A Knight's Pursuit I

Started by scourge, Sat 24/12/2005 01:22:50

Previous topic - Next topic

scourge

Here is my very small small first AGS game. Its a small one roomer. Thanks to Candle for telling me of the cool hosting space.

It was done for the coding contest december 2005. You play as a knight, sir Bredd. He has an audience with the king. Get out of the room. His trusty squire follows him around and provides the walking-Discworld-chest inventory.

DOWNLOAD

I'll make more of these small games (only bigger, few more rooms) when i enter coding contests and MAGS.

scourge

Can anyone download it? When i try it does a splitsecond download and it doesn't work? I use AGS uploads? Is there something I don't know?

[EDIT] i'm trying a reupload.

GarageGothic

Same for me. And opening it says the file is in an unknown format or damaged (which makes sense since it's a 0 byte file).

Candle

scourge

Thanks for that Candle! That helped me out :)

I re-put my game back up. The link works (at least for me)

Candle

It works , downloading now and your welcome.

ManicMatt

Good graphics, some nice animation, but the seperate inventory idea became slightly annoying. (At first I thought it was cool though!)

If you were to adapt this into a full game, with more character to character interaction and a less shallow knight (Unless the squire was smarter than him) I could foresee a good game! The character designs I liked in particular!

Rocco

cant download your entry.
get -> File not found!

i k a r i

Buloght, if you want, try this page...
I would like to play your game... :)
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

m0ds

Or send it to speilbergjnr at hotmail.com and I'll put it on screen7.co.uk

I'd like to play this game, too!

PS, I think games can be uploaded here, too:
http://www.americangirlscouts.org/agsuploads/

Candle

Here is a mirror : they don't keep them long on their server if no ones downloads the file.
http://www.mytempdir.com/355010
Rapid share link
http://rapidshare.de/files/10174992/AKnightsPursuitI.exe.html
Click the free button on the bottom right then add the three letter code .

nihilyst

Hi, buloght!

First of all, I liked the room background (except for the shadow-regions in the corner) and the character art.

Two bugs I noticed: When Sir Bredd took the rusty sword, he told me, his squire would take that, but eventually it was in his own inventory.

When I had the chest open and used it, the program shut down, and I received the following message:

"An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x0045361D ; program pointer is +157, ACI version 2.70.864, gtags (1,0)

in InventoryCarrier (line 72)
from Room 1 script (line 443)"

And the thing with the two inventories ... hm, it didn't bother me, but if the game would have been longer, it maybe would be annoying.

Your works are very promising. I'm waiting for other stuff done by you, especially Kludden. Well, why was I thinking that?

cheers
nihilyst

scourge

thanks for comments.

I'll have reliable hosting for myself in middle-end january.

The first bug is not a bug :) it's a different sword that he gets from the chest.

I'll fix the second bug, i know what's wrong, thanks for heads up.

Thanks for mirror candle.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I'd like to see a version of this with boosted dialog and more rooms since it has an oldskool feel to it (which I like) and the inventory management is fun to play with.

splat44

buloght,

Here are my comments:

Seperate inventories is not annoying kind of, You might want consider the followings:

1) Remove inventory accessibilities via TAB key is can only be used on main character when we can have access to inventory from each characters (Hand icon).

2) Usually almost all game, the hand icon is being used for picking up and using item. I did find it strange to go through door using walk icon after getting stuff from chest instead using Hand icon.

3) Consider putting the door at way bottom of screen (in a visible way).

I hope this help to improved further games.

Joyce

At first the two inventories confused me a little but I really enjoyed playing the game.

Khris

That was funny :)

Two little things, though:
-Lighting the candle would technically require the Knight to be given the neccessary items first.
-When there's no active inventory item, one has to right-click two times to get rid of the talk cursor.

ManicMatt

Eh? Were they not two different talk icons?

scourge

Quote from: khrismuc on Wed 04/01/2006 13:03:08
That was funny :)

Two little things, though:
-Lighting the candle would technically require the Knight to be given the neccessary items first.
-When there's no active inventory item, one has to right-click two times to get rid of the talk cursor.

thanks for playing :)

Both inventories belong to the knight (just like Discworld). So technically he has all the items, he is just too lazy to carry some. So sometimes the two characters may get seperated and the player must have the neccesary items with him, etc.

There is a TALK icon and a MOCK icon. They look similar (slightly different in mouth area) but they have different functions.

sergiocornaga

Ack, I hate xtrafile! Another "file not found"!

simostorm

Fun game man, would love to see this made into a full game with
music and sound effects. Voice would be great but with the difficultys
that could bring you I'd be happy with just sound.

The only problem that I could see in playing
this longterm in a full game would be no active inventory.
Right clicking to change all the time I personally would find annoying
but You could just add that to the top of the screen instead of the save
load option. Thats just my personal preference though.

I loved the characters, in a full game so much fuuny dialogue could be
added between these two, If they had a quest to go on together or whatever
I can see this being a very good game.

scourge

Quote from: simostorm on Mon 09/01/2006 00:34:45
Fun game man, would love to see this made into a full game with
music and sound effects. Voice would be great but with the difficultys
that could bring you I'd be happy with just sound.

The only problem that I could see in playing
this longterm in a full game would be no active inventory.
Right clicking to change all the time I personally would find annoying
but You could just add that to the top of the screen instead of the save
load option. Thats just my personal preference though.

I loved the characters, in a full game so much fuuny dialogue could be
added between these two, If they had a quest to go on together or whatever
I can see this being a very good game.

Thanks for playing, glad you enjoyed it.

I have been talking with one of my friends (a pro background artist). And I am gonna make A Knight's Pursuit 2 into a medium length (at least) game.

I am gonna keep the two characters - the shallow knight and his trusty squire. The knight will still be the shallowest main character ever but the plot will reveal all ...

I will cast away the double-inventory and have only one.

simostorm

I didnt mind the background you had to be honest it looked great.
What program did you draw it on?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk