Monthly Writing Competition - February - Voting Time!

Started by Mr Flibble, Tue 31/01/2006 19:53:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Flibble

Sorry about the delay here, I've been offline for a while and forgot to do this.
First, some house rules.

- Participants will write a story not limited by length unless specified by the month's rules;
- It's impossible for a judge to be impartial in this kind of competition where, for instance, great writing can save a meager plot. So the voting will be public, and go on for at least a week after the deadline, when the winner will be announced.
- The competition should last a month. Therefore, this particular one will run until the 28th of February - though some slack may given. Don't abuse it, though. Five days after the "official" deadline no further entries are allowed and voting begins, but this tolerance is not mandatory, rather left to the thread-starter's descression.
- The actual posts must NOT contain the story, but a link to it. The story MUST be hosted somewhere, even if temporarily.
- The object of this is to write a story. It can be a short story with 10 lines, it can be a whooper with 20 pages. It can have no characters, or a myriad of them. It can be in first person, or third; present or past of future tense. Your ONLY limitations are the ones the rules state, if any.
- The winner provides the theme and rules for the next comp.
- The comp-starter may participate. It's happened already, and this voting system should elliminate unfairness. Of course, out of fairness, the comp starter should start it without already forming an idea of the story he may write.

With these few and fairly liberal rules,  here's the theme.

'Chaos'

You can apply this in whichever way you feel fit, the theme is really just a scaffolding for your ideas. Don't feel limited to End of the World scenarios, whilst these are perfectly valid, feel free to explore the theme and be a little bit creative. I'm not going to be 'Theme Nazi' with you, so relax, and just write something.

Alright, go get 'em! I want to see a lot of entries here.

Remember
Writing is highly subjective, everyone will view a piece of writing in a different way depending on how they relate to it, so even if you write a story and decide you don't like it, enter it anyway, you never know what might catch someone else's imagination.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

voh

Finally, a writing contest I can partake of!

Quite the Fall, a short story in 2393 words.

I took the chaos thing a bit liberal, and went the dream approach. I hope it's still chaotic and non-sensical enough, though the red thread of the story is sort of logical.

Anyway, yeah. Enjoy reading it :)

edit: I edited the story and fixed some issues that were bothering me. It's now 2947 words long, and should be somewhat more nice :p
Still here.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I might not be able to participate in this one, shame on me. Too busy. Good luck for all participants - and, great theme!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

voh

C'mon people! If you plan on writing games, you'd better get some practise in or your dialogues and narratives will suck to no end! :D

Participate!
Still here.

Sinitrena

First time I enter this competition.

The story is rather short and didn't turn out like I wanted it, but anyway, here you are:

The Man

voh

It's not bad at all, but yeah, I was thinking "awww, need more" after finishing :)

Write more!
Still here.

Mr Flibble

Great stuff so far guys.
This post acts as a subtle bump, and also a reminder that we're just over half way through the competition.

frankenberger

I've got a story.

I've posted it on my deviantART account so apologies if that wasn't the right thing to do. I just couldn't think of anywhere else to host it.

It does contain coarse language. Violence too. And basically unpleasant people.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29358129/

ps... Love your work, everyone!

Grapefruitologist

(\ _ /)
(o.o )
(>< )
This is Bunny
Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IIO2qpSsUTA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-p7xaeYes

Mr Flibble

I'm not sure about the rules on multiple entries, but I'm going to ask that you choose One entry out of your three for voting consideration.

Grapefruitologist

(\ _ /)
(o.o )
(>< )
This is Bunny
Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IIO2qpSsUTA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-p7xaeYes

Mr Flibble

Since there appear to be no more entries, I declare the ballots open.

Vote, my friends, vote!

Sinitrena

These are all interessting entrys.
I vote for frankenberger.

Mr Flibble

I vote for voh.

Is Neole's hostage space still up? Franken could host his her story there, for those who don't want to join Deviant.

voh

You can just click download to desktop - and you'll get the story.
Still here.

Mr Flibble

frankenberger

Mr Flibble

Corrected, ma'am.
You'll have to excuse me, I suppose I (very sexistly) assumed male.

Mr Flibble

We need some more votes before I can close this bitch.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk