Animation Competition: 2/6 - 2/20

Started by MrColossal, Mon 06/02/2006 02:32:01

Previous topic - Next topic

MrColossal

Congratulations!

You've been hired on as a temp sprite artist for Colossal Industries. You'll be helping us complete our milestone in 1 weeks time to be shipped off to the developer.

We need this character turned into a useable sprite for the Gameboy Advanced. Please reduce the palette down to 16 colours including the transparency. Please reduce the animation down to 8 frames, 15 is too much for us at the moment.

Consider the animation provided as a conceptual animation. Feel free to embellish on what you think would help make the character look good. Do not add arms and he is only to have 1 eye.

As an added bonus, if you have time, please provide an idle standing animation facing to the right.

Good luck, keep track of your hours so we can compensate you promptly and correctly.

Thank you,

Eric Colossal
VP Colossal Industries

Edit: added another week
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Revan

hello... This is my first attempt (Think I'll add some extras to the animation).. Also the Idle animation; what restrictions do we have on that?

x2

took me about 1 hour 30 min

MrColossal

Hey thanks for entering

Idle: has to use the same palette, 8 - 10 frames max.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Revan

:-\ great....... I made it only its only 7 frames (that a problem?)

Here it is...

x2

MrColossal

8 - 10 was a maximum, not minimum, it's fine!

Thanks for entering!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I corrected a few issues with it by reducing color count by hand since it was smoothed into the background color (and auto color reduce tends to look bad).  This version is 14 colors and I made a few different animations for it (may make more if I feel like it).  I also reframed it so it can be tossed right into the game.  I also gave him an Elvis type pompadour and some clothes to make him look more interesting.

Walking normal

Standing pose

Idle animation

Looks at watch

Though you didn't explicitly state you wanted the image scaled down for the gba I redrew Eyebee McBrow to be more small screen friendly and added a new animation- JUMP!

GO EYEBEE!

Pesty

Hello, eric! I have made you something! I was trying to make it look like something from Commander Keen or something.

x3

Since I made it so small, it's only got 6 frames.

And I made an idle animation, too!

x3

I know that it's walkcycle is a bit goofy looking. I told you that I am not an animator!
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

The Ivy

Hey Pesty, that's adorable!Ã,  And it does kind of look like a Yorp from Commander Keen...

vict0r

rharpe

Here's my dumb attempt at a small, bouncing, 1-eyed, creature. 
"Hail to the king, baby!"

Nacho

My attempt... Hope it works. I used a black outline, so I don't need to use the magentas for antialising the sprite with the background colour. I rushed a bit, hope you can see the different way of focusing the problem.

Now enter in my X-prite jam! ^_^

EDIT... A new revisited one...

Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

vict0r

Isnt this supposed to be over?Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Yesterday?

Edit: Somehow i managed to read it as 13. ;D

Tomas

I didn't change the original concept that much and it is a little rushed, but here's my entry. It's based on an old animation of mine so it didn't take _that_ long to create. I guess it still needs some tweaking but what the heck. Enjoy!

Gilbert

Quote from: vict0r on Wed 15/02/2006 19:26:47
Isnt this supposed to be over?Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Yesterday?

Edit: Somehow i managed to read it as 13. ;D

It was set to 13th originally, but then Eric realized that animation competitions were mostly 2 weeks, so he extended the deadline.

Tomas

Did this competition just fade away, or was it secretly extended by yet another week?

MrColossal

Hello participants.

Thank you for entering into the sprite test, while we are a growing company we only choose to hire one person for the time being.

After going over the results with our team of lead artists we have come to a decision.

We're going to go with Tomas, his sprite is smoothly animated and the secondary animation of the eye is quite nice.

While I did not state that you had to resize the image to fit on a GBA screen, I'm glad some people did it! Though it didn't add or take away from your sprite if you had/hadn't.

So congratulations Tomas, we look forward to working with you, please see Reggie at the front desk and he will issue you your passcard and show you to your desk.

Everyone else, maybe next time we come looking for new hires we'll pick you! Thank you all so much for entering.

Eric Colossal
VP Colossal Industries

Tomas

Ooh nice, I'm glad you liked my entry. This is almost as satisfying as Sweden's gold in the mens olympic hockey tournament. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk