February MAGS

Started by Klaus, Wed 01/02/2006 13:50:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we go with the new rules by buloght. Not too difficult and very free for interpretation:

Topic: Underworld

Generally anything fitting the topic is allowed. So make up your mind and think of a great story and location like for example:

- the real underworld
- some kind of society under the city
- a dwarven mine
- etc.

No further restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries should be in by February 24th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

vict0r

Are we allowed to go in pair? :) I would love to enter, but dont think i have the time to finish it on my own :-\

Mats Berglinn

I believe that you can team up as long as you do some work on the game and not do something like gather a bunch of guys, do nothing except telling orders and when's the game's finished you claim all the work. It's okay to just do the story telling and the puzzles and the others do the graphics, sounds etc. At least I think it is. Tell me if I'm right or not.

I think of enter this month but it might happen I'll slip out... again.

Klaus

Quote from: vict0r on Wed 01/02/2006 17:09:48
Are we allowed to go in pair? :) I would love to enter, but dont think i have the time to finish it on my own :-\

Quote from: Mats Berglinn on Wed 01/02/2006 17:37:11
I believe that you can team up as long as you do some work on the game and not do something like gather a bunch of guys, do nothing except telling orders and when's the game's finished you claim all the work. Tell me if I'm right or not.

Well, in general this is no team competition - "you may get help, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you". On the other hand we already had some team entries in the past and it all is not too strict here. But keep in mind that there should be some kind of "same conditions" for every participant.

So if you think it's fair to compair the final game with an entry that's created by just one person don't hesitate to start working together :)

mwahahaha

Hmm... nice topic, I'd love to enter, but schools back and I seriously doubt I'll have time.Ã,  I may enter if I have enough time at some point.  I'll try, that's for sure.

Maxileen

Since my last entry was exactly one year ago, I think it's time to take part in the competition again - and I really love the topic "underworld". The only problem could be that I don't know if I'm having enough time this month, but at least I'm gonna try to finish the game :).

By the way: Is it allowed to use characters from an older game or do all the graphics have to be completely new?

Mats Berglinn

Quote from: Maxileen on Thu 02/02/2006 20:35:35
Since my last entry was exactly one year ago, I think it's time to take part in the competition again - and I really love the topic "underworld". The only problem could be that I don't know if I'm having enough time this month, but at least I'm gonna try to finish the game :).

By the way: Is it allowed to use characters from an older game or do all the graphics have to be completely new?

As far as know, I don't think that you can't reuse old characters. Right, Klaus?

Klaus

Quote from: Maxileen on Thu 02/02/2006 20:35:35
Is it allowed to use characters from an older game or do all the graphics have to be completely new?

Quote from: Mats Berglinn on Thu 02/02/2006 21:04:36
As far as know, I don't think that you can't reuse old characters. Right, Klaus?

Twice "no" means "yes"!? :) Well, it's always nicer to see new characters of course. Let's say it is not really forbidden to use premade walkcycles but it is recommended to create new ones. So if you find the time better create new characters and maybe they also fit better to the game then...

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

Well, I never participated, but I'd love to one day. Maybe now, I don't know, but I have some stuff on my hands already so it can be very difficult.

One question: Is the MAGS competition restricted to Adventures?

This sounds logical to me, but who knows...
Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Gilbert

I don't think so, unless it's stated in the rules of a particular month (though adventure games are preferred, as AGS doesn't stand for Adult Action Game Studio).
Since there're non-adventure games in past competitions, I think it's quite safe to assume you can make whatever game you want, as long as it follows the set rules.

mwahahaha

I had a bit of spare time so I made a bit of a start, I had a few problems with some things, but I think they're fixed now.
Anyway, here's a little pic of the player character.

Klaus

Quote from: Yurina on Fri 03/02/2006 09:31:10
Is the MAGS competition restricted to Adventures?

It's just as Gilbot V7000a already said: There are no restrictions according the "type" or genre of an entry unless it's stated in the rules of a particular month (though adventure games are preferred).

Saberteeth

AWSM, I think I'll join in.

here, a pic of A character(not the player charcter):

100%

200%

A pirate with and without a makeover :)!

EDIT:

This now IS the player character:

Uku

NOOO!!
not THE underworld
im not good at "now i have to make a underwold game"gosh. neither of wais im good at "UnDeRwOrLd"
i like sleeping-in-class inspiration.-thatss i call it.(my inspiration)
PS!sorry for my english.

scourge

Quote from: Uku on Mon 06/02/2006 18:59:24
NOOO!!
not THE underworld
I'm not good at "now i have to make a underwold game"gosh. neither of wais I'm good at "UnDeRwOrLd"
i like sleeping-in-class inspiration.-thatss i call it.(my inspiration)

NOOO!
An immature post. Why don't you make a non-MAGS game ,hmmm.
Uku: You don't have to make THE underworld game, it could be about anything that resembles some kind of underworld. That's about anything.

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll participate next month, I don't get that much inspiration with the theme underworld for things to happen. I already imagined things with witches, vampires, Black MAgic, etc. But I just can't create anything that's good enough.
Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Uku

offtopic-doh... im still making a game. i told, that im not good forcing myself to make a game, it needs to flow, if next MAGS is something else than furure or dead(aliens an SCI-FI)il probably ?attend?
PS!sorry for my english.

Mordalles

hehe, uku, you're funny, hehe.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Uku

il take this as a complime..-ah il just shut up-best for mee before il say something stupid...again.
that NOOO!- way that NOOO!-i got to know january MAGS too late and i soo wanted to make competition in february but it was such a type, that im not good about.
mordalles imagine if you ?road/read" my 2.nd post in this topic, then there were also my signature included.
PS!sorry for my english.

Mordalles

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk