MODULE: MiniGame V1.00 (update 04-21-08)

Started by RickJ, Sat 23/04/2005 01:01:38

Previous topic - Next topic

RickJ

Quote from: spook1 on Fri 03/02/2006 17:59:58
Is it due to the restartgame(); problem, mentioned by largopredator elsewhere in this forum?

Martijn, I wasn't sure what you are referring to but I checked it out and found that it was related to my suggestions.  Thanks.

Monkey, thanks for the correction.

spook1

Rick,

I am not sure that I have understood all discussions on this topic. Is there a workaround now for this MiniGame problem, that I can implement?

Regards, Martijn

RickJ

Here is a snap shot of the MoiniGame module that you can probably use for your purposes Martijm.  I will post newer versions as they become available.  Let me know if you have any p[roblems with this.

MiniGame_V102.scm

spook1

Rick,

I imported the module version102. Still I cannot start the game.
I get an introsequence, after that the display: "Press enter to start the game. " But pressing enter does not result in any game starting.
Nothing happens...

any suggestions?

RickJ

Have you imported the module into both games?  Have you tried upgrading to AGS 2.71 or V2.72?  I have seen this behavior recently while I was changing the module.  I didn't try to find out exactly what was happening because I knew I had things out of sync.  The problem eventually went away.  If importing the module into both games doesn't fix the problem let me know and I'll upload the current DemoQuestand DQCycle games for you. 

spook1

I did not import the module in the maingame (my maingame is named SpaceSpy). I run the minigame as standalone for the time being. Implementing in the main game is planned later, when the minigame is finished so to say.

Won't the module work as standalone anymore?

I am sorry to confess that I do not understand the module completely :-(

regards,

Martijn

RickJ

Upload your game somewhere and I'll take a look at it.   I PM'ed you the FTP info for my site if you wish to upload there.   

Let me know what version of AGS you are currently using and the URL where I can get the game and I'll have a look.

I am sorry to confess that I do not understand the module completely :-(
It's a diffcult module to understand because of the way Save/Restore game functions work and from where they can and can't be executed.    What happens is that the actual operations are not performed where the instruction appears in the code but after after that particular script is completed.   So instructions that appear after the Save/Restore instructions in the script are actually executed before the Save/Restore operations are performed.   

In addition,  the Restore operation overwrites all the variables so if you want to set a flag or other variables to remember what the module is doing you have to play some tricks, like saving/restoring some data in a text file and taking advantage of the RunAGSGame() data parameter.

So don't feel too bad about not understanding it fully.   For the same reasons I am not yet happy with the scripting of this module and aI am currently trying to make it a little les convoluted.

RickJ

Just wanted to bump the thread and announce a new version.  It requires AGS V2.72 so if you are using an earluer version of the module with an earlier version of AGS just stay with what you got. Cheers.

EnterTheStory (aka tolworthy)

Does anyone know what happened to minigame? It looks like exactly what I need, but none of the links on this page seem to work.

Edit: ah, it appears that the demoquest game has it all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk