LucasArts GUI Help Thread (NEW Scumm GUI Available!)

Started by TerranRich, Fri 01/08/2003 06:04:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Proskrito

oh yes, i see.  :-\
You could try to find that:

if (GetCursorMode()==4 && GetLocationType(mouse.x,mouse.y)==2 && Mode("give")){

in the LEFT button interaction in the on_mouse_click function in the global script, and then replace it with:

if (GetCursorMode()==4 && GetLocationType(mouse.x,mouse.y)==2 && Mode("give") && GetCharacterAt(mouse.x,mouse.y)<3){

tell me if it worked! :)

EDIT: btw, the unhandled event function is buggy, i think i'll have to redo it. sorry, but there is only a template user that is telling me the errors he is getting, so i cant ensure that it will work just fine.
And maybe this shoud be in the lucasarts interface thread, im not sure  :P

Nitz

That fixed it.
Now, the interactions are working again.
Thank you for your help.

I'm not exactly the best user of script but I'll do what I can to look for bugs for you.

Thanks again
Nitz

Reno Caspain

Still having a problem with the Proskritos template. I've copied the .agt files to the AGS folder, but when starting a new project, it doesn't have any effect. I'm using version 2.52, if that has any effect.

SSH

Templates require version 2.55 or newer (and require the template to be compiled in an older version than the one you are using), so I suggest downloading the latest version (2.56), backup your game, and move to the latest release.

LuttiArts

Hi all!

I havent used AGS for about 2 years. I dont remember anything...
Pls help me:
I try to make a game in the lukasArt style. I copied the script for the gui from the demo LukasArts Room (U know, the room in the demo with the house from monkey island) and pasted it in the global script. But it doesnt work. The gui appears in the start screen but it should appear in the screen, where I can move my person.
Can u give me the script, which I must paste in the global script??

Pls help me!
Fabs

Scummbuddy

go ahead and read at least the first post in this thread. it will direct you to different templates of the LucasArts guis.  They are much much more stable than the one given with ags and the one in the demo.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

LuttiArts

Wow! Thats relly cool!
But, how can I import the gui in AGS. It only can import *.gui files but the gui is a *.agt file.

Pls Help!
Fabs

Ishmael

It's a fraggin' template. The .agt comes from Adventure Game Template. You put the file in the main AGS directory, start AGS, choose "create new game", select the template form the dialog, type in the game folder name, and click the "next" button... And if there's no "next" button in it, I mean the button that ain't "back".

Got it? Someone come poor a bucket of cold water on me so I can cool off a bit... :P
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

LuttiArts

There are a Push and Pull Button but how can I use it?
I mean, when I have an object I can make interations with "Look at","Talk to object" but how can use pull on the object. It doesnt exist in the list.

Pls help me
Fabs

Scummbuddy

Have you read the readme file that comes with all the templates he made?

"Since Open, Close, Push and Pull are extended modes that use AGS cursormode 8, they'll also be defined this way."  read on in there to get more info."

then post back here with any more questions you may have
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Mats Berglinn

I can't veiw the read-me file at all because when I open it the test is toatlly screwed up. Can't you just explain how you make commands for push, pull, open, close and give on characters, iventory, objects and hotspots. Please tell so I can come further in my game.

Ishmael

The LUCASARTS.GUI which comes with AGS has the extented modes explained in a way.... You use a globalint and the 'any click' interaction command for that.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

SSH

Can people please, including this thread, please stop referring to templates as GUIs: it really confuses all the n00bs, and some oldbies who come across templates for the first time, too!

Thank you!

SSH

Can I point out that the unhandled_event thing breaks completely in 2.6betas due to the new function type checking...

pretty please Proskito, can you fix it?

Mats Berglinn

In the SCUMM templates by prosikito I have found this scripting command:

GoToCharacter(MEL,2,0,1);

I have discovered that this command makes the player character walk to that character that is displayed and turns to him but I'm not sure what the numbers are standing for and the command isn't in the help part. Does any know the fully information behind this command?

It would be usefull to know how so that I can make the player-character walk to characters wherever they are and if you want to either face the player character right, left, up or down.

Proskrito

QuoteCan I point out that the unhandled_event thing breaks completely in 2.6betas due to the new function type checking
yes, tomorrow after work i'll upload the new versions..., now im going to bed :)
QuoteGoToCharacter(MEL,2,0,1);

I have discovered that this command makes the player character walk to that character that is displayed and turns to him but I'm not sure what the numbers are standing for and the command isn't in the help part. Does any know the fully information behind this command?
yes, the commands are:
1)- int CharID >of the character you want to go to;
2)- int direction > at which side of the character the player must go and stay:
0 - the shortest way;
1 -up (behind)
2 -right
3 -down (in front of)
4 -left
3)- int npc faces player > if 1, the npc will face the player character, if 0 he won't
4)- int blocking> 1 blocking, 0 nonblocking

Kinoko

(Sorry if this should be in the general topics)

I'm having trouble with changing the GUI buttons using the MI2 GUI template. I exported the button graphics into my graphics program and changed them, keeping them at the exact same size as the originals for convenience, then importing them (without checking the "import for 640x400 resolution" box) and that worked fine, meaning that when I viewed them in the GUI tab, they were at the right size.
However, I'm making my game in 640x400 res. so I thought I'd make more detailed buttons. I doubled the size of the button graphics, redrew them and imported them again (this time checking the box) and while the graphics are technically the right size in the GUI, the quality has dropped significantly, as if they were larger graphics at a lower magnification. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or some way past this?

Thanks.

Petar

Hi. This is my first post on this forum, so I think I should first introduce myself. My name is Petar and I am from Croatia. I found AGS about a month ago and started a small project which combines GUI's from MI3 and DOTT. Everything works except this small problem.

How can I change cursor on HOTSPOTS which define exiting the specific area (MI3 style arrows)?

I managed to that, but the cursor changes permanently, and I would like it to change back to the original graphic.
I tried to be smart, and defined another hotspot around that particular one to change the cursor with SetCursorGraphic, but it doesn't work.

I am using cursors which change their appearance on Hotspots in the Cursors tab.

Thank you.

Another small question

What are the names of the games that have their screenshots on the AGS forums banner. First is Permanent Daylight. What are the names of the second and third picture.

Thanks again.

Scummbuddy

for your last question, hover your mouse over the banner and your question will be answered.

How large of a surrounding hotspot did you use to try and convert the cursor back to? Making it larger should work, but you may also consider looking into regions to see if that will work for you.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Proskrito

i think you could try to do it with hotspot's properties.
Like, in those hotspots that define the exits, you could make a property called 'exit' or so, and then define the direction (in order to set the correct arrow later).
Then in the repeatedly execute check if the property 'exit' is up, down, left or right, and, if it is, set the cursor image to the corresponding arrow, and if its not, set the default image.
Just an idea, never tried it or anything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk