Background Blitz 17/12/2005 - 28/12/2005

Started by Rel, Sat 17/12/2005 09:15:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Rel

Topic:

A STEP TOO FAR

Guidelines:
There are many ways to interpret this theme, so get your creative juices flowing ;)

If you're stuck for ideas: your background might show a physical step too far (eg. tracks leading off a cliff edge), a moral one (eg. an unscrupulous research lab, such as Dr Frankenstein's), the remains of a party that got out of control or a room/house designed by a decorator who didn't know when to stop.

There are no size or palette restrictions.

Voting: (thanks to Loominous for the system)
Voting will take place on the 29th & 30th of December. Please give one vote in each of the following categories:

* Best Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't neccesserily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

* Best Design - The style of the picture, architectural, landscape design, best mood, most evocative etc.

* Best Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, including appropriate walking distances, good angle for character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood exits etc.

* Best Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of rendering.

I've allowed a bit less than 2 weeks for entries, in case people are too busy to vote over New Year's, but let me know if you need more time.

MarVelo

I'm to lazy to enter, but look at this.

Chris Reeves R.I.P.

I guess he never gets to go...

Screw Steve, he is a genius

ildu

Aww, that's just mean. It's just a step too far on my scale...:D

big brother

I've been experimenting with this digital painting thing, so I decided to try my hand at this competition. My entry:

(few hours of GIMPwork)

I really need a Wacom tablet.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Gilbert

Heh if only tablets work with WinGimp. := (As far as I remember tablet support for windows port of GIMP was broken, don't know if it's fixed in newer versions though).

Mordalles

that pic of christopher is kinda sick. thats pretty mean, and not funny at all.
its really not cool.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Snarky

It wasn't all that funny until you got offended. Now it is.  :D

Mordalles

vict0r

Wha?! Wacoms dont work with GIMP? :o :( But.. but....

big brother

Wacom tablets work with the latest version of the GIMP, so don't get your panties in a knot.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Mordalles

(about 2 hours)

(done with mouse)

Nikolas

Mordalles, this is an amzing idea and the realisation also I like very very much.

One thing though. Why make the bridge like a snake?

Mordalles

Thanks nikolas. I had it straight, but it just seemed a bit boring.

gameboy

I call this one: "A car designer, who has gone too far"
That's Chris Bangle. When he designed BMW's then all the models he designed were... umm, not pretty. (at least that's what I think)
So on this bg I drew a BMW 630, which is also designed by Bangle.

Rel

Nice entries everyone :) I'm amazed at what you guys can do with just a mouse â€" it would be hard enough to achieve that with a tablet.

Those are some great image manipulations Taffytom XD Thanks for sharing.

Corey

isnt it too late to enter yet?? coz i might wanna enter this... just to practice my skills , i wont win anyway..

oh right this competition is until 28/12
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

Neil Dnuma

Wacom Sapphire
Photoshop CS2
~15 hours

I was trying a new direction with this image, and it's my first 640x480 background. Not entirely happy about it, but good exercise.

A merry Christmas to everyone :)

Andail

Rel

Voting has now begun (and will take place over the 29th & 30th) so please nominate an entry for each of the 4 categories. The results will be announced on the 31st so long as at least 5 people have voted, otherwise I'll extend it.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I'll have to go with a clean sweep for Neil!

Best Idea/Design/Functionality/Technique:  Neil Dnuma.

Very nice work, the clouds and mountains in particular remind me of an old novel cover illustration ;)- and anyone crazy enough to spend 15 HOURS on an entry deserves respect...And a little fear.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk