October MAGS

Started by Klaus, Fri 30/09/2005 23:28:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month with Wretched's new rules we refer to the famous board game of kings...

Topic: Inside Chess

All NPC's (non player characters) in the game must be or be derived from chess pieces, either by occupation, shape or characteristics.
Note: Just calling someone Mr Bishop, is not sufficient, unless he is a Bishop.

As in different languages the functions and names of the pieces are slightly different it is also possible to use horse instead of knight and runner instead of bishop.

The game should include some sort of chess puzzle, e.g. an actual chess problem or just something using the knight's move.

So don't go for a chess simulation or a game where characters play the board game! Think more of being "inside" the chess game - anyway the theme of your game is free except the already mentioned rules.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries need to be in by early October 27th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Henryhouse

Hey everybody. I have been unable to get to the forums for the past three weeks.Ã,  Everytime I tried from home the website was down.Ã,  I quit working on my game since I didn't know how I was going to post it for the September MAGS competition. I wasn't really sure if the site was going to come back up at all.Ã,  I thought maybe it was closed as I went a week without checking it before seeing that it was down.Ã,  I tried emailing Klaus using the address on the official MAGS competition site, but the email came back saying it couldn't be delivered.Ã, 

Now I am traveling and I thought I would just try it one more time at my in-laws house.Ã,  Hey, guess what, the forum hasn't been down at all.Ã,  It must be something with my location and my provider that I use at home.Ã,  I live in Texas.Ã,  Maybe it had something to do with the storms we've been having.Ã,  I guess I'll skip this months competition and finish my game afterall.

vict0r

Im definitly in! Maybe ill actually finish it ;D Starting now so wish me good luck :)

Erenan

This is a really good topic. If I can find any time to do it, I'll make a game. College, of course, takes a lot of my time. :-\
The Bunker

Minimi

I'll try to make a game too. Some short game... few rooms length. Like the topic! And yes, as always, I will win this MAGS, like I did with "Puddy Penguin" and "Ralph the Raven"... sorry, no animals in this time!  ;D

YicklePigeon

I'm in this one, I have some ideas and so I'm writing a script now :}

Regards,

Yickle.
Woof woof.

Klaus

So we reached October 27th - the deadline day... And it's early. And so far no entries. Okay it's very early...

So please submit your games within the next 24 hours (see timestamp of this posting) then the voting will begin.

rharpe

I won't be able to get my entry done in time... but expect to see a late entry anyway.  :'(
I'm animating characters right now. Backgrounds took forever and the story behind it is still not quite there. It will be a very dumb entry anyway.
"Hail to the king, baby!"

Wretched

Yeah, same problem here, I'm going to need another day to really get an entry in. Klaus ?

Klaus

Okay now. Let's do something crazy, something that has never been done before: Let's extend the deadline for 23 hours. Sounds like fiction but it's real ;)

Please submit your entries within the next 23 hours (see timestamp of this posting), so we have at least the weekend for the voting. Not a really long time but better than voting without a choice :)

Wretched

Ouch, my fingers hurt. So, here we go... Big thanks to Klaus for extending the deadline.

Zugzwang,
Ã,  Ã, Ever think learning how to play chess was a bit of an adventure? Well now it really is. Zugzwang gradually leads the player through the basic movements of all the pieces, how to setup the board, capturing, castling, Check, Checkmate and Stalemate, the wierd nature of pawns and even the obscure en passant rule. At the same time you get to help two little Pawns, one White and one Black, to reach their ultimate ambition. To play in a real Battle. Meet and talk to all the Pieces ,Black and White, and solve numerous chess puzzles, some serious and some just silly.

Screens

And here it is
Download (4Mb)

And yes there will be bugs, I'm fixing them now.

Sinitrena

Yeah, Zugzwang is a great game. I haven't finished it yet, I'm stuck.
Just wanted to say: Play this game (especially if you have never played chess before or haven't played it for a long time like me  ;D).

Klaus

Is it true? No more entries..? I remember lines like "Im definitly in!" and " I'm in this one"...  :-\

rharpe

Quote from: Klaus on Sat 29/10/2005 02:05:58
Is it true? No more entries..? I remember lines like "Im definitly in!" and " I'm in this one"...  :-\
I chose something way passed my capabilities... but even though the compo has ended, I want to get it done. *continues to work on it*
"Hail to the king, baby!"

Ubel

I was going to make another 2 hours entry yesterday, but then I had to go clean the kitchen, and I lost the inspiration.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Great game again, Wretched, but it seems I can do the first king test in a loop. I can keep doing it, and keep getting awarded 8 credits, and I keep having the option to do it again.

EDIT - Nevermind. Heh. You could give some sign that we were supposed to do the same one 5 times. :)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Wretched

Thanks Rui, I've had a good stare at the script and I can't see how you could play the King levels 5 times!, what did you do?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I just kept on choosing the dialog option, it was always there. Also, the "Black King" option went to the "rabbit" drill.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Klaus

rhape and Pablo: You know I didn't talk of you with my "I'm in" statement...

Anyway, we have a very surprising winner this time!
"Three times on top, please don't vote again..."
Okay this wouldn't be great but maybe we should think about something like this...
On the other hand: Next month we'll face more entries than ever. Right!? Well, probably not.

The winner is Wretched and his entry Zugzwang. Congratulations. I guess with your numerous submissions your chances are good to also earn the title of favourite MAGS game of the year...

Wretched: I guess you know what to do now, the same procedure as last ... month.

Wretched

Oh, well maybe people should wait til I post in Completed Games(hopefully tonight) for a more stable version, sounds like I forgot to rebuild all rooms.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk