Background Blitz 051110 - Winner Announced

Started by loominous, Thu 10/11/2005 18:27:59

Previous topic - Next topic

loominous

Sorry about the delay, I had some trouble finding a decent topic, and even greater finding some inspirational footage/paintings (which I still havn't been able to). Anyway:

Topic:

BED & BREAKFAST ON A ROAD  LESS TRAVELED[/size]

Guidelines:

If you're unfamiliar with the term 'Bed & Breakfast', it is a sort of simpler hotel, which originally consisted of a couple of rooms for rent in a private residence. We'll go with the original meaning.

The idea is to create a scarcely charted enviroment, the more original the better, with a B&B present. Since these weren't built as commercial structures, it's important that they blend in well with the setting.

No size or palette restrictions.

Dates:

We'll try slightly more than a week, and if less than three entries has entered by then, it will be extended another week.

Voting:

PLEASE OBSERVE: Considering the success of voting system I introduced last time, with a total of two or so valid votes, we'll try it once again before I scrap it.

So, in essence, instead of voting for a picture in general, you vote in these four categories:

* Best Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't neccesserily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

* Best Design - The style of the picture, architectural, landscape design, best mood, most evocative etc.

* Best Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, including appropriate walking distances, good angle for character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood exits etc.

* Best Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of rendering.

Good luck.

Edit: Fixed the dates

Edit II: Extended deadline

Edit III: Fixed deadline specification
Looking for a writer

InCreator

The theme is a bit... confusing. Are we supposed to draw a motel in some kind of deserted place? and - interior or extrerior?
Pity that you didn't offer any sample images.

ildu

I'm actually already drawing a B & B exterior in a kind of a mystic foresty small town. I understood that anything was possible, as far as it has a B & B in a secluded setting. I figured it was supposed to be exterior since the seclusiveness would be quite hard to show through a window.

EDIT: I'm almost done with my line drawing.

magintz

I actually really like this theme and think we should get some crazy ideas.. .I may enter, but then again my artistic skills are awful and I may be put off after maybe 20 minutes or so... damn you art!
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Krysis

OK, my entry:

And here is the original picture I used as a reference: http://www.claytoncountyiowa.com/images/lodging/Elkader%20Bed%20&%20Breakfast%202.jpg

Moneytalks

Thought i'd do an entry, as there didn't seem to be many. Not very good, but i tried. Hope i havn't broken any rules... :S
Spin around me like a dream...

He-Man

Hello
This one is actually going to be used in my next game. So it wasn't actually designed for this competition. But it fits quite well so I'll join in:

cheers

Edit by Andail: Resized image to fit board. Click for full version

Edit by He-man: Thanks, I didn't notice that it was oversized...

Andail

I'll contribute with this little brush-exercise I whipped up last night:

x2

It's heavily under-detailed, and the proportions and perspective are skewed and weird, but anyhow...

Redwall

He-Man, could you please resize your bg (and add a link to the full version)?

EDIT: Yay for Andail.
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Rel

Interesting topic. I would have enjoyed painting a treetop or woodside scene, but the idea of the following amused me:

large:

Hopefully it's not too subtle â€" adding bones seemed like overkill.

seaduck

Hi, when exactly is the deadline? I just found about this cometition today and I got an (IMO) interesting idea which I immediately started on. Unfortunately it's going to be probably very rough since it'd take me a week or two to paint properly.

So, I'd like to post it at the last moment, when is that, please?

Haddas

in 5 days I assume. On the 28th

Sektor 13

my god, incredible backgrounds... !!!!!

loominous

Quotewhen exactly is the deadline?

Voting will begin the 28th. I tend to specify the voting days to avoid confusion, but fell back on this system for some odd reason.

-

Glad to see the sudden entry boom; hope we'll have some additional fine entries by monday.

-

Edit: Btw, the enviroment doesn't have to be unnerving to be scarcely charted. Could be a hidden garden of Eden or lost Atlantis.
Looking for a writer

Renegade Implementor

Sorry for the late entry, had some issues with lighting to overcome.  Anyway, this is somewhere in the Great Underground Empire.

The view is first-person.

seaduck

Ok, here it is. My first background attempt.

2x

1x

Original size: 320x200
Colors: 71

loominous

Looking for a writer

ildu

Again I started my bg, but I can't seem to find time to finish it. Damn school things. They always pile up when something actually interesting is happening. So, if I were further in the making and didn't have a lot of school things this week, I would ask for an extension. So, alas, it seems I don't need one. Maybe I'll finish all these unfinished bgs and put them all in crits lounge. So that's a no for me.

Andail

Well, having a fair amount of contributions to choose from, I don't think postponements are necessary.
Of course, I'd like to see Ildu's background, but he can participate next time :)

loominous

Ok then, voting's open.

Please read the voting guidelines in the first post before submitting.

While the categories already provides comments on the pieces' strentghs, and indirectly weaknesses, additional comments are very welcomed. I'd personally rather see them touching on more objective qualities, such as strong composition etc, than being based on your personal preferences, but it's of course up to you.
Looking for a writer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk