho

I'm very sorry about that.  I went all the way home for lunch to run one last test and upload the game.  But I forgot to switch back to the starting room, so you uploaded a version that begins in the credits.  So sorry!  But I'm glad you like it...you should like it more when you see the actual intro (maybe it will make more sense).

aussie

Even without the intro, the player is not at a loss. The story flows along very well.

Sorry about playing this version, but anyway, take it as a further beta test. Now that you're at it...

Spoiler

- I've found a little bug. When you use the water on the exposed chord, you end up with a full and an empty cup.

- Also, if you try to speak to Peter after giving him the body, all dialog options have been turned off, so the game crashes.

- The game also crashed on me when I tried to load from the initial screen. I'm not sure if this also happens when you load within the game.

- The load GUI overall doesn't seem to work properly. It sdoesn't seem to record saved games, so I can't use it.
[close]

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

Anarcho

Dang, I thought the game was in good shape...I guess not.  All right, I'll get on this stuff when I get home.  Thanks aussie!

aussie

That's ok.

Spoiler

BTW I managed to complete the game, it's so unusual it really got me hooked and kept me wanting to play all the way til the end.

- The plot is quite interesting (if a bit gross at times - poor Lucinda and Coppernickel).
- The characters are great and suit the story to a tee (quite a few of them appear to be just fillers though)  ???.
- Animation looks professional and adds a lot of life to the game.
- The puzzles are just right, neither too easy nor too difficult. Still you do need to observe the screen very carefully at times (the damaged window, the magazine, the chord...)
- Ah, one more thing: it may be interesting to add an unhadled event function, so that not so many interactions are missing. But that's up to you.
- Your humor is not my cup of tea, I think it's a bit too dark (which doesn't mean I didn't find the game funny). But I suppose that's just a matter of taste.
- Overall, I'd give it 9 out of 10. Congrats.
[close]

Anarcho

Wow, thanks a bunch aussie.  I really appreciate the feedback and positive review.  I know my humor can be strange and dark...but that's just me.  :-\

Totoro

Yay, congratulations  ;D Love that black humor in there!

ildu

Hurrah! Waiting for the corrected version. Are you gonna correct the bugs that Aussie found before you upload the new version?

Anarcho

Yep, I believe I fixed the bugs aussie found (see above).  Sorry about the wait, when I got home I found that it was impossible to send large files on the internet---my service provider will be receiving an angry phone call today.  Anyway, thanks for being patient---give it a go and tell me what you think!

Scott C

Been looking forward to this one being released for a while so the least I could do is offer an alternative mirror :) Shame I'm at work and can't play it yet though!

I've uploaded it to my website and it can be found here

Thanks,

Scott

Anarcho

Secret Fawful

Hi, I'm playing your game and it is quite dark and good, though the beginning made my mouth drop and I just stood there for a few minutes with my mouth gaping. But anyway, I'm kinda stuck, I've found out about the lawsuit, but I have no idea where to go next, I can't seem to find anything or anyone who will tell me anything more.

ildu

Please use the spoiler tags if you're gonna talk about the plot or the story structure.

I'm gonna play this now. A long wait hopefully ends to sheer happiness.

Anarcho

That's quite a lot of pressure ildu!  I'd just be happy if you don't hate it.

ildu

I LOVE it! This is the best AGS game I've played to this date. I stress that this is only my opinion. I haven't played all AGS games ever made.

I love the setting, the characters, the dialog (oh the dialog) and the puzzles. What a great idea for the company working from within the asylum. I love the graphics as well. You have your own obscure style and I really respect the individuality of the visuals. The music is quite generic. Good stuff and relating well with the atmosphere, but not really contributing too much to the happenings in the game.

I think the greatest thing here is still the story. The dialog is very impressive even to me, being quite demanding in these matters. I have a feeling some characters will be a bit under-used, but I haven't finished the game yet, so I really don't know.

Great job. I really hope you get the recognition you deserve out of this. How long all in all did it take you to create this, and out of that time how long did it take to create the visuals?

Anarcho

Best AGS game you've played to date?  Dude, give 5 Days a Stranger a shot---it blows this out of the water.  I appreciate the sentiment though.  Thanks for all the kind words.  I really wanted to create a game that was heavy on dialogue.  I was afraid I had gone too far...a friend of mine played through an earlier version of the game and thought the dialogue was interminable.  Then again, he was expecting to shoot villains or mine tiberium.

But the music was generic!?   :-\

Ah, I actively started making an AGS game sometime in October of 2003, but I doubt I really got this game going until sometime in the winter of 2003-2004.  I'd say I spent a good year doing all the graphics.  But when I started out, I knew next to nothing about computer graphics/animation.  The early graphics for the game were remarkably different from what they are now.  Additionally, I had completed most of the background graphics with black outlines.  I'm not sure why I did that, but the end result consisted of very flat backgrounds.  So at some point, I basically redrew every background in the colors you see today.  The animations took a long time---especially Emily's walk animations. 

Word to the wise though, 640x400 is for suckers.  I'm not going to do that again.  As just one person, it's very difficult and time-consuming to animate even slightly detailed characters in that resolution.

ildu

Ok, so I finished it. I still think it was great. The ending was just a tad abrupt and maybe a little predictable. I don't know why but this game made me reminisce about Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity (I loved that game). I would've put some more time into the main menu background, myself. Also, the story screens looked a bit dodgy. Dark green with a pretty basic font on a black background didn't do it for me. I'm just imagining how cool it would've looked if the beginning story screens were replaced with appearing newspaper clippings of headlines about Emily's murders.

I have started playing 5 days and 7 days, but at the time I was very pressed for time and I didn't continue them further. I really couldn't get sucked into them. They just didn't seem like the type that would do it for me.

I didn't mean generic literally. I wanted to give some negative remark so that I wouldn't be perceived as a fanboi. In search for a better word, I thought the music was well-made in all aspects, but didn't change with the flow of the events in the story. This hardly takes away any points in my book. If you were to ask me, I wouldn't have a clue how to make it any better.

What I think really struck me in this game, apart from the visuals and story, was that Emily is a really good trademark. The name Emily Enough sounds great, she looks great and she's got a distinct personality (just like some 20+ year old guy with a cynical twisted mind was controlling everything she says and does). What I'm trying to say is, I really got sucked into the world of Emily. I want more. I want games, wallpapers, backpacks and a movie all bearing the name Emily Enough. Sorry if I'm being overbearing, but it's the truth.

Gregjazz

Spoiler
Where do I get a pen?

I have many different ideas on how to sign the papers that logically could work, but none of them do.
[close]

Anarcho

Spoiler
Who would have recently used a pen to make something? Just look around. 

And BTW, try and use the spoiler tags when asking for hints.
[close]

ildu---the title screen is pretty sparse.  And the story screens are basic.  I really just wanted to finish.  Maybe I'll improve it for a later version.

Gregjazz

Ah, I figured it out instantly. How very clever of you! :)

ildu

Quote from: Anarcho on Thu 18/08/2005 23:33:28ildu---the title screen is pretty sparse.Ã,  And the story screens are basic.Ã,  I really just wanted to finish.Ã,  Maybe I'll improve it for a later version.

Yes, you should add them into the talkie version that you are going to make . ;D

Anarcho

Riiiiiight.  Sorry, the Emily Enough series will have to wait.  I've got other games I'd rather work on.

Gregjazz

Okay, finished it! Great game!

RyRayer

Spoiler
What do I have to do next, if I drop water on the exposed wire?
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Rayer:

Spoiler
I don't know, but someone over at the Hints and Tips forum might. There is even already a thread for this game.
[close]
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Barbarian

Hey Anarcho, I've been looking forwards to playing your game, and have now had a chance to download it and play it for a while.

Let me congratulate you on a great job.Ã,  I can tell you put in a lot of time and effort on this. The overall graphics, character animations, music are nicely done and the story of the game is fairly unique as well for an adventure game. Ã, The characters Emily interacts with are really interesting, and overall it's fun to explore the surroundings, and I'm still trying to figure out what I should do next as I continue to play, but I'm sure with a bit more patience and exploring I'll continue to make progress through your adventure.

A couple of "constructive critisism" notes:
Spoiler
When I start a new game, after it goes through the scene of Emily talking with the Security Guard and the conversation ends, it seems the cursor get's stuck in 'wait mode' (with the icon represented as a clock). I tried clicking the mouse buttons to try and escape, and tried various key-presses to try and escape the 'wait mode' when it seemed to freeze-up like this. For me, the only way I was able to regain control again was to press the Escape key. I try restarting with a game a few times, and this same problem seems to occur for me each time. So, seems perhaps a bug of sorts.

Also, sometimes when I go to look at, interact with, etc.. certain hostpots or people, sometimes Emily will walk all the way over to that location I click on, but then she does nothing or says nothing, so perhaps it would be nice to have at least some kind of reaction if she bothers spends the time to walk all the way over to a hotspot or person. Ã, Also, sometimes it seems odd that I can indeed interact with some things perfectly fine, but not at all with other things (or at least no proper reaction I would have expected).. for example, I can attempt to use the stick (tree branch) on the teddy-bear, but she at least gives me a reaction of saying why she doesn't want to do that at the time. But, using the same idea, for example, to try and use the stick on the lady on Emily's bed, there's no reaction at all, when I would have at least expected something, such as "Naahhh, I'd rather stab her with something sharper, the stick would probably just break." or whatever... Well, you get the idea.
[close]

Anyways, they are little things I've noticed that perhaps could be improved upon, but really, overall, I think you've done a fantastic job, and I'll continue to play through this adventure. Ã,  I look forwards to seeing more completed projects from you in the future.

Best wishes.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Anarcho

Barbarian & Geoffkhan, thanks for all the kind words.  I did put a lot of time into this game.  You're right about that bug though, I changed a couple music commands before zipping it  and apparently something went wrong.  No bother, when the computer lags, ESC will immediately resolve the issue.  I'll fix this when I can, but I just switched motherboards and my computer won't boot (I was holding off on doing that until the game was released, see how smart that was...).  Next version will also involve some more unhandled functions...but I really want to work on something new.  I've had so many ideas on the backburner because of this silly game.

RyRayer

Heh.. I found another bug I think. I'm stucked....literally.If you know how to use it, then here's my savegame. LINK

skullkid22

I have to say that this is one of the best games I've played. The graphics are really nice and the music is great too. I bet this game will win quite a few AGS awards.

Anarcho

Snarky

Hey Anarcho,

I liked your game. Definitely well above average. The dark humor in it is quite funny, and makes EE in some ways the glum younger sister of "Grrrr! Bearly Sane" (which is a very good thing). I like that Emily has a very distinct (and funny!) voice, it always made me want to try different things to hear what her comments would be. That's the kind of thing that makes the gameplay enjoyable.

As for constructive criticism, all the actions that receive no response can be frustrating, especially if they're reasonable solutions to a puzzle (why can't I use the phone in Juarez's "office" to order the sandwiches?). The puzzles tend to involve more pixel hunting than I'm really fond of, especially when (unless I'm mistaken...) objects and hotspots appear and disappear spontaneously at various points in the game. All the red herrings are presumably a design decision. I didn't really mind apart from the feeling that some characters were under-used.

On a somewhat different note, I thought that basing Steve's backstory so closely on the life of Ed Gein was a bit too distasteful, especially considering what you have to do for him. I don't mind using a serial killer motif for entertainment, or even comedy, but considering that Ed Gein's crimes and his victims were very real, the joke fell flat for me.

In summary, I enjoyed your game. It was short but sweet!

Cluey fo' real!

Hmm, I take it you've been to a mental asylum.  As you've captured it pretty well.

The whole despair of the place.

AlbinoPanther

BEST OF THE BEST you did an excelent work on this game cause it is realy a gem of AGS and the animation rules ;D ;D ;D.We realy enjoy Emily  keep the sceen alive you said and we shell do that ;D : ;) ;D.

Only one thin why you did not make a slide room insted of three diferent rooms(the part where is sandwich guy and on the left and right is some kind of library) it should be much more practical, or not?

Once again enjoy in your fame you deserve it

Anarcho

Thanks a lot LJUBI.  I'm glad you like it.  I actually never thought about doing the library/center hallway area as one scrolling room.  It probably would have been more practical, but those were some of the first rooms I made and there wasn't much planning involved.

Snary, thanks for the constructive criticism.  It's helpful when thinking about my next game design.  I think I'll add some unhandled events and release a new version, hopefully tomorrow (and I'll fix some remaining issues).  It's hard thinking about all of the possible interactions, but of course, the green phone is a no-brainer.  As for pixel-hunting...I hate it too, but I had hoped that the status line would make things easier.

Cluey, I've never been an asylum.  But I did do a bit of research and worked from some photographics of an abandoned asylum in New England.

ida

Excellent game! Worth the wait as well, as I was reading up on its progress in the Progress forum.

Love the black comedy. Obviously well thought out.

Thank you!

Lordhoban

I don't know if it is a continuous bug or a one off thing, but I walked by the watercooler and the game froze. I have the savegame file if it helps...

Ishmael

I've only got the opportunity to play a little of the beginning of this, but I love it already. Your humour is great, IMO :) I really have nothing to complain about right now... Make more games! ._.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

aussie_unplugged

I don't know if it is a continuous bug or a one off thing, but I walked by the watercooler and the game froze. I have the savegame file if it helps...

It's ok, that happened to me a couple of times too. Emily gets stuck because I think there's a walkable area that is not working properly.
All you have to do is click to open one of the doors, and Emily will open it from there and get into whatever room, thus unblocking the game.

calacver

Man, from the moment I started playing this it reeked of professionalism!!

Excellent game. I can see why you worked over a year period. Tremendous amount of work has been put in this game. Really very good. I like you plot, the characters are creative and original. You really pulled of those backgrounds with the plain colour-thing. You really feel as though you're in some old asylym (spelling grrr).

Congrats on excellent game. I want to second that other dude (don't know his name, too lazy too search previous pages) But this is possibly one of the best AGS games ever. Really good.

Gregjazz

It's also great to see a long-awaited adventure game from "Games In Production" be released!!

Anarcho

That Guy

Anarcho,

I'm in the middle of playing Emily Enough and I think it's great.  ;D Some of her quips are just priceless  - like "what, do you think I pick up everything in the vain hope of using it later?"... sums up the entire adventure genre in one snarky aside.

Quick question... how'd you do the multiple lines of text fading in and out during the intro?  Looks great...

Anarcho

I just made about ten frames of each line of text, then manually saved each at difference transparencies against a black background.  Then I loaded the frames into the sprite manager and set views for each one.  Then made rooms for each screen, and set the text lines as objects.  Sort of a paint---I wish there was a fade-out option for objects, but I'm pretty sure there isn't (but now that i think of it, I've never checked).

I'm glad you like it  :=

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

There is. :) Well, sorta. "object[whatever].Transparency" will allow you to make quite nifty fade-in and fade-out effects. Just, you know, fyi.

Kneel. Now.

Ishmael

Or import the font into AGS, use overlays to display the text and a 320x240 black GUI that transparencies in and out ;)
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Anarcho

It was one of those many instances when I thought to do the most complicated thing rather than just take the simple route and look in the manual.  ::)

ovid

absolutely brilliant game!  i was looking forward to this one and i was not disappointed.

great graphics.  simple and perfectly stylized.
hilarious black humor.  there's something to be said for calm, murderous children with extensive vocabularies, and i am a big sucker for a good macabre joke.
the story played out very fluidly too, there was no point where i thought to myself "what am i trying to do again?"

i see this game earning awards and landing in the ags history books.

awesome.

---

tea.

Anarcho

Can you tell I was watching a lot of Family Guy when I wrote the dialogue?

Martina

Hello,

it's such a great game so far, and I really like it, but each time I want to give the money bag or the drugs to the nude man, the game crashes:-(((

Does this happen to anyone else?

Anarcho

You're talking about Erwin, the lawyer?  That's strange.  I've checked that code several times, and it always seemed to be working fine.

If anyone else has experienced this, PM me.

Martina

Quote from: Anarcho on Mon 22/08/2005 18:19:25
You're talking about Erwin, the lawyer?Ã,  That's strange.Ã,  I've checked that code several times, and it always seemed to be working fine.

If anyone else has experienced this, PM me.

Yes, it's Erwin,

I cannot forward any more, because each time I want to give him either the money bag or the drugs the game
crashes.
Perhaps I have not downloaded the latest version of this game?

I will keep on trying because I really love it!!!!!!!!

mätzyboy

The game crashed for me once at that spot. From the error message i reconed it was because him telling me to get out of the way of the TV's view, and the other speech coincided. By walking there, have hi say his move stuff, and then talk to him I could do it.

Also I one got stuck by the water dispenser, just by walking to a spot close by it. I got free by interacting with the door to the ladies room, which transfered me in there, and then everything was fine.

Should have reported this earlier, but I forgot.

Lovely game! Nothing much to crit. I just enjoyed it! Some annoying, can't do one thing before the other puzzles, like the window, but apart from that. Excellent!

Martina

Thanks for the hint, but that's not the reason for me.
It happens even if I am standing next to the couch and I am not in the TV sight..and Erwin does not talk to me.

I will try to download the game again and play from the beginning.

I really would like to finish it, it's GREAT!

Anarcho

I haven' released a different version since the first mishap, but I didn't change anything with Erwin.

Martina:

Spoiler
Where exactly are you in the game?  Have you already gotten the lawsuit "quest"...i.e. do you have reason to give Erwin those items?  It will make it easier to fix it if you can provide me with more information.  You can answer using the spoiler tags: [*hide*][*/hide]...minus the *.
[close]

Martina

Quote from: Anarcho on Mon 22/08/2005 19:47:20
I haven' released a different version since the first mishap, but I didn't change anything with Erwin.

Martina:

Spoiler
Where exactly are you in the game?Ã,  Have you already gotten the lawsuit "quest"...i.e. do you have reason to give Erwin those items?Ã,  It will make it easier to fix it if you can provide me with more information.Ã,  You can answer using the spoiler tags: [*hide*][*/hide]...minus the *.
[close]

Yes, I have made it without any help (being very proud :-)) have talked to Erwin and all the others and I had a "very good reason" to provide him with these items. Wanted to give him the items he asked for.
but as I already said, it doesn't work for me.

Have just replaced the Download file with a new one, perhaps the download didn't work properly, I will try from the very start.

Martina

Anyway, thanks for your help!

And just to point it out once more;

Great game and I really enjoyed it so far.

AGS AWARDS TO BE YOURS!!!

All the other people here do not seem to have this small problem that I have but I trust I will succeed:-))

KEEP ON DOING THE GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!

ors

Cool graphics style and great game.  In enjoyed the humor.
I appreciate the work you put into it.

Thanks

esper

Hey, I so appreciated this game... I love Emily's view of "I hate people... I hope I never become one..." My favorite line had to be when you try to touch her, and I love her abrupt conversation conclusions. This was a remarkable game, and you should totally sell it and get your year's worth of work out of it. I would buy it just to support your efforts.
   There was one error I percieved... I gave Erwin the drugs, then gave him the money. When I (FINALLY) found that damn crack in the window and got the sandwiches ordered, Erwin could care less... I had to go back to my save and do it in the order drugs>sandwiches>money to continue on with the game.
@ Snarky: Ed Gein's crimes were responsible for movies and books from Texas Chainsaw Massacre to Silence of the Lambs... I thought along the lines of SOTL long before I ever thought of Ed Gein, especially since he was wearing a Hannibal Lechter mask.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

Snarky

Quote from: esper on Sat 27/08/2005 13:54:46
@ Snarky: Ed Gein's crimes were responsible for movies and books from Texas Chainsaw Massacre to Silence of the Lambs... I thought along the lines of SOTL long before I ever thought of Ed Gein, especially since he was wearing a Hannibal Lechter mask.
Yes, I'm fully aware of that. However, in those stories, the crimes were heavily fictionalized. Really, only the odd picturesque detail was borrowed from the actual events. In this game, on the other hand, Steve's story appears to be an almost completely accurate summary of the crimes of Ed Gein. That, for whatever reason, made it more distasteful for me.

ildu

Are you sure it's the accuracy that's bothering you, or the fact that it's being turned into a comedic light?

InCreator

Holy--!

I kind of disliked what I saw on screenies and all these bits of game that have been around the boards during development... I mean, the style.
But having finally played through this (and finished the game), the heavily desaturated art and nightmarey atmosphere/characters really fit in there and add alot to the story, so my opinon totally changed. Plus, it's an awesome game, with some neat puzzles and about right amount of difficulty.

Weird and not-appealing-to-everyone humor is the thing I liked the most. AGS relations too (arcade machine, look at blue cup, hehe-).

Good job, Anarcho. Despite some nasty bugs and somewhat rushed ending, It's a great game and definetly worth to try.

MissyChelle

I really liked that game - eventhough it was a bit creepy and I kept the lights on in my house - I still liked it, lol.  :)
~*MissyChelle*~

PyroMonkey

I liked it a lot. It's excellent.

It's not as much "scary" as "dark" to me, but that's just my opinion.

Athirwen

Hello! Great game so far, very dark and creepy but I like it.

I'm a little stuck though (posted on the hints and tips forum, would be grateful if someone could help me!)

The humour appeals to me a lot!

Anarcho

I'm really happy to hear so many people like the game.  Keep the comments coming, I find them very helpful (both for future game designs and for self-esteem issues). 

InCreator: I'm glad you didn't let the first impressions get the best of you.  As for those nasty bugs and quick ending---I'm going to sit down tonight and fix the bugs and hopefully make some changes that will extend the end of the game.  I should have done this last week, but I needed a little time to detox after the mad rush to get it out there.

esper: My girlfriend actually told me that I should sell Emily Enough, but I didn't do it for two reasons: 1) As "professional"  as EE might seem to some, it's really lacking compared to most commercial products.  If I were to sell a game, I'd want to be damn sure that it didn't have bugs, and could rival some commercial adventure games.  I don't think EE can.  2) I don't want the responsibility that comes with a commercial game.  I just wanted to release the game and be done with it.  I don't want to have to make constant updates, pay for a server/website to host it, do all the formal things you need to do when owning a "business" etc. 

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the encouragement and I might release future games as "commercial" products, but right now I just want the most number of people to play this without worrying about money.

Snarky: I'm sorry about the whole Ed Gein thing, yes of course Pete is based off him.  Perhaps I should have altered his back story a bit, but it just didn't seem like a big deal at the time.  As for it being funny...well, who said it's supposed to be funny?  Only a sicko would find that all funny...you sicko.   ;)

Snarky

He he. It wasn't a big deal. I just thought I'd offer it as constructive criticism. Good luck with your next game! Already looking forward to it.

Mordalles

still playing, but enjoying. great game. i love the graphics a lot. especially the characters.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

sunshinegold

Completed the game.  Really enjoyed it.  Hope you have a sequel soon or another good game.

Anarcho

Sequel?  Naaaa.  I have thoughts for a prequel, staring Jorge and Brunhilda, the hired servants seen in the initial scene of the game (for whatever reason they live together as roomates, but neither speak the same language.)  But the chances are slim to nil that I'll ever make that. 

I do have a game design in the works for something entirely different...

That Guy

Quote from: Anarcho on Mon 29/08/2005 18:46:13esper: My girlfriend actually told me that I should sell Emily Enough, but I didn't do it for two reasons: 1) As "professional"Ã,  as EE might seem to some, it's really lacking compared to most commercial products.Ã, 

Don't sell yourself short, my friend.  About the only thing, in my opinion, that would keep Emily from being commercial quality is the length.  The entire game would probably have been the opening chapter of a much larger title.  Otherwise, it's right up there with Day of the Tentacle as far as fully-realized characters and unique art style goes.  Can't comment on the bugs, didn't find any other than a minor glitch with the save screen.

This is coming from a guy who developed an adventure game for the mobile market last year, btw.  ;)

Anarcho

Thanks for the support That Guy.

Hey everyone, I got my first review.  Check it out here: http://www.adventure-eu.com/index.php?option=com_contentask=view&id=100&Itemid=29

Thank you Adventure Europe!

Lordhoban

Quote from: Anarcho on Sat 03/09/2005 23:19:37
Thanks for the support That Guy.

Hey everyone, I got my first review.  Check it out here: http://www.adventure-eu.com/index.php?option=com_contentask=view&id=100&Itemid=29

Thank you Adventure Europe!
See, your game is all that and a bag of potato chips... right?  ;)

When will someone make a hint file and/or a walkthrough for it, maybe on that website, UHS? Or somewhere... I've kind of put the game down for the meantime until that, as I really don't like having to ask for help every time.

gummicommander

I really like Emily... I haven't gotten very far in the game (at all) but she has an unique personality, the graphics are nice, and you probably could sell it as a professional game if you wanted.

I only have one gripe-- why, oh why, would you pick a black background and near-black green text? It took me about a half hour to figure out how to start the game, and this was after giving up once already! As well, I am usually an extremely fast reader, but I ended up missing out on some of the intro text because it was so difficult to read.

compare:

to

Please take pity on those with bad eyesight :'(

Anarcho

Sorry about that, the only thing I can say is that on my monitor, the text is perfectly readable.  Perhaps a little dark, but not bad. 

Lordhoban

I don't remember having any trouble reading the text. Gummi, maybe your monitor is a little dark? Try brightening the settings?

Though I do agree the white stands out a lot better in those two pics.

gummicommander

Brightness-- 100%. Contrast-- 100%. Maybe my monitor just sucks, though.
I just finished the game... very good ^_^
Spoiler
Although I don't understand what the blanket, pillow, pamphlet and suicide note were for...
[close]

Lordhoban

Quote from: gummicommander on Mon 05/09/2005 01:46:43
Brightness-- 100%. Contrast-- 100%. Maybe my monitor just sucks, though.
I just finished the game... very good ^_^
Spoiler
Although I don't understand what the blanket, pillow, pamphlet and suicide note were for...
[close]
Yeah, it may just be that. Some monitors just aren't all that good.

sunshinegold

Finished the game and enjoyed it but now trying to help on the hints forum I realized that the SAVED GAMES mode is not working.  I cannot go back to them, the arrows on the right side do not work.

Martina

Hello, this is Martina again,

just wanted to give a short feedback, as with the first version of this game the game crashed when I  wanted to give the money bag or the drugs to Erwin.
Have replaced the file with the "bugs-fixed" version and everything worked fine:-)))
I have finished the game without problems and I really enjoyed it.
Great graphics, I liked the "special" humour and the puzzles.

Hoping for more games from you!

VERY GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miryoku_81

No one seems to have brought this up yet so I don't know if it is just me...

Everytime I save my game, the game uses a brand new save slot which eventually results in me not being able to save at all unless I manually enter the game folder and delete the older saves to make room for new saves.Ã,  I orginally thought this was due to me having version 1.1 but I've now downloaded 1.2 and have the exact same problem.

I can work around this problem by just not saving as frequently or just manually deleting files occasionally but it's an annoying little bug.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying this game so far.Ã,  Good work!Ã,  :)

Found another bug as I continues playing: sometimes the cursor bar at the top disappears which means that I can't access my inventory.  I usually have to exit and restore and the tool bar will reappear randomly.

Anarcho

There definitely seem to be some GUI issues that I need to fix.  I honestly just patched together some code while beta-testing without really knowing what I was doing.  I'm surprised it doesn't explode when you call up the save menu.  Sorry about the frustration, I'll be out of town for the next week but hopefully I can fix it when I get back.

Regarding the cursor issue...you're saying the icon bar doesn't turn on when you bring the mouse cursor to the top of the screen?  I haven't heard that one before...

miryoku_81

Quote from: Anarcho on Fri 09/09/2005 04:31:48
Regarding the cursor issue...you're saying the icon bar doesn't turn on when you bring the mouse cursor to the top of the screen?Ã,  I haven't heard that one before...

Yep, that's exactly what happens.  The last couple of times quitting and reloading the game didn't seem to help.  I eventually figured out that using "ctrl-I" would bring up the inventory so I was finally able to finish the game.

Other than the buggy issues it's a really great game.  And it shows how good your game really is if I wanted to continue playing it despite all the challenges.  :)

Crowley

I've noticed that here and there there are hotspots with no messages when you look or interact with them. For example looking at the men's room door and the phone in Juarez's office.

Rott

Such beautiful screens, and yet the download will not work for me. *sob*

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Kneel. Now.

Rott

lakerz

Just finished playing.  Hey, what's not to like about a game taking place in an insane asylum with a psycho little girl as the main character.  :=  I felt this game really flowed.  None of the puzzle except for one deterred me for too long.  Graphics and sound were ace, especially the main page song.  Overall a fabulous effort worth spending a year and a half on!  Great job!  Please tell me you're at least thinking about a sequel to continue the story?

Anarcho

No, I'm not considering a sequel.  Though if I did, it would probably consist of Emily showing up on her grandma's doorstep, being uncomfortably welcomed home under the subtle threat of murder.  But I'm working on another project that has nothing to do with Emily Enough, so a sequel is not in the works.

I'm glad you like it, and I always appreciate feedback!

Catslight

Quote from: Anarcho on Wed 19/10/2005 14:13:55
No, I'm not considering a sequel.Ã,  Though if I did, it would probably consist of Emily showing up on her grandma's doorstep, being uncomfortably welcomed home under the subtle threat of murder.Ã,  But I'm working on another project that has nothing to do with Emily Enough, so a sequel is not in the works.

I'm glad you like it, and I always appreciate feedback!

Hello, I'm an Italian girl and I'm a member of an italian site dedicated to old games and free games (http://www.oldgamesitalia.com/).
On our site there is also a group,Ã,  GTO,Ã,  linked to the IAGT (Italian AG Translators Group) dedicated to the games' translation. We already translated a lot of game (as you can see here

http://www.legacyofdewos.it/index.php?ind=reviews&op=section_view&idev=1

we would like to translate Emily enough in italian. What do you think about it?

Thanks!
cats

Janik

Quote from: Anarcho on Fri 09/09/2005 04:31:48Regarding the cursor issue...you're saying the icon bar doesn't turn on when you bring the mouse cursor to the top of the screen?  I haven't heard that one before...
It has happened to me - I think that to reproduce this, you need to open the Load Game dialog (I pressed F7) and then Cancel. Afterwards the icon bar no longer shows up (even after closing and re-loading the same game, if you save that game). I presume that you hide the icon bar when the load dialog shows up but do not un-hide it when cancel is pressed.
Play pen and paper D&D? Then try DM Genie - software for Dungeons and Dragons!

Anarcho

Catslight--I think it would be awesome (and kinda funny) if you and your translator group translated Emily Enough into italian.  I'm not sure how you go about doing that kind of thing.  I guess you would need the source files, or the uncompiled game?  PM me.

Janik--ok, thanks for the info.  I really don't feel like fixing this game any more, but maybe I'll scrape together enough enthusiasm for a version 1.3.

Also, the game is now permanently available at my new website: http://www.blendslowlyforarichthicksauce.com/EmilyEnoughImprisioned.rar

I'm developing the website right now, which will feature (among other things) a page on Emily Enough and a page on my next game, which also under development.

Catslight

Quote from: Anarcho on Mon 07/11/2005 23:32:59
Catslight--I think it would be awesome (and kinda funny) if you and your translator group translated Emily Enough into italian.Ã,  I'm not sure how you go about doing that kind of thing.Ã,  I guess you would need the source files, or the uncompiled game?Ã,  PM me.

Done! let me know about it.

ManicMatt

I love the humour it cracks me up!

Nice graphics, I wish it had occured to me to not use black for outlines.

So far the puzzles have been just right.

Threepwood

Hello, first off, this game is really excellent and I've been enjoying it for the past few hours!

I just wanted to post some bugs that I found, even though I just read on page 5 that there will probably not be a v1.3...

Bug #1: When I try to use the "hand cursor" on the plexiglass windows on the doors numbered 1-12, it gives me the [text] plexiglass description *plus* the contents [text] of the Brown Paper Bag Invite from the board above the coffee machine.

Bug #2: I can't seem to load for the life of me... I'm running the game right now ALT-TABBED hoping that it doesn't freeze up because for some reason I can't get the "load" function to work.

Bug #3: I was unable to reproduce this bug, but after I filled the cup with water at the water cooler Emily was unable to move, but I could still click on things. Unfortunately, I had to start over at this point. >_<

Anyway, I just wanted to pop on here and say how much I love this game and the AGS community as a whole. :) Thank you all for keeping Adventure Gaming alive!

celestialroad

celestialroad

I absolutely LOVED this game, it was so awesome, and it fits my tastes EXACTLY. Great job!

(And if anyone knows any other games with the "dark comedy" aspect, please tell me.  :))

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk