Mordy on Holiday

Started by Mordalles, Tue 20/09/2005 23:27:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Mordalles

I would like to annouce: Mordy on Holiday

It's about a guy who is not really liked where he is from, and so the king trick's him into leaving. the king sends him away on holiday, while actually sending him away to a far of planet where he will never bother them again.
you take control of mordy where he starts taking part in the local 'holiday events.'

you can die, but youll just reappear where you were just before you died, so dont worry about trying everything.
also, there is a hidden location where you get to meet one of my favourite characters from a certain book series.

title art:

screenshots:

download link: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=download&game=621

ps, i hope screenshots works, since im usually at imageshack, but suddenly it wont let log in? so i tried a different place, namely imagehosting.

enojoy, and comments and critique welcome!

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

m0ds

Downloaded! Initial impression: Wow! It seems really sweet - the animations are smooth and interesting, the dialogue is quite funny, (though there are some niggling spelling mistakes, like hadged instead of hatched). You say English isn't your first language but from what I've seen you've done a really, really good job. I don't think it'd harm to have it proof-read by someone, tho. I'm yet to start playing it properly as I've got bed but I'm really impressed so far.

You broke the fourth wall, though :(

Anyway, can't wait to play more tomorrow :) Thanks for the release! And the screenshots seem to work fine.

Martina

Hello,

I have just downloaded this game and started playing. Only wanted to take a short look at it....
And now? I'm playing for 3 hours now as I really enjoy this game!!! :)

Really impressive graphics and nice puzzles (although I'm stuck now)

THANKS FOR THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very good job!

Potch

I'm liking this game so far as well.  I love the music.  I don't mind that you broke the fourth wall.. I think it's kind of funny.  Fun characters, witty script... all in all a good game.

Now, some of us are stuck... any of you want to pop on over to the hints board and help us?  :)
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

Mordalles

Quote from: m0ds on Wed 21/09/2005 00:12:36
You broke the fourth wall, though :(

uh, I'm not exactly sure what this means? did i break a rule?

thanks for the great feedback, guys! it really means a lot!Ã,  ;D

ill fix that spelling mistake right away!

calacver

very nice. It's got some of the best humour, and animations.

WELL DONE!

Potch

One thing you might want to do something about in future games... this is just a pet peeve of mine, so ignore at will... when Mordy is standing in front of a hot spot, you have to move him in order to click on the hotspot, or else you just click on Morday.  It's just kind of annoying. But, I may be the only one who cares about this, so you can ignore me if you like. :)
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

Wretched

I think the fourth wall is when the player character talks directly to the player. Some people don't like this.

calacver

i like the fact that mordy speaks to himself, it's funny. But yeah, i can see sometimes its not so cool. But i think mordalles applied it excellently. Very nice humour.

@potch, yeah i had that problem once when...
Spoiler
infront of mailbox
[close]

:)

MillsJROSS

QuoteI think the fourth wall is when the player character talks directly to the player. Some people don't like this.

Close...but breaking the fourth wall implies that you the viewer have been reminded that you are in fact viewing something, and it's not really happening. In comedic games, though, the fourth wall is broken all the time, and it's nothing to worry over.

I hope to download and give this one a try during the weekend, when I have a little more time on my hands. Graphics look good, though.

-MillsJROSS

MissyChelle

I'm really enjoying your game! :) I was just wondering if there was a walkthrough or something? I'm stuck!
~*MissyChelle*~

bspeers

To add uneccesarily, in a play (theatrical production), there are sometimes 3 visible walls (backstage, and 2 sides).  The audience is watching the play through an imaginary 4th wall.  Same with television (especially obvious with sitcoms).  It is impossible to see the action through a wall, of course, and hear it as clear as we do.  Therefore, when a play calls attention to the fact that it is being perfomed (often by addressing the audience directly), you are "breaking" that imagined fourth wall.   

Incidentally, it isn't "opening a door through the 4th wall", but breaking it -- that wall is broken and is going to take some work if you want to repair it.  Breaking the 4th wall breaks immersion, but sometimes creates a new "4th" wall between the actors as they pretend the wall is broken, their imaginary audience and the actual audience.
I also really liked my old signature.

Wretched

Bug,
Spoiler
In the last chamber after you kill demon, you can re-enter the room by interacting with the door space and see/play ending again. It's good that the the player can come back to life , but the enemies too?
[close]

MissyChelle

Mordalles:
                 Can you please help us out at the hints & tips forum? Plllllease??
~*MissyChelle*~

Mordalles

sorry about the bug about the deomn appearing again. ill go check it out and fix it asap.

o, about the pet peeve, potch, I'm fixing that to. so that you dont have to move out of the way every time at the mailbox. sorry! ill definitely remember that in future games. everytime i tested the game there, i found it a bit irritating myself. i dont know why i didnt fix it.

thanks for the feedback guys!

Rosie

Very Well Done.....Thoroughly enjoyed playing this game...Good humor also....... Thank you so much.  We have all been waiting for new games and this one was worth the wait.  Going to be fun to play Part 2

Mordalles

thanks rosie!

I'm already busy with number 2, mostly in design stages, started with a few backgrounds, but since it is 3d, it will probably take quite a long time.
ill prob start a in production thread in a few weeks time, if i get enough done to show something.

oh yeah, the demon bug that reappears is fixed, and also the problem at the mailbox that potch mentioned.
o, and 'hadged' is now 'hatched'.  ;D i used the dictionary a lot, but got overconfident with some words, thougth i knew how to spell them. haha.

thanks again for the feedback guys.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I haven't had alot of time lately to play games, but I set aside the time for this one and I find it most amusing so far.  Nice work!

esper

Awesome graphics and animations... I like the idea to have tha character "talk with his hands..." I did get stuck in the bar, though. It took me forever to find out how to get back out once I got in.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

calacver

hey, i tried to steal the title and got a funny message :) And mordy sulks when you click on him repetitively. haha.

and i got to the secret area, very cool. I can't wait for Mordy 2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk