December MAGS

Started by Klaus, Thu 01/12/2005 12:04:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we go with the new guidelines set by BaRoN...

Topic: Elves

DESCRIPTION:
Elves are "little creatures of folklore with magic power, often mischievous or malicious, but sometimes kind and helpful." - Websters Dictionary.

This theme is open to broad interpretation: it can easily be related to (certain seasonal festivities) or not as you see fit.

REQUIREMENTS:
1) a bouncing ball
2) a pinching crab
Both of these must be included in the game, but how you do so is up to you (i.e. backgrounds, objects, inventory, NPCs, etc...)

3) Included prominently in the plot there must be some detail of the social structure of elvish society. Elves being a fictional - or at least a very elusive - race, this requirement can be exercised as creatively as you wish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries should be in by December 24th, so we can get them as xmas gift. :)

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

woodz

aint been around for a long time so me and my trusty sidekick will give it a go...
crabs, balls n elves sound fun  :P

Czar

Woo! A xmas theme!
I believe there was none last year (or the year before?), so i hope to see at least a plural of entries. :)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

woodz

is there any palette, screen size restrictions?

please say no as I've already started at 640/480..32 bit ::)

DanClarke

Do you mean Elves as in Elves Presley?

SSH

Quote from: DanClarke on Fri 02/12/2005 15:59:58
Do you mean Elves as in Elves Presley?
You've been watching too many Yellow Pages ads  :P

Baron

PARANOIA: If it isn't mentioned explicitly in the rules, then there's no restriction.  So yes, you can make the game any resolution/pallette depth you want!

Redwall

At least he lived up to his name. :=
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

woodz

Quote from: Redwall on Sat 03/12/2005 00:32:48
At least he lived up to his name. :=

the voices needed to know :P

SpacePirateCaine

A question, if I may - the rules do indeed state that you "must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you", but I was wondering if that meant that team efforts are out? I seem to remember one entry at least that was made by a team, though I can't be completely sure.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Pet Terry

There has been several team efforts made for MAGS before, Coup de Cup and Spellbound come to my mind at the moment. Personally, I don't see why team efforts would not be allowed, after all, it's all about making games.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

SpacePirateCaine

Mahvelous. Then I am planning on making a game for this month's MAGS... Hopefully it works out.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

scourge

Cool, we might see a game by the masterful artist spaceMarineCaine. :) Can't wait to see it.

Bernie

Elves, he said! :3!!1
That sounds like fun. I'll also try to make something small:

A question about the music: Does it have to be original or can I use midis from other games, as well?

EDIT: Thanks for the quick answer, Pablo! :)

Ubel

Quote from: Bernie on Mon 05/12/2005 15:28:38
A question about the music: Does it have to be original or can I use midis from other games, as well?

That's what I always did, so no it doesn't have to be original.

scourge

I was working on my MAGS game, but halted it since i still don't have a hosting space.  :'(

So I'm continuing with my AGS game Kludden instead.

Here is a screen of what the MAGS game looked like so far. It was a mario clone (platformer). I'll host it next year.

lo_res_man

I'm gonna have a shot at this. btw I'm not uploading a screenshot I'm uploading a backround and the stand still sprites for the main c. is dat ok?

<--- main charactor

<--- map

[edit] one question, can I upload on jan 3? I know this is a big thing to ask, but thats when i get back to school and school is my only sure internet source. PLEASE? :'(
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Klaus

Quote from: lo_res_man on Tue 06/12/2005 20:30:52btw I'm not uploading a screenshot I'm uploading a backround and the stand still sprites for the main c. is dat ok?
Sure. The mentioned screenshot is later put on the MAGS site as a preview of the game. But as long as nothing is finished and the game development is still in progress all graphics are welcome.

Quote from: lo_res_man on Tue 06/12/2005 20:30:52one question, can I upload on jan 3?
Oh, I'm sorry but January 3rd really is much too late - the next competition should already start on January 1st. Is it possible to help you in some other way to see your game being published earlier?

lo_res_man

Quote from: Klaus on Tue 06/12/2005 22:37:50Oh, I'm sorry but January 3rd really is much too late

Oh puppy bisckets! :'(oh well I will either work extra fast, or find SOME way of uploading, maybe I'll take my disks 2 the librery or a friends or something.
oh well if i cant I cant and I'll just upload as anormel game. ttfn!
(ta ta 4 now)
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Erenan

I'm working on something. I'm a little behind the game, but I think I'll be able to finish anyway. Things are moving along quickly. ;)
The Bunker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk