karma (noun): The effects of a person's actions that determine his destiny...
In Karmaland, not too far from here, live the Karmites who long ago established the laws of Karma. The Karma Police uphold the laws of Karma and reward or punish those who tilt the scale of Karma too far in one direction.
Karl, a new recruit among the Karma Police, is assigned his first duty the day he signs up. It’s up to Karl to make sure the force of Karma is served with justice. Karl must punish John Doorong for his recent actions, but also remind Mr. Doorong of why he is being punished, else Doorong will blame his misfortunes on that of Bad Luck, and the Lucky Charms do not take kindly to the Karma Police when they are angered by such an event.Karl the Karmite: Bad Karma
is a classic point & click adventure where the player will take the role of Karl, and guide him in his adventure as a Karmite. Unlike traditional adventure games where the player will interact with objects by picking them up, using them, etc. the player here will use Karl’s abilities to affect the world around him in positive and negative ways, and perform other tricks as well.Features:
-320x240 resolution with scrolling 640x240 backgrounds.
-Unique puzzles that are solved using Karl's abilities as a Karmite.
-No inventory full of random objects!
-Background art that defies proportions and perspective, lacks correct lighting and shadowing, and avoids detail!Downloads:Karma Police: Unit Training
This is a small test demo so that you can become familiar with the game controls. Please test for bugs and also comment on the GUI and anything else.
Also, credit goes to Gilbot V7000a, Ashen, and others in the Beginners Technical Forum for helping me, Scorposer for providing the music track, and A1 Free Sound Effects for the sounds. Main Progress:
Art - 15%
Story - 70%
Programming - 15%
Puzzles - 30%
Music/Sound - 0%Mini-Game Progress:
Art - 100%
Story - N/A
Programming - 100%
Puzzles - N/A
Music/Sound - 100%
The game will be completed by May 15th, 2006
. Possibly earlier. A demo is currently available.
- Progress has been slow (read: none) on Karl the Karmite due to class work, although I hope to make more progress this coming weekend, and possibly Friday. However, I am also waiting on feedback for the GUI and interactivity with the environment as seen in the demo.01/22/06
- I have halted progress on Karl the Karmite because AGS no longer works. I have no idea why it stopped working. One day it worked fine, the next day I go to load it up and I recieve an error. I cannot even play my own demo, because I get the same error. All other programs on my computer work.
Added: I fixed my AGS problem and am now working on Karl the Karmite: Bad Karma despite my lack of feedback from the demo.01/20/06
- The demo is finished! Sort of... I have one piece of code left to do and I can't figure it out, so please see my latest thread in the Beginners Technical Forum if you want to help me with that. The demo uses free sounds from the web and also a music track Scorposer made for me long ago for use in another game idea of mine that was never finished. modgeulator is willing to make music for the full game of Karl the Karmite: Bad Karma so the full game will have a nice soundtrack.
Added: The code from Gilbot V7000a worked and now my crazy demo is ready. See above for link. If you have any trouble downloading please PM me.01/19/06
- It's early on the 19th here and I have finished coding some more for the game demo. The game demo is called Karma Police: Unit Training and basically allows you to become familiar with the controls and the way you interact with the environment, and has no real story or puzzles behind it. It's also a way for me to test scripts without screwing up anything in the real game, so although while working on the demo doesn't allow me to progress with the real game, I learn techniques that will help make the production of the real game go faster.01/18/06
- I have started coding for the demo game and I have uploaded a screenshot of the demo room that shows off my rather large and amazing graphical user interface (GUI). I have made no progress in the actual full game development other than the fact that I can simply transport the fully coded GUI over to the game when I am ready to start there.