Background Blitz : 18 Jan - 1 Feb 2006

Started by Darth Mandarb, Wed 18/01/2006 20:02:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Mandarb

Voting:
Voting will take place on the 1st and 2nd of February.

Please give one vote in each of the following categories:

Best Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't neccesserily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

Best Design - The style of the picture, architectural, landscape design, best mood, most evocative etc.

Best Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, including appropriate walking distances, good angle for character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood exits etc.

Best Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of rendering.

ScottDoom

Sounds nifty! I might enter in a bit although my art skills aren't that great. It's always good to practice.

scourge

Hah, i have made a cave background for my MAGS game, maybe i'll submit it as an entry here, hmmm ...

Neil Dnuma

Not an entry...

But a great topic, I'll probably enter!

goldude

My first background blitz entry: An overhead view of a cave.

vict0r

goldude

There are 2: The slime at the bottom and the cracked walkway at the right.

Arcangel

I'm not good drawing caves, but i will try this.

vict0r

x2

A couple of hours of paintwork.

And y'all see the threatening yellow eyes in the little hole by the pond?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

With all the high color and resolution backgrounds, I thought I would break things up a bit by making a c-64 style background.  In 11 colors.

I was going to animate and add more detail but I just got bored of working on it, so here it is for all you old graphics haters!

ScottDoom

Sorry if I'm ruining it ProgZmax, but is the threat that formation of rock that looks like a monster (right of blue) or just the bats hanging in the top right?

Nice background too.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You'll have to play Adventures in the Magician's Undercaves to find out!

Gilbert

Or, just rip Loom's dragon and put it on the bg to complete the task. :=

rharpe

Kobold in a cave... Beware! (16 colors, EGA)
"Hail to the king, baby!"

seaduck

The Mines of Moria

Size: 160x100
Colors: 11

EDIT: Updated!

Mordalles

wow, some really great entries so far! man, progz, that looks amazing!

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

vict0r

I agree that progzmax' entry is great, but it doesnt follow the set rules. There is no threat there, and by saying that the threat would be in the game, anything would be allowed to do.

IM NOT TEH SPAM

So... creatures with glowing blue fiery eyes no longer classify as threats?
APPARENTLY IM ON A "TROLLING SPREE"

Darth Mandarb

Great entries so far!

ProgZ - I don't ever want to hear you say you can't do BGs, that's a wonderful entry!

Quote from: vict0r on Thu 19/01/2006 19:21:13I agree that progzmax' entry is great, but it doesnt follow the set rules. There is no threat there, and by saying that the threat would be in the game, anything would be allowed to do.
I can see all kinds of threats in ProgZ's entry:
1) the 'beast' hiding in plain site
2) the dangerous spike (stalactite) hanging from the cave's ceiling
3) the mysterious blue lights
4) the bats hanging from above

rharpe - an excellent use of 16 colors.  Doesn't really convey a "cave of terror" feeling, but it's scary enough!

More, more, more!!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Hey, I'll have you know those mysterious blue lights are the Magician's stash of shrooms...The whole point you're going down there in the first place!  Just don't eat one or...Well, you know that old chestnut...Turning into a 7 foot tall slobbering slime monster.

I think vict0r missed the bit where it says threat 'hiding' in the cave, but that's ok!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk