Cedric and the Revolution (Dec '05 MAGS)

Started by Bernie, Sat 24/12/2005 02:18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

voh

I agree with the before-last commenter - it truely is a classic adventure game. Sure, it's short - but it's filled to the brim with quality. Your art is amazing, and the songs, although not original, fits the scenes very, very well.

The writing is very well-done, and the plight of the character is endearing - causing you to care. From the start it was very obvious what needed to be done - and the steps necessary were logical (although some situations were not as logical as they seemed).

The hat catching thing reminded me of the babelfish puzzle in Hitchhiker's Guide, and it made my day. I love those puzzles.

The potato machine puzzle reminded me of Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate (one of my most fabulously fantastically favourite games (alliteration rules)) but I don't know exactly why.

You made my day. This is easily one of my most favourite AGS games ever, amongst No Action Jackson, the Yahtzee games and Cirque de Zale (yes, kinoko, that game is still awesome).

Keep on trucking, dude, and if you have too much spare time, I've got some backgrounds that need makin' ;)
Still here.

Bernie

Thanks for your replies, everyone! :3

I'd love to have more time for game making, but my spare time is pretty limited because of my full time job. Either way, Cedric and the Revolution was good practice for me, and more AGS games will follow.

I haven't worked on City of Fortune or Hero Theorem for a while now, but I'll most likely work on HT (which needs a story/graphics overhaul) after finishing a small platform game.

voh

If you need any help with the story, I can help. I do a lot of creative writing and I've worked on a couple of scripts in the past. At the very least I can read some things and look for consistency and logic :)
Still here.

Barbarian

Okay, I've finally had a chance to play through this game... and from beginning to end it is truely Excellent!Ã,  It has the feel of an "adventure game classic", and most importantly it was a lot of fun.

Ã,  I only noticed (I think) one minor spelling error in the whole game
Spoiler
(When in the Prison Cell scene and talking to your friend he says why you're in there, and I noticed he said something to the effect of "You pissed the king of" which was probably was meant as "You pissed the king off". I'm just going on memory right now, so perhaps that wasn't the exact wording? Oh well, I could be wrong).
[close]

Ã,  Ã, But, overall, I thought the graphics, animations, characters, stories, puzzles, involment and playability... Excellent!Ã,  And the music you choose fit each scene very well too, and though lacking "sound effects", the nice music made up for it.

Bernie: Thank you so much for your efforts and for sharing your wonderful game with us. You have a wonderful talent at making adventure games, and I look forwards to seeing more games from you in the future.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Elliott Hird

Oi! Why aren't you working on Hero Theorem?!?!

Czar

Yesterday i remembered that there was the last dec. MAGS game on my HD that i havent played( i was really into playing these days).
Although it was way past bedtime and the state i was in... well let's say i was kind of drunk.

Anyway, I started playing the game and after the so promising title i knew i saw the Apprentice hype happening all over again.
You really did a great job by releasing this game in the last minute(in the nick of time??), for it to be remembered as an 2005 game. :)

Ofcourse, I too would probably play the game in one breath but there was a bug that stopped me. Well, if you wanna know, the bug happened after i managed to leave Victor in the hat alley near the
Spoiler
net on the hole
[close]
. Then i continued to his workshop ALONE, and did such a predictable move that i should be awarded for Bug-stupidity award.
I entered Victors room.

After that I just didn't feel like playing any more.

edit: Or did I? I noticed a savegame here... That must have been some night. :-\ :=
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Bernie

Czar: Haha, damn. I thought I made sure leaving Victor in the alley wasn't possible. I'll fix it, thanks! :) Please let me know (that is, if you remember) what exactly you did.
EDIT: Fixed that bug. I can't believe I missed it!

Elliott: I still want to work Hero Theorem but I wanna make this small platformer first. It'll probably take only 2 to 4 weeks, anyway.

Barbarian: Oi, typo alarm! I'll fix it, thanks! EDIT: Fixed

voh: I'll let you know when I'm in need for help. Thanks for your offer.

EDIT: The fixed version is up!

Kweepa

Wow, that only took a month?
Fantastic game, thanks!
I look forward to what you can do with some more time!
I particularly liked the
Spoiler
proof of friendship, and the demon in the bathtub.
[close]
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Czar

I just re-read the thread, but with reading the spoilers this time(because now i'm allowed to).

I just want to mention that one of the reasons why I love(and usually get frustrated with) them is when you miss something obvious and you start doing crazy things. You begin to think about so many possibilities, and when you look at it after you solved the puzzle, it's funny.
I was more or less talking about fabiano not finding the right path to the |s|king's|/s| room. I can only imagine what ways of escapping he had in his mind. Or he had none. :) That's ok.
I myself wanted to melt the pictures to use them as a base for the candles so they could stand. :P

That is also why i loved the part when you try to use the spoon to free Victor. The reply is an all-timer. I'm surprised nobody has done something like that in a community like this (or has, but I haven't played the game :P).
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

xelanoimis

Great game!
I'm playing it right now, but I've got stuck: got all ingredinents but the tears. Anyone, help!

plebeo

Really nice game !!
I like it very much!
Simple but very funny!!

ida

Really fun game to play, thanks Bernie!

The dialogue was excellent, and Cedric was funny without being sickening cute  :)

Play_Pretend

Oh my gawd this is an awesome game.  The graphics are truly phenomenal, Bernie.  The gameplay is fun, and the dialogue is cute/funny.  Congratulations on a masterpiece!

I found a tiny bug in the game...when you have the hammer in your inventory, if you try to use any other item on the hammer, it says, "I don't think the branch will be happy with that."  and then if you try to use the bouncy ball on the hammer, instead it says "The rope is too thick, I couldn't tie it around the branch properly." :)  I'm thinking maybe some variables got crossed somewhere by accident. :)

But teriffico!  23 stars!

Update:  Just finished the game!  Woo!  That was sweet.  I was particularly impressed by the background of the bedroom.   Now I'm even more curious about the rope/branch thing, because as far as I could tell, it doesn't even happen in the game. :)  But super-double-kudos!

Bernie

Thanks for your replies!

Strange Visitor: Those replies are leftovers from a different game of mine. I forgot to remove them...Ã,  := Thanks for mentioning it. A fixed version has been uploaded.

xelanoimis: Go to http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=24170.20, you'll find the answer to your question there. ;)

Czar

I found the branch replies actually humourous, contributing to the overall mock up humor.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

JimmyShelter

Great game, I loved playing it! Wish it would have been longer!

TheMagician

Thank you very much for all the dedication you put into that project!
A very nice game!!!

Beautiful graphics, humorous dialogues, lovely characters!

I haven't finished the game yet but I like it very much!
Thanks again for this great game!
Stefan

LeChuck

Great game with great graphics, dialogue and characters. The speed up function was a great little addition that I wish more games used.

However, I feel the game had a little too few responses to logical interactions the player would try in order to solve a problem, that doesn't work. For example:
Spoiler
1. Using the feather as "something from nature" (?) in the spell didn't work.
2. Using the coffee beans on the table thing inside the ironsmith's house (to smash them with the hammer) didn't work.
[close]

The game had no explanation as to why it didn't work, though. These are just examples, as I don't remember the rest of the times I thought "why doesn't this work?".

This is just nitpicking of course, as you were under a tight schedule, but I feel it would improve the game slightly.

Bernie

Thanks for the comments!

LeChuck:
Spoiler
The ingredient you mention was called 'essence of nature', I don't see why a feather would work for that.

About using the hammer on the beans: For some reason I didn't think of that possibility when making the game. It's an obvious solution but I completely missed it.
[close]

Revan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk