LucasArts GUI Help Thread (NEW Scumm GUI Available!)

Started by TerranRich, Fri 01/08/2003 06:04:47

Previous topic - Next topic

TerranRich

Okay, three LucasArts GUI questions in a row is a sign.

Please post ALL LucasArts questions here, so that the threads will be easier to see and pick out. We will still continue to look at all remaining LucasArts GUI help threads, however. But after those, please post all questions here.

Thanks. :)

September 30, 2009 Update:
A new Scumm GUI, version 0.9, created by abstauber, is available here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=38874.0

June 7th, 2006: The download for the 2.71 version is at http://ssh.me.uk/MI2forags271.zip thanks to SSH. It should also be compatable with the current 2.72 beta, but post any problems here.

{September 20th, 2005 Super Edit: The download for the 2.7 version is at http://www.lumpcity.co.uk/~skimbleshanks/templates/MI2v2.7.zip with special thanks to Lazarus}

[Early 2005 Edit]Most GUI questions posted here will be in reference to Proskritos' GUI's which can be downloaded from here: http://www.freewebs.com/skimbleshanks/templatesandmodules.htm
As of July 2005, we suggest using an older version of AGS to go with these templates and GUIs, as they were compiled with an older version of AGS. We suggest 2.62

Totoro

Hi,
so let's use the officcial LucasArts Gui Thread now  ;D
My problem seems pretty stupid. I got the GUI at http://usuarios.lycos.es/golfapagina/bazura/
and whenever I try to use them as a template, my AGS will tell me, that these templates where made with a newer version of AGS than I have and I cannot use them with my version. But I have 2.55! What is wrong? Sniff  ???
Totoro

Proskrito

The templates were last edited with a beta version :-\ sorry.
you will need that.

Red_Armadillo

Hi,

what code would I attach to make a walk to command on a Lucasarts type inventory bar. I already have the icon made.
PEPSI kicks Coca~Cola's Butt!

Reno Caspain

Hi!

The LucasArts GUI I'm using defines the extended buttons with SetGlobalVariable(80), and I'd need to use the "If variable is set to a specific value" conditional to find out what action was used. How do I get the value of the variable in CONDITIONAL-statement of the interactions editor?

I've tried setting the conditional to "if (GetGlobalVariable(80)==4".

Bigcitynerd: Use the SetCursorMode command to set the cursormode 1, the same way its used in the default GUI.

inFERNo

Reno, this line of code should be exactly what you need.

if (GetGlobalVariable(80)==4) {
 //place code here
 }

to be specific. If that doesn't work you probably have an error elsewhere, either in defining the global var (make sure it's set to 4) or in the rest of the GUI code.

Red_Armadillo

I used the Lucasarts GUI from AGS, right?  I modified it so you can quit the game and save and all that crap. So is there any way I can fit it to the screen w/o having to change the res.?

Scummbuddy

That is the only way you could make it fit the screen, is by changing the resolution of the images...What, are you trying to make a game in 800 by 600?
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Red_Armadillo

Nope, I'm doing a 640x480 game and I was friggin' stupid and made the objects first!

Reno Caspain

Forgot to mention that for some reason the if (GetGlobalVariable(80)==4) works in script, but not when using the CONDITIONAL from the interactions editor. Technically I could make the entire game by scripting, but I have many actions for each interaction so making it all by scripting would consume a lot more time.

i've tried creating variable by names GlobalInt, GlobalInt(80), GetGlobalInt, and several other names, but the CONDITIONAL doesn't seem to find it.

Scummbuddy

SetGlobalInt
SetGlobalInt (int index, int value);

Sets the global variable INDEX to VALUE. You can then retrieve this value from any other script using GetGlobalInt.
There are 500 available global variables, from index 0 to 499.

Example:

SetGlobalInt(10,1);

will set the Global Integer 10 to 1.
See Also: GetGlobalInt
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Gilbert

Scummbuddy, judging from what he wrote, I think he knew about that already, what he wanted to know was how to refer to variables which are accessible by BOTH text scripting and from Interaction responses.

In fact, I think the interactions can not access GlobalInts currently, instead, you need to use the Graphical Variables (see text script function GetGraphicalVariable(), unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a SetGraphicalVariable(), so you cannot change their values in text scripts at the moment, correct me if I'm wrong)

notagoodname

Does anyone know how to do the label in Monkey Island and DOTT type GUIs which says the action you would get if you clicked the mouse?

Reno Caspain

Now I've got all other GUI functions working exept Give, but the greater problem is that I can't use inventory items on each other. How do I do that?

Scummbuddy

Reno:  Interact with inventory
currently, because the Interact mode selects the inventory item, this interaction can only be triggered by manually calling the RunInventoryInteraction text script function (ie. you have to use the Handle Inv Clicks in Script option).

notagoodname:
Did you make your own LucasArts styled GUI? Or are you using Proskritos template?
-Hoagie from DOTT

Reno Caspain

The one that came with the AGS, I don't know if it's Proskritos or not.

Is there a tutorial about how to handle inventory clicks in script somewhere? Or I think I could figure it all out from examples of look/talk and use modes, as soon as I'd get them.

Or, is there a way to handle ONLY the use inv on inv in the script so I could do other interactions normally?

Scummbuddy

Don't use the one that comes with AGS, there are many faults with that one.  I've tried many times before to save it, but it just fails.  Go ahead and use the first post in this thread to get directed to Proskritos' GUIs.  They will be what you want.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Reno Caspain

Stupid question: How do I use templates? I've got the files downloaded, but I haven't found any instructions for opening them.

Scummbuddy

After you unzip them, you place the files in your ags directory, the one with the agsedit.exe file in it.  then when you start a new game, it will ask you if you want to use a template and it will show up there.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Nitz

First off I have to apoligze if my post isn't in the correct place, this is my first post.

My main problem is with the give command in the DOTT template. The GUI runs fine but I can't seem to run any interaction commands. For example let's say I wanted to give an NPC an item and have the NPC run a dialog after recieveing it.Instead of running my commands it just adds the item to the NPC's inventory. If anyone can help me It would be appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk