Mind's Eye Big V 1.4 Valentine's Day Update!

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Tue 22/11/2005 23:05:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Venus

Husky:
Quote from: ProgZmax on Tue 22/11/2005 23:05:24
Again, please do not ask for hints in this thread

instead, go to Hints and Tips (there already is a thread for this game). That's what it is there for...

ProgZ:
Really great game. Very enjoyable and highly recommendable.

But I think I found bug:
Spoiler
In this canteen thingy, Noah/Mitchell can walk on the table where the woman and the Einstein guy play cards. Looks a little bit weird and irritating, but imo it's nothing that keeps you from enjoying the game.
[close]

Even though I already voted for it and gave it the highest possible votes, I have one tiny little crit: after dying several times in the corridor, I really cursed the cut-scene which I couldn't skip and therefore had to watch it over and over again.
Apart from that, one of the best games I've played in a long time.
I especially liked
Spoiler
the ending where Noah finds out that he in fact is Mitchell. Never would have thought about that and it totally caught me by surprise, but I loved it as it seemed so obvious afterwards.
[close]

BTW: I had some unusual crashes as well while playing the game. Everything went black and then my computer just rebooted. Never occured at the same spot twice and I wasn't able to recreate them. Don't have this problem with other games or programs, but it happened 4 times during Mind's Eye. Strange...

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Erenan- I appreciate and agree with your comments entirely.  I wanted to make the game much grander in scope but I'm only one guy.  It' s alot like Grundislav and the Ben Jordan games, he does almost all the work so the scope of each adventure is kept modest (but not unenjoyable).

ggp- I'm not fond of dropping hints for games.  I mean the whole idea of a graphic adventure game is to get in there and solve a few puzzles, and I 'hope' the ones I selected were fairly logical.  At any rate, I'm sure someone (possibly Erenan) can help you in the hints and tips area!

bury- you haven't EVEN played the game yet and you're accusing me of a lack of originality?  Go away.

indy100- thanks for the feedback, indy100!  If you'd duplicate that sentiment for the games page I'd be grateful.

Husky- please don't ask for hints here ;)

Venus- Thanks alot!  I appreciate all bug reports and I'll look into that one as well, though with all the walkable zones in there it'll probably take some doing :).  As for the crashes, I THINK this may be related to an RC 1 bug SSH brought to my attention.  I have since updated to RC 3 and it's up there waiting (hopefully this fixes cittymom's problem as well).  Glad you enjoyed the game!

I'd like to add that I uploaded a new release late last night with bugfixes for problems SergioCornaga and Erenan brought to my attention.  Thanks again!

wendy

Hi.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but
Spoiler
I have the lithium and I'm trying to give it to Burke and Hare, but the game won't let me.  Am I doing something wrong?  Also, am I supposed to be able to open the bathrooms?
[close]

Venus

Even though I'm not the creator of this brilliant game (unfortuantely   ;)), I'm pretty sure that these aren't bugs. You're simply stuck  ;D .
Spoiler
I also tried to give the lithium to Burke and Hare several times. Maybe a little message that this action doesn't work would have been nice...
[close]

Anyway, go to Hints and Tips, wendy, and I'm sure someone's gonna help you.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Venus & Wendy...

Well...

Spoiler
if you read what Burke and Hare say initially about their drug supply they talk very POORLY of Lithium, claiming it turns people into veggies.  That's definitely not something they want ;)
[close]

ManicMatt

I've given you comments on your game page!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Thanks ManicMatt, glad you enjoyed it!  I realize the font took a bit to get used to, but it was by far the NICEST looking font in lo res I've ever found.  In hi - res it's much easier to see (and you can actually play this in 640x480 if your cpu can handle the added drain).  As for the gui I realize it can be a pain at times, though I made the regions when the walkable area was the bottom of the screen quite large to try and compensate.  I definitely will go with something new in the future though, perhaps a small on screen button you can press to make the gui show up.

bury

Progz- geez, easy there pal. It was more of a joke- look at your description on the games page- now if you played Sanitarium you know what I mean. And if you never saw it or heard about it, well congrats for wondrous invention. Now that I've played the game I can easily say that it is a very intriguing and interesting game. The gui is very inventive and the whole game has an exlcusive feel to it. Really, the game is something I've been planning to do for a long time now. The grim, schizophremical atmosphere and the edge of sanity and madness really kept me playing on till the very end. The graphics,scripts and the whole technical side is a masterpiece by all means but it's not them that really caught my attention, it was the psychological theme and constant uncertainity. So two thumbs up but really it was VERY simillar to Sanitarium and if you didn't have the chance to play it, please do, it might actually inspire you to make another game and I really encourage you to do so.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteI'd like to add that I uploaded a new release late last night with bugfixes for problems SergioCornaga and Erenan brought to my attention.  Thanks again!

Heh. Maybe you should change the version number and the title's thread when you do, it can get really confusing. ;D
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

The changes were cosmetic and I didn't think warranted a version update.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Fair enough... and what about patching the cosmetic changes and releasing the patch until they accumulate enough to warrant a new version? 12mbs to download every time is a bit steep. :'( I'm getting close to my monthly download limit, too, after which I'll have to pay extra.

EDIT - Okay, now I'm actually playing it. :) First off, and I have to say this right away, the game seems to be much to dark - especially the first deliruim sequence (the only one I've encountered yet, I'm pretty much in the beggining), I could hardly make anything out.

But I'm loving it. It positively drips with atmosphere, and everything, from the little details of the backrgound to the characters themselves, is simply gripping.

EDIT 2 - And now ran into the "corridor issue" which Venus already mentioned (and to which you didn't reply)... not being able to skip that cutscene is a major turn-off for me as a player, honest - since I don't know how to solve the puzzle, I'll need to trial-and-error it a bit until I understand how it works, but if every false step's result is a lengthy cutscene I already know and can't skip... major turn off, in fact it also turned me away from other games ("remote robot" scene in Still Life, anyone?). Could you please look into that?

Kneel. Now.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Rui- While I emphathize with your dislike for viewing cutscenes over and over, that is the only event in the game where that situation occurs.  I am MORE than happy to fix any bugs in gameplay to improve it, but due to the way I created the cutscene function I just can't have it skip without a severe re-tooling of the code- and I hope you'll understand when I say I'm kind of sick of looking at the code for Mind's Eye after two months of constant effort ;)

Grin and bear it for the sake of the greater good- and my sanity!!

In other news, I'm hoping the most recent build has fixed all the gameplay important bugs so I can relax awhile :).  The new version ONLY fixes the issue Venus noticed with standing on tables in the rec room, so there's no need to redownload it unless you don't like tabledancing.  And thanks to Dave Gilbert for hosting the mirror!

Now I must rest...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh, kay. One more thing...
Spoiler
When I go into the room where the diary was for the second time, and so find out it's not there anymore (there's even a small delirium period), and then access the "memories"... I find out I remember stuff that's written in the diary I haven't read yet. Bug or on purpose?
[close]

Kneel. Now.

Mortadelo

Simply great... I'm enjoying this game a lot: Excellent graphics, nice story, original interface... Keep making games like these, please  :P
"You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing"

"Life's a piece of shit when you look at it. Life's a laugh and death's a joke; it's true."

adam100

Well great game though I expected a deeper and longer ending. But it was a masterpiece in it's own kind, the whole game and the atmosphere was remarkable. And I really marvel at your talend , for not often do you see someone who does the game practiacally on his own and yet it's of commercial quality. The graphics were great, I sure wish I were so versatile. ;)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Rui-

Spoiler
Noah's memories are based on certain 'key' events you see and think about...Take the two medical charts over the sink for instance, or Dr. Fuch's wall plaque.  Each one sparks a memory or makes Noah think that something strange is going on.  As for the diary, when Noah initially read it (before passing out) Knox mentioned administering a drug to counterract what's wrong with Noah.  That's what Noah is thinking about in his memory.  Also, I'm secretly trying to get skipping cutscenes to work, but don't tell anyone! ;o.
[close]

Mortadelo- I'm very glad you are enjoying the game.  Though working for hours at a time just on the backgrounds really tasked my resolve, I'm glad it's been worth it.

adam100- I've mentioned before that my original plan for the game had a much greater scope, and I agree it could be longer.  I certainly WANTED to make it longer, but I'm only one person and I just felt drained by the 24th background!  Glad you enjoyed it at any rate, and please leave some feedback here about what you liked/disliked!

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=646

Mordalles

great game, progzmax. i LOVE the graphics and the animation, although, i really dont like the gameplay and gui. its kinda distracting me from the story and getting immersed into the game.  everything seems a bit slow and i feel like the game is controlling me, rather me controlling the game.  :)
i know a few have mentioned this, but that cutscene u cant skip is not cool.
its just too slow, and it makes me not wanna play it anymore. im currently stuck there, but ill try finish it anyway. (after looking at hints and tips, since im not going the trial and error route  ;D, i have other things to do.)

good work.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

ManicMatt

Curious, although I was annoyed by not being able to skip that cutscene, it WAS quicker to Alt-X it and just reload. Couldn't you just re-enable the load function at that point somehow?

But the puzzle on that corridor didn't stump me at all, I only had to sit through the cutscene twice, once when I didn't understand how to solve it, and the second time I was intruded by the pop up inv and it made me click like mad and get caught. I could understand why they are being confused though...

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Mordalles and ManicMatt...

See my spoiler post to Rui above :).

scourge

prog, the game has some excellent graphics and animation! Nice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk