AGS Questionaire!

Started by kristofski, Sun 26/02/2006 17:48:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Name: Stuart Forbes

Female/male:Male

1. How long have you been involved in the AGS community?
About a week

2. Why did you get involved in AGS?
I've been playing some free adventure games lately so it was inevitable I'd come accross this site and it inspired me to have a bash at making my own one.... I'm pretty pleased with the progress I'm making on my first project.

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware programme affect the community that has built up around it?
I'm amazed that this is freeware, and I'm happy.  Many people would pay to use software like this... but as you say there is a great community here and I hope to make some new friends here over the coming weeks.

4. How big a part does the AGS community play in your life?
Not much as yet, but that will increase the further I get into making my game.

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? Only the one I'm working on at the moment... I haven't officially announced it yet, as I have no real screenshots, but I'll give you a sneak preview of it's title..... <sub>A Window Cleaner's Apprentice</sub>

6. Answer these questions if you have been involved in making AGS games:

a. Were you interested in game design/programming before you started using AGS? yeh, bit of elementary programming with DarkBASIC, but never really made anything substantial.

b. If no, do you feel that you would have got into game design without AGS?
It's something I've always liked the idea of, but maybe this will be the true springboard I've ben waiting to find.

c. Do you make games using other programmes, either freeware or not? How does the eperience differ?
DarkBASIC is completely different in that the scripting is number one... i mean it's important here, too if you want to make a decent game, but at least here you can use the interface and point and click for your results... Also Darkbasic is mainly for 3D games, unfortunatley I can't get my head round the 3D scripting, and I prefer 2D games anyway... call me old fashioned.

d. Has AGS inspired you to try and take up game design professionally?
Woah, there leslie.. one step at a time... I always wanted to be a pro games designer as a kid, but lack of artistic skill and a not enough programming practice has led me to this point in my life... 23 years old, still haven't got a clue what to do with my life... if I realsie I'm quite good at this I might try and pursue a career in the field, but I'm allergic to grass.

7. Do you feel that there is a gender divide in the AGS community?
This area will always be ,ale dominated, but I've een pleased to see one or two females here... (at tleast they say they are, cant trust anyone on the net these days though, can ya).

8. Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover it's made by a female? In what way?
I might think, cool, this was made by a female, respect.  But really, its not like theres much difference.... its not a breast-feeding contest its adventure gaming.

9. Do you feel that AGS makes it easier for females to get involved in computer game design? In what way?
I think AGS makes it easier for ANYONE to get into game design, so yeh.

10. Do you feel that there is a difference between the types of games created by males and females?
I'm not sure If i've played any by a female yet, but I'll be sure to look one up and I'll report back with my verdict.

11. Any other comments? Happy new year everyone... (i know it's a little late)

Ponch

Name: Ponch

Female/male: Male

Three years

Friend of mine had a copy of the engine on their computer. I played around with it and decided to start making games with it.

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware program affect the community that has built up around it?

Very much so -- freeware always seems to collect a motley and devoted following. There is a certain something about a product that depends heavily on its user base for development and growth that seems to inspire a passion amongst its users.

I check the forums about once a week or thereabouts. I used to visit here more often, but free time isn't what it used to be these days.

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? You may list them if you want

I've made about a dozen games using AGS. Four of them have been released upon the world.

a. Were you interested in game design/programming before you started using AGS?

Yes. I used to make text adventure games years ago. I also made scrolling arcade games for the Amiga. These days I just use AGS and Game Maker.

I was already making games before AGS --- AGS just made making them easier.

c. Do you make games using other programmes, either freeware or not? How does the eperience differ?

AGS is more user friendly and has better support both from its creator and its community than any other engine I have tried in the past.

Nah, I already have a career. Game making is just a hobby.

Never really paid a lot of attention to it. I know there are several women here and some of them are quite active in the community with activities like "Release Something" and the like.

8. Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover it's made by a female? In what way?

Nah.  A good game is a good game. The plumbing of the designer has nothing to do with it.

9. Do you feel that AGS makes it easier for females to get involved in computer game design? In what way?

AGS makes it easier for anyone to make games. Plumbing is not a factor.

10. Do you feel that there is a difference between the types of games created by males and females?

Nah.

11. Any other comments?

There is no beer in my fridge and I am sad.

Akatosh

Name: Akatosh  ;D

Since about spring 2005.

I played these strange games named 7 Days a Skeptic, Apprentice I and Apprentice II (how I got to them? See that other thread). All three mentioned a strange "AGS" thing in their credits, and I went checking. I quickly discovered the Adventure Gaming Studio was just the thing for me.

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware program affect the community that has built up around it?

I doubt there would be a that great and big community if AGS wasn't freeware.

Well, making games is one of my biggest hobbies, and during holidays I visit the AGS boards up to multiple times a day.

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? You may list them if you want

Koffee Krisis - Episode I, Kristmas Krisis, _Access (being done), Ninja (will never be shown to the world), ThinkTank (same there), BBIC (currently paused).

Yup. C++. Borland C++ builder.

I don't think I would have gone on with making games without AGS. Before I discovered it I didn't finish a game in 6 months and had several bug-ridden bad game attemps lying around (some of them still are).

c. Do you make games using other programmes, either freeware or not? How does the experience differ?

AGS is great because it actually is dedicated to games.

Yup. I actually entered KristmasKrisis in the Gamesload newcomer award... and got 4th  :P

If I paid attention to that, I'd probably be able to answer that question.

Why should I?

No idea.

Not in Freeware games... but if you look at the game industry you'll notice some differences. You'll never be able to tell if the designer was male or female, but in retrospect (how do you write that ???) and with the knowledge (geez, why do I always want to write knowdoledge?) about the designer's gender you will probably notice some small detail differences.

11. Any other comments?

School starts again on Monday  :'(

auriond

Name: auriond

Female/male: female

Not very... since November 2006.

I just suddenly had this idea for one of my characters, and it seemed very suitable for a point and click game.

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware programme affect the community that has built up around it?

If I hadn't started making a game, I wouldn't have even discovered this great community as I tend to just download AGS games without playing them. That said... ok to answer the question, I guess the community would be nowhere as dynamic if AGS was a commercial program.

I'm stuck here almost all the time I'm online, learning, learning, learning. :)

Just The Marionette... and probably that will be the only game I'll ever make, too.

Yes - programming, though not game design. I learned that only when I started TM.

Nope.

Never tried...

Puzzle design is far too difficult for me, who is basically a storyteller... so no.

Hah! There is a gender divide in almost all the gaming communities I've visited or belonged to. Yes, there is.

Not much... though I'd probably think "Good for you!" to the game's author.

I'm really not sure... I don't even know whether females find it easier to do things like programming and stuff. All I know is that I like it, and I do pretty well at it compared to my peers.

I think so, but mostly in terms of storyline. I haven't played enough games to compare puzzles.

11. Any other comments?

I'm tired :( and I want more time to work on my gaaaaame.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ah well, nothing to do...

Name: Pedro Pires

Age: 20 as of now. Ask again in a couple of months and it'll be 21. Ask again 5 years from now and... do yer own math.

Female/male: I'd like a female, please. Definitely male.

My profile says I registered 26 January 2003, and I count that as the day I started posting around here - does that count?

Because I love adventure games, and because I love telling stories, and I thought it would be wonderful to make my own adventure game - and I found AGS after much searching.

I feel it has helped the community grow and evolve beyond measure. Free = more people are around it. Accourse, the fact that it's a very friendly community that has some very good mods also helps.

At the moment, a very little part, actually. When I turn my peecy on, it's a major part of my life, but when I'm outdoors, it matters very little to me. I don't even know any of these people - and mind, there's many people here I admire!

Only my LSL2 remake.

Yeah. I once wanted to write IF. No need to draw. :)

I've tried other programmes, all freeware. I've found AGS is the best for me. I can do everything I want in AGS, including things it wasn't really meant to. Why, I've even made a text parser engine in AGS - which allows me to write IF in AGS instead of looking elsewhere. AGS is a wonderful tool.

Once upon a time, yeah. Then I got realistic, and took my dreams elsewhere.

Say what? No, not at all. If anything, I feel there *isn't* gender in this community, or colour, or religion, or sexual preference. We're all people, and that's it. If anything, I feel there's many age groups here.

Well, I'm likely to be pleased. Despite what I said before, I think women are wonderful beings and I like to be reminded that they exist in this community too. :)

Again, I don't feel there's any real differentiation in gender here in this community. If this doesn't help, by effectively doing away with any and all discrimination, I don't know what does.

Yes, the same way there's a "masculine" and "feminine" way of doing things. The masc. one is usually more straightforward, sometimes blunt. The femin. one is usually a bit rounder, a bit more sensitive.

If anyone thinks this is gibberish, I think this applies to everything, and I can cite examples to be found on my area of "expertise" - singing. There's masculine and feminine ways to sing, you know, and they don't always match the artist's gender.

11. Any other comments?
Yeah. This questionaire was a nice idea, but why the heck did it focus so much on the gender issues?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

auriond

The questionnaire was started by someone doing a survey for a study he was doing, so I guess he was studying gender differences in gaming or game-making - or some such. :)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Wow, 4 pages of all sorts of comments and I get to be the lucky one whose comment is commented on! JOY! :D
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

KittenInPyjamas

Name:
Ellie
Female/male:
Female
For a few months now.
At first I loved the games. Then, I loved the community.
A lot. At least for me, the fact that I didn't need to pay anything for it attracked my attention at first.
A very big one. Although I rarely post, I come in every day either to look for downloading games or simply to read the forums.
Unfortunately not, although I would DIE. I have a few ideas, but I don't know anything about programming. I can draw nicely, but not in MS Paint!

Not at all, and I never even thought about that.
Not at all. I can't tell the difference.
It makes it easier for any person who 1) enjoys adventure games, 2) has basic knowledge of programming, 3) has imagination and  zest, and 4) likes sharing.
No. Actually, three out of ten of the questions are about girls. I really can't see the point!  ???
11. Any other comments?
I really hope people never stop making games with AGS even if technology gets much much better.

Charity

Name: Charles Moor

Been lurking on and off since early 02.  So about five and a half years?

I've wanted to make games since I started playing them.  I found out about AGS through Home of the Underdogs and had to check it out.

Free things are more accessible, so the community is more accessible.  I guess?  I know I probably wouldn't have paid for the AGS back when I first found it.

Not a big part.  Although my brother and I still occasionally quote the AGS Show at eachother.  I mostly just browse the forums to amass information about the scripting language and keep up to date on forthcoming games.

Not any completed games.  I did make a movie based on a conversation in an unrelated IRC channel, a couple years ago.  It was somewhat of a success there, but I figured it was too injokish to post here.

Yes, at least since I was nine or ten.

I was already involved with game design, and I probably would have stuck with the idea, at least.  No saying whether or not I would have completed anything.

I tinkered with The Games Factory, Q-Basic, and the Playstation edition of RPG Maker.  I never got far enough with Q-Basic to make anything.  RPG Maker was clunky and kind of limiting.  The Games Factory was pretty powerful, and I made a couple simple games with it, but I think I prefer scripting in AGS to the more visual style.  It might be worth looking into again, if I still have it.

Right now, I don't want to join the game industry.  As to whether I'll ever want to sell a game I make as a hobby, I don't know.

I think there are more males than females.  Is that a divide?

Perhaps I am nominally more receptive?  Ew.

Not females specifically.

If so, it's not as big as the overall person to person difference.

11. Any other comments?
Pass.

Sylvr

Name:
SilverTrumpet

Female/male:
Female

Since 21 Jun 2006, 08:57. Well that's a partial lie. I left for a good long time rather randomly. And as of very recently, I have returned.

Well, I first found this, I think when I was missing my King's Quest games and wanted to see if there were any other games like this. With a little help from Google, I found AGS. I immediately downloaded the program, then checked out some other games on here, and then checked out the forum. I guess the bottom line is that I was bored one fateful day.

I think that the community is larger cause the program is free :D

I used to check out the forums every day, especially when I was still trying to make games... then that faded. And I recently decided to check it out again. Chances are it will play as nearly a big part. But not quite.

Nothing serious at all. [strike]One was a complete joke[/strike] Nothing serious at all, two are on here for everyone to wonder at. J&D actually had some thought put in (because the game content was significant to me), and I learned a lot. I was working on another one for a long-ish while, but when I moved out for school I think all the files were lost, come to think of it. :( But I've never worked with another AGSer on one, which I might like to.

Nope, just playing. I always liked tinkering with programming, but I never thought to use it for an adventure game, really.

Very likely not, since I would have no idea how.

Nope.

Haha nope. I'm definately not talented that way enough for that.

It's mostly male? How's that?

Perhaps.... I guess I don't expect it to have as much violence (only applicable before I play, I suppose)

Not particularly, but I think it makes it easier for everyone in general.

See question 8?

11. Any other comments?
Sometimes the almighty Blue Cup comes to me in visions.
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

vertigoaddict

Name: Vertigo Addict (my real name initials are M.I.B.H.I, you get the point?)

Female/male: male

I don't really remember, a couple of months?

Because I wanted to make a point and click game.

It feels great, a great thriving community where everyone is unique in their own way.

It keeps me sane and it helps me cope.

My games are still in progress, I beta tested 'Jacob' and am helping someone with backgrounds.

yes

yes, there are other Game designing programmes out there which are free.

AGS is friendlier

I wouldn't say professionally, but if you meant as a job, yes.

In here we are all god's children  ::)

You go girl!

It doesn't depend on gender, it depends on the person.

no

11. Any other comments?

No other comments

CosmoQueen

Name: SN: CosmoQueen Real:Yolonda or Yoli

Female/male: Female

About three years.

I'm in love with adventure games and this is the best place out there for it.

I don't think it affects it at all. I think it's very honorable that there are people who are more in it for the love of games than just to make money.

Pretty big, playing games is one the joys in my life.

Well I only beta-tested "Cayanne Pepper" and "Shoot My Valentine".

Well I am interested but just haven't really put much effort into trying to make a game.

Well if I was into game design, the answer would be no.

Nope

Oh yes, I'd really like to give that a try someday.

Not at all.

Not really, but considering that I am a girl I would feel a bit more proud :)

AGS makes it easier for EVERYONE equally.

No, gender doesn't matter. It just depends on each individual.

11. Any other comments?
Nopers :D
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

Dualnames

Name: Jim Spanos

Since November 2006

I wanted to make my own adventure game ever since I played Monkey Island.

Lucky.

Nowadays pretty much

Yes. Don;t want to list them.

I fooled around with Klik n Play for a little bit

c. Do you make games using other programmes, either freeware or not? How does the experience differ?
Nope.

In theory it's a nice idea, but I wouldn't really want to do it for a living.

There's definitely more males,

Yes.i don;t try to but it happens. You don't wanna hear.

It's just computer based for males by stereotypes.

I don't think so.

11. Any other comments?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Questionable

Screenname: Questionable
Real: Adrick

Good question. Technically a couple of months; although I was a lurker and I've been messing with AGS for almsot a year now.

After experimenting with AGS, I found that it was a perfect outlet for the stories I write and a good way to spend my spare time when I was stuck at home recovering from an auto accident.

Pay products will generally have a smaller following over free products when the quality of content is identical. If there was a competitor to AGS and the features were identical, would you buy it? Only if you were ignorant to AGS existence. I believe that the fact AGS is free allows this community the flexability to grow and wane without affecting the product, as well. If a pay product does not have a significant enough following the prouct will be abandoned or forced to change.

I'm not sure how this can be quantified, but creating narratives and engaging gameplay and art has soaked up may hours of my times so far and I don't regret and minute of it, I suppose it plays THAT big of a part! =P

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS?
None that have been played by anyone on here.

I'm attending a Design College currently with a focus on Game Art and Animation. But programming? That's too technical for me.

---

I haven't used anything else to make compose a game, although I use many tools to make a game with AGS.

Perhaps, it depends on life more than AGS, though.

No.

No.

I believe it simplies it for both genders.

I think that the personality of the individual is probably more influential than the gender of the person.

11. Any other comments?
No.
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

SinSin

Name:
  Anthony Simpson

Female/male:
Male

since april 05

Coz i wanted to make adventure games too

I think that because of it being freeware more people have joined as there is no hassle to buy

Not a huge part but i keep coming back

Yes

Yes
Mmm no
Nope
Yes
Nope although there female members are outnumbered pretty heavily
Nah
Only in female voice acting
Yes girls seem to stick at it for longer
11. Any other comments?
Why on eart have i just filled this out two years after the launch    LOL
Currently working on a project!

Jon

Name:
  Jon Taylor

Female/male:
Male

About a year and a half.

Free games!

I think that it has probably made it more popular

Its all I think about

I have helped make every game

No
No
No
lol
Yes, I often get sexist slurs shouted at me
No, in no way
Yes, easy to use
Yes, all games made by women are full of the colour pink and fluffy bunnys No  ;)
11. Any other comments?
What's with all the questions about women?

Ren

Name:Anonymus

About 2 years...

I wanned to make games.

Good.

I'm just tinkering with it im my spare time.

Not yet.

No

8. Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover itâ€â,,¢s made by a female? In what way?

No but i think i could tell by the game itself.

Yes. Sprites, SFX, (maybe) code goes in, game goes out.

Yes, but it can't be discribed by words.

11. Any other comments?

What purpose does this questionaire holds?
and then there will be cake...

monkey0506

Name: Michael "monkey_05_06" Rittenhouse

1. How long have you been involved in the AGS community? About four and a half years as of this writing.

2. Why did you get involved in AGS? Monkey Island. I wanted to make games like Monkey Island, and AGS could help me do it. I never did make the games clearly...but it got me a strong background in programming.

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware programme affect the community that has built up around it? I definitely think that if AGS was a commercial program the community would be a very different one. We may have the same general size population, but the type of people here would be very different I think. I think it would be a tighter community with a lot fewer joke games. Not many people would pay for a program just to play around with it.

4. How big a part does the AGS community play in your life? I'm like a troll who's been here too long to get rid of. Sure I've contributed a few things, but even trolls slip up once in a while and accidentally produce something of value! :=

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? You may list them if you want. I've only made joke games myself, but I've been told my modules may have been used in some other games.

a. Were you interested in game design/programming before you started using AGS? Yes very much so. I used to annoy my older brother because at the time he knew more about computers than I did. Since he's moved on to other ventures. Not me though! My first program was written for my TI-83 Plus graphing calculator, which has a BASIC-style language, and calculated the missing value from Y=MX+B for any given 3 values.

b. If no, do you feel that you would have got into game design without AGS? My dream has always been game design. AGS has simply been an amazing tool to teach me basic programming and game development principles which will hopefully assist one day in a career.

c. Do you make games using other programmes, either freeware or not? How does the eperience differ? I have used other programs before and the thing that hooked me was that AGS was the easiest and most powerful. There are engines out there that are easier, and there are engines out there that are more powerful, but IMO AGS has the best balance between the two.

d. Has AGS inspired you to try and take up game design professionally? As I said, game development is what I aspire to do anyway, so I wouldn't say it's inspired me as much, as to help me learn things which will make it easier when I can afford to get into school.

7. Do you feel that there is a gender divide in the AGS community? Do I feel there's a gender divide? No. There is one clearly. I know there's a gender divide. Do I feel that the divide is entirely due to the manliness of the forums, site, and the program? No. I think that statistically speaking, men show more interest in games and game development than women do.

8. Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover it's made by a female? In what way? Clearly if it's made by a female it will be more sexier, but less awesome.

9. Do you feel that AGS makes it easier for females to get involved in computer game design? In what way? As stated by those before me...AGS makes it easier for everyone!

10. Do you feel that there is a difference between the types of games created by males and females? Same as I stated before.

11. Any other comments? Yes.

Buckethead

Thought I would fill this out:

Name:

Sander 'Buckethead' de laat

17 almost 18

Female/male:

Male

About 2 years now I think

several years ago I was reading this magezine called "Computer idee". It had a page where each week they would pick some freeware programs or games and would display them there. AGS was on that page together with a game that was made with it. As I was a fan of adventure games and interested in game design I checked it out.  And here I am!

It makes everything nice and open. Everyone can give it a try and I think that has led some talented people to the community.

Pretty big. I usually check the forums atleast once a day. And since I've been getting more serious in making a game and since the stickam room it's just getting bigger and bigger.

I've made a silly joke game and a game for the MAGS. Currently I'm working on a game that is a bit more serious.

Yes, I have been into making levels for UT and Half life for quite a while now that really got me into game the design. I never been much of a programmer though. That is a thing AGS got me into.

-

I have tried making a small game for the Unreal engine once. This didn't work out as I'm not enough of a programmer.

Not really. It is something I wanted to do before I got into AGS.

There seem to be very little females on the forums. But they fit in with the guys very well. So they are not really devided from the male part of the community.

I don't care at all.

I think AGS makes it easier for everyone. So that includes females. AGS just has alot of documentation and a really helpfull community. And it's pretty easy in use in general.

Not really. Although it's hard to tell as there hasn't been that many game made by females

11. Any other comments?

Nope, I always dislike this question lol

Emerald

I find it hard to believe that anyone cares about any of these answers... It always strikes me as a cheap way to get noticed. Few people can resist the urge to list their opinions on a form if they believe someone will read it -- usually it wont be. Even if they didn't make up that vague report, who's going to sit there and read pages and pages of basically the same thing ("I like making games and I'm not sexist")?
In fact, most surveys are done for the sole purpose of being able to say "we did a survey," for whatever reason. They're never particularly reliable -- especially when posted up in front of everyone. After seeing that every other person in the community thinks a certain way, who's going to be honest about their feelings?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk