Zugzwang

Started by Wretched, Sat 29/10/2005 19:39:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Wretched

Zugzwang is my October MAGS entry, no need to vote as it won by default.

Story:
Ever thought learning how to play chess was a bit of an adventure? Well now it really is. Zugzwang gradually leads the player through the basic movements of all the pieces, how to setup the board, capturing, castling, check, checkmate and stalemate, the weird nature of pawns and even the obscure en passant rule. At the same time you get to help two little Pawns, one White and one Black, to reach their ultimate ambitions. To play in a real Battle. Meet and talk to all the Pieces ,Black and White, and solve numerous chess puzzles, some serious and some just silly.

Screens:

Download:
Zugzwang (4 Mb)

All comments taken on board, and bugs gratefully received.

Enjoy.

Julie

Wow another game and am going to download, I totally love your games, magsic1 and 2 were superb, hoping for a 3. Slug princess was great too, although I didn't download Crave as my dial up is so terribly slow, and get cut off easily. Keep up the games and I do appreciate a 4 mb game for us people  living in the hills with slow service.

Julie

Wretched

Thanks Julie, Just to let you know I live up in the hills with a crappy dialup also so I know what it's like. Take's me 3hr to upload Crave. You should get a download manager like getright if you keep getting cut off. I've started on Magsic III but I really should start to do some more commercial games for a bit to get my funds back up.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Is this the same one on the MAGS page, or does it exclude, say, the possibility of doing the King's exercise many times over? ::)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Mordalles

downloaded about 55% and the link broke?

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Wretched

Modalles, that could have been me uploading version 1.01, and Rui that answers your question also.

Fisher

Once again, Wretched...GREAT JOB.Ã,  I'm lovin' this game already! Thanks, again.

I know, I know....I'm already askin' for hints in the hints thread....lol.....I'm hoping a few more players will be able to help me out.

You REALLY are talented.

Nikolas

One small bug I found.

As a black pawn if you enter the kings room again and again, he repeatedly gives you the string. You don't actually get it in your inventory but the dialogue is there...

GREAT GAME!

And I'm stuck. I have a question in the hints and tips forum...

i k a r i

I was starting to play chess once a week with a friend...I've always loved this sport, so this is great for me, perfect...
Thank you, I really like the game so far, is great..
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

There's something I still don't understand.

Spoiler
PAWN: There's a black king?
RED KING: Oh, yes, let me think... (or something of the sort)

JUMP to bunny puzzle.
[close]

Is it supposed to be like that? I did remark on it on the MAGS thread, though I guess I wasn't very explicit then...

Kneel. Now.

Wretched

Rui, I think that was a bug in the MAGS version. the Black King? shouldn't spawn any game. I only had time to play through the Game once before the deadline :(
Any Version 1.02 is now up so I suggest you play that one.

Fisher

Wait.....I 'think' I'm playing the 1.0 version......I haven't experienced anything odd or any bugs that I know of...

Oh....please tell me I'm safe......

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

K, I will. BTW, I was already on 1.01 when I posted the above.

Kneel. Now.

marlamoe

BugÃ, 
Spoiler
Ã,  on the 7th checkmate puzzle, my game crashed when I moved one of my pieces.Ã,  I am thinking it was my bishop or rook.Ã, 
---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An internal error has occured. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, contact Chris Jones.
(ACI version 2.70.861)

Error: run_text_script1: error -6 running function 'room_b':
Error: Script appears to be hung (150001 while loop iterations without an update)
in Room 7 script (line 2236)
from Room 7 script (line 2625)
from Room 7 script (line 4022)
from Room 7 script (line 4405)

OK   

[close]

Nikolas

marlamoe: Could you please check the hints page and help us a little bit. Not here in the hints page. Sorry for this...

BTW, Wretched somehow I managed to get two pieces of one yard string. Both of the pawns have now some. Is this a bug?

Wretched

Nikolas, Yes it is a bug, but not serious enough to stop you finishing game. It's already been fixed in 1.02

marlamoe, thanks, I'll look into that, the correct solution should still work though.

Wretched

marlamoe,
Blimey 2 hrs trying to find a non-existant bug, code was correct but AGS doesn't allow over 150000 loop iterations, and I was getting over 3 times that many!.

Version 1.03 is avaliable with this fix in.

Rosie

Wretched I love your games......... Playing this one now and I couldnt get the 3rd puzzle in the queens game, so I played the 4th one and finished that one.  The queen congratulated me and now I am finished in the queens room. She is not talking to me anymore and telling me to play another game.  Is this suppose to happen?  I then went to king and he gave me the badge.

Wretched

Rosie,
I had a look in the script and tried to recreate this but cannot see how this could happen? The only logical explanation is that some intelligent Alien being teleported into your house, on Halloween, and completed the 3rd game for you, whislt you weren't looking.

Elliott Hird

It's possible...
About the huge iterations, if it isn't a bug and you NEED to have that many, use the noloopcheck keyword.

Gilbert

Not if you're using the latest stable version of AGS, "noloopcheck" was introduced in V2.71 only, which has not been released yet.

Fisher

Wretched.....I finally finished the game!

As usual, another fine job!

Thank you........that was fun.

Nikolas

Wretched: Another smallkish bug. Like the last one. I've managed to get two fishes. I don't know how I keep doing that... :)

GREAT GAME!

mime

There is a problem playing Checkmate test puzzle 7.Ã, 
An internal error occured. Please note down the following information. If the problem persists, contact Chris Jones.
Error: run_text_script1:
error-6 running function 'room-6'
Error: script appears to be hung (150001 while loop iterations without an update) in room 7 script (line 2236)
from room 7 script (line 2236)
from room 7 script (line 4403)

Wretched

Thanks, mime that's already been fixed in latest version, see earlier posts, The correct move doesn't crash though ;)
Nikolas, Yeah, there were 4 ways to get dupicates. Too much copying and pasting.

marlamoe

Just finished the game.  It goes on my list of favorites.  Encore!!

Mordalles

hey, just downloaded the game finally, and gonna play it.

is a zugzwang when both players are in a good position, but the one who moves first will lose. am i right? cant remember, but i think it is.

anyway, gonna play the game now! thx.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

IM NOT TEH SPAM

It's when the only move a player can make is one that will hurt himself--Like if you're in check and the only possible move is moving you're queen in the way.
APPARENTLY IM ON A "TROLLING SPREE"

Wretched

The translation is 'compulsion to move', and describes positions where you don't want to make any of the avaliable move but are forced to. To say loosing is probably a bit harsh. At least at my level ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk