Lonely Night

Started by Sinitrena, Fri 20/01/2006 02:53:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

Lonely Night

An old man lives alone in his house. His wife has died some years ago.

One night he thinks that there's a burglar in the house.

This is an entry for the January MAGS 2006

Download here   Version 2

Mirror  Version 2

Enjoy!

ScottDoom

Sounds interesting... If I would have entered MAGS I would have also made the main character in a wheelchair but I didn't. Does he have any awesome wheelchair powers?  :D

voh

Yes, he has the awesome power of not falling over and breaking both his hips!

;)
Still here.

raynerape

Quote from: ScottDoom on Fri 20/01/2006 03:51:30If I would have entered MAGS I would have also made the main character in a wheelchair but I didn't.

How about a crippled character *without* wheelchair. Now that would be some gome. Instead Walk, you could have Crawl. The interface would have two hands below the game screen where you could put items, and pockets to carry limited (say, 4 items) not in hand. And you could crawl half speed when carrying something in one hand, for the purpose of time-based puzzles, and be unable to move when both hands are used. In order to use item, you have to drag it out of pocket into desired hands and then use hand (or just Use on the object you want to use the item with).

Cees

The safe...the code.. ???

Sinitrena

First hint:
Spoiler
There are two hints: A piece of paper and a book
[close]
Second hint:
Spoiler
A equals 1, so you have to assign a number to every letter (A=1,B=2,C=3,...)
[close]
Third hint:
Spoiler
The story of Ali Baba has a (more or less) famous sentence (that isn't mentioned in the game, but has something to do with a door)
[close]
Last hint:
Spoiler
The sentence is: "Open, sesame", you only need sesame
[close]

If you still don't get it, please ask again.

Joyce

I thought ya weren't supposed to ask for hints in here, can you help over in Hints & Tips I'm stuck (as usual) lol

sthomannch

Maybe I found a bug.
Spoiler

After the son returns and the father removes the rope from the door, the game crashes.
[close]
"An error has occured... in Room 2 script (line 672)
Error: NewRoom: Cannot run this command, since there is a NewRoom command already queued to run

Sinitrena

Maybe you found a bug?
You defenitly found one. I uploaded a new version (see my first post)
In case you don't want to download it again:
Spoiler
Just don't to the puzzle with the ropes as the last of the three puzzels. The bug won't occur this way
[close]

Wretched

Yeah, the same crash just happened to me also.
Top game by the way!

Edit. Hey good timing, will try again!

sthomannch

Thank you!
A nice game and good music. I enjoyed it :-)

Cees

I've to read the classics again ;)
Thanks for the hint...it worked fine.

I'm sorry to post this in the wrong forum. But why not i thought :P

So far so very nice! Love the intro and then the beginning of the game. Suspence game into my mind. Very good story so far.

Mortadelo

Very good game, I really liked it, but I think I didn't understand very well the ending:

Spoiler
Is it just that the old man cannot forget his wife? Did he really think that it all happened but he was wrong?  I thought at the beginning that maybe the burglar was his son's girlfriend  :P please, tell me
[close]

"You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing"

"Life's a piece of shit when you look at it. Life's a laugh and death's a joke; it's true."

Sinitrena

Thanks for the nice comments.

About the ending (please only read this when you actually finished the game)
Spoiler
Actually, you're not supposed to understand it. That's the whole purpose of the story.
It could be that the old man was imagining things, it could also be that it was just a very clever burglar.

But well, yes, he can't forget his wife.
I tried to show how strong memories can be and how dificult it is to forget someone you loved.
I wanted to be a bit philosophical, you know.

It didn't occur to me that the burglar might be the girlfriend of the son, so this solution is wrong.
[close]

Jhumjhum

Hi Sinitrena!

Very lovely and touching game. I kinda felt sad after playing it...sad for the old man. The songs were very nice too & added to the ambience especially "since you are gone..."

The character is real & it echoes the life of so many old people who have lost the past & don't have much to look forward to in the future.

Sinitrena

Wow, thanks zoomer.

As for the songs:
The one "since you are gone" is called "Lonely Nights". The website of the artists is http://www.the-scorpions.com/english/

The other is well known from the movie Casablanca

scourge

hey, looks cool. I have started playing, will say more when (and if i can  ;D) complete it.

TassieDevil

A very nice game, I enjoyed it a lot. Well done.

Just one thing to all of you game producers, please consider there are colour blind people around :( No way in the world I can do puzzles with colours. At least there was a good hint in the other section!

jane

Good game, but wierd ending - yep I know thats how its supposed to be  ;)

Derwo

A really good game.
Well done, Sinitrena! I'll now have a look on your older games.

One technical thing:
While all sounds and the song "Lonely Nights" were played correctly, I wasn't able to hear "As time goes by".Ã,  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk