PLUGIN: Character3D v0.93 (08 May 2006)

Started by Besh, Sat 05/11/2005 18:13:10

Previous topic - Next topic

td

The plugin still not support  3D characters-shadow? I think this must be main feature...?

Ali

Quote from: td on Tue 09/01/2007 09:26:10
The plugin still not support 3D characters-shadow? I think this must be main feature...?

There's a possible workaround you could try. I was messing around with my graphics card trying to get anti-aliasing on Grim Fandango. It didn't work, but it revealed that the shadows in that game seemed to be duplicated versions of the mesh scaled 0 on the vertical axis and distorted to create the illusion of shadows. With a bit of experimentation you might achieve something similar.

Sadistyk

I have a question: this plugin uses a perspective projection or an orthographic projection?

Besh

The plugin uses perspective projection. The camera model is the pin-hole and the view-volume is an infinity pyramid.
"Spread our codes to the stars,
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

joelphilippage

Ive got a problem. whenever I try to add a 3d character to the game. it displays "Runtime error: unexpected eof"

I used this script:
Code: ags
Character3D *cBli3D;

C3DPlugin plugin;

at the begining

cBli3D = Character3D.Create(cBli.ID);
	cBli3D.LoadModel("data\\Blimp.ms3d:);

in game start and

export cBli3D;
export plugin;

at the end.

strazer

Quote from: joelphilippage on Sat 17/02/2007 20:28:49
	cBli3D.LoadModel("data\\Blimp.ms3d:);

Are the closing quoation marks missing?

joelphilippage

Oh, sorry. It was just a typo. I should look over my script more carefully. But Ive got another question. It usually takes about 10 seconds to load each character and this can really start to add up at the begging of the game. Is there a way to cut down on loading time?

monkey0506

Use a game engine that's optimized for 3D games? :P

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

And use a "Loading, please wait" screen. At least it masks some of the time, and people are used to them anyway. Plus, never fear going into WinSetup, Advanced and increasing the max amount of memory.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

joelphilippage

Sorry to bother again but Ive got another question. Ive been experimenting with the plugin and am trying to achive the character movement style from monkey island 4.
So far ive got this in the key press script that makes him turn and animate:
if (keycode == 377) { 
	cEgo3D.Animate (1);
cEgo3D.OrientationY -= 4.0;
	if (cEgo3D.OrientationY < -360.0)
	  cEgo3D.OrientationY += 360.0;
	}
	if (keycode == 375) {
	  cEgo3D.Animate (1);
	  cEgo3D.OrientationY += 4.0;
	if (cEgo3D.OrientationY > 360.0)
	  cEgo3D.OrientationY -= 360.0;
	  }

I still cant figure out how to make him walk forward by pressing the up key.
If you can help let me know

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Kneel. Now.

joelphilippage

The difference between these two is that a 3d character can face many more than 8 directions and a 2d character can not. I have tried using my old code that gets the different views and it does not work with the turning code that I am using, I think this is because the 3d character has to be facing exactly the right angle, I am not sure but it seems this way because when I walk using the mouse and then press the forward button it works but when I turn using the left and right mouse buttons then press forward he does not move. Is there a way to get the angle of the character and move it forward from that angle.

Also if it is not possible to do this perhaps you should make a get character orientation y function so it would work.

Electroshokker

It's been a while now since the last update by Besh, but is this plugin still being actively developed?

Just checking... ;)

Besh

YES, I'm working on a new Direct3D version.
It is going on very slow but the progress is continous.

... just wait ... and hope  ;D
"Spread our codes to the stars,
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

monkey0506

[off-topic-rule-breaking-and-what-not]
Now I'm not a mod or anything, but you're really not supposed to pose this type of question within the threads. Considering it has been over 3 months since the last post (prior to the "is this plugin still being actively developed" post), it's reasonable to suspect that there is no recent developments, at the very least, none that are ready for public release. For future reference perhaps you can use the forum's PM feature to message these users privately with such questions? Perhaps even dropping in a line that they may want to post an update if any new versions are expected soon due to the activity down-time...Again, I'm not anybody important. Just my take on the situation. Breaking all the rules and stuff as usual.
[/rule-breaking (most of it anyway :P)]

Glad to hear that this is still being developed. This plugin has seemed to me a big step in bringing 3D elements into AGS. In fact, IIRC, the only advantage Wintermute has over AGS (please forgive my blaspheme) is the ability to use 3D characters. So in essence, this plugin puts Wintermute out of our misery once and for all! ;D Together with Steve you have really shown what one can do with AGS if they're willing to put a little effort into it. These are also excellent examples (this plugin and Steve's) of the capabilities of the plugin interface. A little hard work, blood, sweat, time, and child labor, and voilà !

I expect great things from this plugin. Excellent work Besh.

Brad Newsom

I don't know if this has been said yet, but can we use this module to make the player character 3d and keep a 2d background, similiar to Syberia?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Well, that's pretty much the one and only main feature of the plugin. :P All the rest relates to how to display the character.

Kneel. Now.

Brad Newsom

Quote from: Rui "Trovatore" Pires on Wed 11/07/2007 23:56:02
Well, that's pretty much the one and only main feature of the plugin. :P All the rest relates to how to display the character.

Oh, from the screenshots, I thought it was just a module for creating the character and world in 3d.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Nope. You do have a 3d module that makes a 3d world, though - browse this board for Steve McRea's Module and Plugin (not Wretched's Easy3D).

Kneel. Now.

Afflict

I thought I'd be nice and give it to him since it was open and all :)

Get Steve McRea's 3D Module and Plugin Here

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk