Prodigal INTERVIEW on reloaded.org! 3/13/06 update!

Started by Trisk, Wed 09/11/2005 17:11:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Trisk

Prodigal is finally out! Get your horror/thriller fix today! Turn down the lights, crank up the volume, and download from the AGS webpage in the "Full length games" section,Ã,  This link right here.

Filled with FMV, a sterio .mp3 soundtrack of spooky music and sound, character art by the soon-to-be-legendary Edgar Rocha, an epic story spanning centuries, and 3D rendered art by yours truly, Prodigal is a game like no other!

If you enjoy it, spread the word!

And let me know what you think!

real_trisk[at]yahoo[dot]com

Trisk

i k a r i

Downloading RIGHT NOW...thank you!...I'll post my comments later...And if I can't sleep tonight, you will have my comments in your e-mail ;D

This will be a good one...

EDIT: O_O..Great game!..I didn't like the GUI so much, but I can't say nothing else (bad)..the atmosphere is great, I can't wait to have more time to play it.. ;D
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

Barbarian

Okay, just downloaded and been playing through it for about half-an-hour...
First impressions: Wow! Amazing!Ã,  really, from what I've seen and played of it so far, you've done a fantastic job on making this game.

The intro movie is really interesting to watch, the graphics, sounds and story line from what I seen really set the mood well.Ã, 

Only a couple of minor things I seen so far that maybe could be improved on, example
Spoiler
Some objects in the Inventory are hard to see/notice, depending on the room background, such as the Knife and Bow, as for me those objects were almost "hidden" within the border art of the Inventory GUI.Ã,  Also, for when controlling the main character , he seems to be lacking facial details (such as a mouth), but for the movie scenes it's great detail. The walking speed of the main character is a little bit slow, but still bearable.
[close]
Ã,  but those are just really minor things... but really, overall I really think you've done a great job on this and I'm enjoying it so far.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

En garde!

Trisk

Barbarian. Read the manual! :b there is a way to make him walk faster, but you'll have to go read it to find out. ;b

As for his facial features, I designed the sprites to look as close as I possibly could get them to Sierra style sprites. All my warm fuzzies of adventure gaming come from the old Sierra games, not the Lucasarts games. That's why they look that way.

Specifically, I used the general character design style of "Quest for Glory 1: So You Want to be a Hero" and "Space Quest IV" as my inspiration for character design. The character details come from the frequent character closups, as was always the case with the old Sierra games.

Finally, as for the inventory...sigh, yes, I am aware of this problem. My GUI design had this one flaw. I tried about 1000 different designs for the inventory GUI graphics, and this one was the most visible, aside from black, which I didn't like because it wasn't thematically correct. I tried to make MOST of the inventory items visible on it...I think once you get used to it you won't have any problems. :-\ Least wise, my Beta testers seemed to be OK with it...

Iv4n

Aaargh! I don't understand why the game runs in 320x200 when I selected 640x480? My LCD doesn't support quite right 320x200 and I can't play games in this resolution... :(

Actually, when in the game, it displays me 640x350?!? Doesn't matter if I select 320x200 or 640x480... Any help?

Mordalles

personally ive been waiting for this one, but i will only get my hands on it on friday when my brother is going to download it at varsity, since my internet connection is a bit slow.  :'(

i can't wait!

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Trisk

Iv4n, the game is rendered in 320x240, only the character sprites and certain cutscenes will see a benefit from the higher resolution. I still consider it "the" way to play, however. Run the game in either 320x240, or 640x480, and it should work. I tested it on a friend's LCD and was fine in those resolutions...

Mordalles, I feel your pain, believe me. I'm still on a modem, too. :( I crunched the game as much as I possibly could...as you'll see, it is over 120MB when uncompressed.

My modem is actually the reason the game came out a day late.  ::)

Barbarian

Trisk: Ã, Your game is just about perfect the way it is, so don't worry about those little minor things I mentioned. Ã, I say just a few of my thoughts on those matters as some constructive critisism so you may take note for any future projects you work on.. but overall it's your project so you design it the way that makes you most happy Ã, :) Ã, 
As an amateur game-maker myself, I found one of the best ways to continue to improve my skills as a game-maker is to welcome comments and suggestions from the players. Ã, Overal, you've done excellent job! Thanks for sharing a great game with us. Ã, 

Iv4n: From the Winsetup, did you make sure the "Force Alternative letterbox resolution" is selected? If it was, did you try Un-checking it as well? Ã, If using LCD, you'd probably want to insure "Use 85 Hz display.." is Un-checked as well.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Trisk

Oh, no problem, Barbarian!  ;D I was just giving you my reasoning for doing what I did. If enough people complain, I will certainly make changes. Sorry if I sounded defensive, I wasn't trying to be...just putting down my 2 cents of the wheres and whys.  :)

Iv4n

Aah thank you Barbarian! Using the "Force Alternative letterbox resolution" option did fix my problem! The game seems great so far! Now onto the game... See you later :).

Stefano

Uh-uh. Found a little bug. It isn't a crucial one, though (i guess).
When interacting with the light in the stairs after the demon:
Code: ags
---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x0041E27B ; program pointer is +77, ACI version 2.70.864, gtags (0,0)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

in Room script (line 57)

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.
OK   

I'm loving the game, Trisk!
Cheers,
-Stefano
Trying to make my first AGS game.

Candle

For those on dialup I split the file and made five files .
Just download the five and unzip them all to one folder and run the bat file or the one exe to merge them and you have the main file .
http://www.mytempdir.com/253080
http://www.mytempdir.com/253104
http://www.mytempdir.com/253109
http://www.mytempdir.com/253149
http://www.mytempdir.com/253150
They run aboiut 11.4 MB each but the one file that would be 469 bytes.
Hope it was ok to do this .

Trisk

Wow, that's great Candle! Thanks! I'm on a modem too, so I know I'd certainly appreciate a split version! :)

Stefano- Eek! That is a bug, alright. A cute little typo. There is nothing you can do with the light though, so "using" on it wouldn't have done anything but give you a red X. Prolly why I didn't catch it.   :-X

Candle

Your welcome , btw nice game. playing it now when I should be working on my games. lol

Stefano

Another tiny bug:
Spoiler
everytime you leave the kitchen in the ruins, the guard keep asking about his Aegis...
[close]
Still loving it...  ;D
Trying to make my first AGS game.

Candle

I found a bad bug.
Spoiler
I got stuck to the rocks in the oilywater when I was clicking around it to find the key in the rocks
[close]
Link to image
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/760/oilywater0cc.png

Trisk

Candle, I can't reproduce this bug...could you PM me more details, or send me a save game file of it? Otherwise, I think it must just be an AGS bug. You shouldn't have been able to walk over there, the walkable area ends about an inch to the right of the rock sticking out of the water...a long way from the edge of the screen.

I clicked all around all over the place on the edge of the screen and couldn't get Jacob to go over there...

Candle

I think I may have not clicked down  enough maybe so he would move. I will try it again .but I think thats what I did.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk