The Winter Rose

Started by Baron, Sun 06/11/2005 22:34:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Greetings Gamers,
Ã,  Ã,  Effective 9:15pm EST on November 7 2005 I've posted an updated version of TWR on my webpage (same file name so the link from the forums will still work).Ã,  I'm pretty sure I've fixed all the little bugs identified so far (including that annoyingly elusive Vulture problem -turns out I had mixed up the Vulture's speech variable with the...other one). ::)Ã,  I've also tried to make some of the conversational advice a little more clear.
Ã,  Ã, Please continue to post bug reports as necessary.
Ã,  Ã, Now, to address a few comments:

Ã,  Ã, -The snow effect is Scorpiorus' from his Snow/Rain Pluggin.Ã,  Come to think of it, I think I might have forgotten that in my documentation -I'll have to fix that next time.

Ã,  Ã, -The coding for the footprints is based directly on that from the AGS Demo game in the desert text-parser room.

Ã,  Ã, -The main character doesn't have a face because I'm bad with faces, except for cartoony faces, but I didn't want a cartoony character.

Ã,  Ã, -The music is from Vivaldi's "Four Seasons".Ã,  It's funny since the tracks are from his "Summer", but I thought they suited a wintery mood better...

BaRoNÃ, 

Rosie

I am one of those people who after I finish a game, I go and post my votes for it............ Your game is not listed where we go to vote..................  I was going to give this game an excellent score.  Thank you for your good clean work.

Mr. Mozzarella

Quote from: BaRoN on Tue 08/11/2005 02:29:28
Ã,  Ã, -The music is from Vivaldi's "Four Seasons".Ã,  It's funny since the tracks are from his "Summer", but I thought they suited a wintery mood better...

Ah,  :D I was already wondering why it didn't sound like the Winter   ::)
Night of Fire - Thread

I control, I am in charge of
Everyones future, red button is mine

ManicMatt

Well, I've just finished playing the curse of monkey island (Oh I waited so long to play that!) so now is a good time to download your game!

Yeah know what you mean about drawing serious faces, I'm far better at cartoon ones too, but I tried serious anyway.. (Look at my icon)

..any good?

Khris

The download doesn't work for me, the server seems to be down :(
Any chance of somebody mirroring it? :=

Edit: nm, server's back up.

Baron

Many appologies to those of you who like to vote for games -I've now posted the game up there.Ã,  It's under Medium Length Games on the 9th page.

BaRoN

EDIT FOR MANICMATT: That's still kind of cartoony....Good, but still cartoony.Ã,  Even if I was really good at drawing 'realistic' faces I would have a hard time with the facial expression.Ã,  Should the main character be grave?Ã,  Bemused?Ã,  Intense?Ã,  Probably all of the above, at different times in the game...and that really complicates the animation process.Ã,  So why not empower the gamer to imagine their own facial expressions?Ã,  It's a fantasy, afterall....

Rosie

Great Game... BRAVO.....clap, clap, clap.

2ma2

Exactly what Rosie said..

Standing applauses!

Anarcho

Great game Baron!  I love the atmosphere...and I like that she doesn't have a face.  It makes the game a little more surreal, in a good way. 

ManicMatt

To BaRoN:

Thanks! I'm downloading your game as I write this! (It's at 59% download)

I see your point. Indeed, in my first game that got scrapped, my character was smiling permenantly!

Downloaded it!

I must play it before Simon the sorceror 2 comes through the post!

Will come back with feedback.

I haven't announced my own game in the making because I don't want any pressure!

When I do proper cartoony it's akin to Garfield or Ren and Stimpy.

Laters!

Mordalles

great game! great animation. especially where she takesthe arrow out of the stump.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

ManicMatt

I like the art style, quite cosy!

that stupid gnome with his annoying laughter!

I'll KILL HIM!!!

(I hope you can do that)

ness

great game. can't add much to other comments as it's all been said really, but i just wanted to let you know someone else had played it and enjoyed it.
Take the road less travelled.... you won't meet so many idiots on the way.

Dexter

AWESOME, I had a great time with this one.  Good job.

any chance of a sequel?

Baron

UPDATED VERSION -Tues Nov. 15 8pm EST

I've finally had a spare moment to look at the game again and I think I've solved that pesky no-flame game freeze bug that some people were getting.  Most people didn't notice it since it only occurred under special circumstances after you already died at least once and used the "Retry" function instead of restoring.  I've also altered the Hermit's dialogue so it cycles rather than being random, and I fixed a spelling error or two.  Thanks again to everyone who found these pesky little mistakes!  And thanks again (again!) for all the positive feedback from everybody!

DEXTER- Nope, I'm not currently considering a sequel.  I'm enjoying working on a short MAGS game at the moment, and then after November I'm interested in making a Sci-Fi type game.  I think my sense of humour would be well suited to a zany space adventure, and I'm looking forward to focussing more on silly and outrageous drawings rather than trying to render things "realistically".  But this is just whimsy speaking -nothing in the works at the moment. 

BaRoN

grandma

i loved the game and voted for it as a great one. i'm sorry you are not doing sequels.  anyway, thanks for the time you spent creating it.  btw - i had none of the troubles everyone seemed to have so it played very smooth for me.   good luck in all you future efforts.

froggler

Just wanted to let you know that I truly enjoyed this game. It was really nice to play as a girl, too. I love the extra details, like the footprints and the contect-specific death messages. I also found the difficulty level to be just about right for me.

Thanks!

calacver

This game deserves more attention. It has excellent animation and excellent feel to it!

Jhumjhum

Hi!

Just finished it. Very nice "wintry" atmosphere created. Especially liked the startup screen where you can see the entire prologue( how the dragon came and ruined the village) in a small animation.

Wish it was longer with some spells & stuff. :)
Waiting for a sequel.

Ali

I really enjoyed this game, it's atmosphere was absorbing and appealing. I normally hate sierra-like deaths, but the game was just short enough for the deaths to be amusing, and just long enough for the story to be enjoyable. There are a few small areas that I felt could be improved.

A brief epilogue, perhaps in the style of the intro, would really have made the narrative more satisfying.

The writing was usually enjoyable but occasionally awkward. I think there were a few malapropisms too, the word 'recede' may have been misused at some point.

Spoiler
I was also stumped by the beat-the-goblin-at-his-own-game puzzle. The main reason I didn't think to use anything with the catapult tree was that its look-at/interact response remained the same after it had been sprung. That suggested to me that I wasn't going to use it again, as is often the case in games when responses fail to keep up with the story.
[close]

I hope these observations are helpful, and I hope to see more games like this!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk