AGS Questionaire!

Started by kristofski, Sun 26/02/2006 17:48:53

Previous topic - Next topic

paolo

Good point, Emerald. Given that nothing is being done with these answers (they aren't being used to improve AGS or this site and they aren't being collated and published in a peer-reviewed sociological article on gamers), and I doubt that anyone is really interested in what people are saying here, I have to ask, what is the point of this thread except to perpetuate itself?

Ah, I've just read the original posting. It was for an essay, but that was in February 2006, so no doubt the essay has long since been written and so continuing to answer the survey serves no useful purpose.

radiowaves

Name: Taavi Viikman

Female/male: Male

1. How long have you been involved in the AGS community?

Ugh, some two or three years maybe? Don't know exactly, been on and off from the forums.

2. Why did you get involved in AGS?

Through a friends project, he needed help with graphics.

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware programme affect the community that has built up around it?

Its a new step to free society. But ofcourse, this nifty freeware programme allows people to try out game making. people can now see if they are suitable for it or not, they don't have to pay 300 bucks anymore to buy some engine or game creating environment. Now everyone can try.

4. How big a part does the AGS community play in your life?

I don't know. There aren't actually very many people I know, here... Community itself is very very small part, but projects take some time away, yes

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? You may list them if you want

I am currently working on 3 projects. My first AGS experience was with the 2My little real life adventure" which is now abandoned.

6. Answer these questions if you have been involved in making AGS games:

a. Were you interested in game design/programming before you started using AGS?

Definately yes. I gathered up with a programmer several times to make a game. But all the times project died. Now I have several engines laying around without source code.

b. If no, do you feel that you would have got into game design without AGS?

I know I answered yes to previous question, but AGS has definately improved my game designing ability since with this I have gotten further into game design.

c. Do you make games using other programmes, either freeware or not? How does the eperience differ?
Currently no. I have always wanted to try out flash though.

d. Has AGS inspired you to try and take up game design professionally?

Yes, i have thought about it, but in that case I have to finish something big first, which probably involves lots of time and money.

7. Do you feel that there is a gender divide in the AGS community?

No, not exactly. However, I think boys and girls do make different games. Boys like to experiment more, for example, girls just take it more easier.

8. Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover it's made by a female? In what way?

I don't know. Probably not. Why? I fould feel different if it were super awesome game, though.

9. Do you feel that AGS makes it easier for females to get involved in computer game design? In what way?

Probably yes. It makes it easier for them as it makes it easier to everybody else.

10. Do you feel that there is a difference between the types of games created by males and females?

I answered that question in 7'th question.

11. Any other comments?

No.

I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

Joseph DiPerla

Name:

(1. How long have you been involved in the AGS community? )

----Since 1998, around september I think.

(2. Why did you get involved in AGS?)
------I love Adventure games. Particularly the older Lucasarts games. My favorite was and still is Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. I played that on My Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 all the time. It was actually the first game I ever played. I wanted to create my own Zak sequel since I was like 12(Or somewhere around there). I was really hoping LEC would, but they never did, and so I searched and searched for and Adventure writer and I found Adventure Creator.

(3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware programme affect the community that has built up around it?)
----------I think its the greatest thing ever. I have never seen so many games developed off one engine. I feel its absolutely awesome and kind. It really helps push adventure games back into the market of game playing. The only thing I think that is a drawback to being free is that many professional developers will think its buggy and not worth a try, so they use other engines because of it. But maybe I am wrong.

(4. How big a part does the AGS community play in your life?)
---------I try not to involve myself with Online Communities too much do to dangers with the internet. So it plays a role. I have known many great people for years here. But apart from gaming and the internet, I have a life and a wife to take care of, and possibly children in the future. So, its a significant role, but not on top of my priorities list.

(5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? You may list them if you want)
-----------Lets see... I have helped in translating The new adventures of Zak McKracken into Italian. I beta-tested for the Shadows of the Empire game. I worked and abandoned a Zak McKracken/DOTT 2 crossover sequel game. I was on a team developing DOTT 2 that died away. I helped in the past on working on Demo-Quest. But my three main projects are The Simpsons Game Template, and two games that are coming out from it: Where's Maggie and Springfield Woes. I hope to one day finish a game.

(6. Answer these questions if you have been involved in making AGS games:)
   --Yes

--Yes
c. Do you make games using other programmes, either freeware or not? How does the eperience differ?
   --I try to make games using Visual Basic 6. They are semi Graphical, Text games that interact with MMORPG's. More specifically one for Star Wars and another for the Transformers.
   --Yes, although its just a dream and a wish and probably wont ever happen.

(7. Do you feel that there is a gender divide in the AGS community?)
-------------Absolutely not. I still remember how much of an effect Erica McLane had on this community.

(8. Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover it's made by a female? In what way?)
-------------No WAY! They might make better games than men!

(9. Do you feel that AGS makes it easier for females to get involved in computer game design? In what way?)
------------I think it does for everyone. Its freeware with a large community and support. It makes things easier for all of us.

(10. Do you feel that there is a difference between the types of games created by males and females?)
----------------No, not really.

11. Any other comments?
--------------AGS is a great tool. Its the best thing to happen to Adventure gaming and its a great contribution that Ron Gilbert, Al Low, David Fox and any other legendary engine and game developers of the genre would really appreciate. I hope to one day finish an AGS game.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

ma2003

Name:

Forum Name = Ma2003
Real Name = Winston Iti

I have been involved with the community for a mere month and a half.

I've been trying to design games for almost for a while now. With a bit of graphics background, I started with Macromedia Flash, then moved on to Unreal Modding, then Half-life Modding, and then stop for a little while with game designing. I did not complete any mods with any of the game engines. Then about two months ago, I found 7 days a skeptic. I didn't play it, but it made me interested on how it was made and produced. So I found the AGS website. I found this site very useful.

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware programme affect the community that has built up around it?

Freeware helps a lot of people like myself, who can't afford complicated software to create a game all by myself. Also, Freeware gives a sense of honor to me knowing that AGS was released via freeware for a reason. 

I've only been a part of the AGS community for a little bit more than a month. But my

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? You may list them if you want:

Yes, I'm working on a Adventure/Stealth/RPG game where a boy named Bobby must purchase some milk for his mother. It turns out, the shops and stores are closed because of a large earthquake, also other shops in different towns are also closed. Bobby will venture into different towns trying to find atleast one store, while dodging and sneaking past bullies, strangers and aliens(?). Bobby's quest will involve him trying to find a milk bottle while at the same time, solve the mystery of the earthquake.

Yes, I was interested. Mainly the design part, programming has never been my cup of tea.

The experience differs alot. One, its easier to use. Two, graphics are mostly 2D, so someone with a illustration background or 2D animation background will find things a bit easier than say, creating character models for Half-life 2.

No. I have other things for the future. Maybe in the future, when I'm rich, and able to hire coders, modellers and etc.

Umm, no. I wouldn't like to think so. It is true that males play video games more than females, but that doesn't mean gaming is a male community only. I don't think that applies to this community either, especially when Adventure Games and AGS can appeal to anyone, whether male or female.

8. Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover it's made by a female? In what way?

No way. Although I'd probably say, "Awesome, the males aren't the only ones making games." Maybe I think that the game might have a sense of dignity or grace.

9. Do you feel that AGS makes it easier for females to get involved in computer game design? In what way?

Yes. It'll make ANYONE want to join, except for the people that don't want to design, and people that don't play video games. ;D

10. Do you feel that there is a difference between the types of games created by males and females?

No. Maybe a sense of grace and dignity from the females, maybe. No swearing! HAH!

11. Any other comments?

AGS really kicks some serious butt. I'm really enjoying the pace and developing phase with AGS.

guns4party

1.my first day following tutorial real and genuine noob.

first name: N/A

my age?: your gender?

2. i love escape games and always had some ideas but never found a good program but wanted to seriously dedicate my self and umm bordum. And i found AGS on Yahtzee's website and thought, well i have the time what the hell.  i tried a bunch of other crudy freeware that was a limited version of something that cost money. I cant remember the names fill in that blank yourself.

3.Just becouse every one and there mum can dowload AGS doesn mean everyone and there mum will. AGS requires script and you actually have to GASP!! think for yourself. Some people get bored after a while. Especially the people that have 0 scripting experiance and think "I dont need no tutorial"  they get confused and give I'm not saying thats a bad thing what I'm saying is  its just not right for everybody and there mum.

4. Its my first day what do you want me to say? although if it wasnt for my love of all water sport (xept the type of fishing that doesnt involves types of guns) then it would probably have a big impact on me physicly

5.I could of sworn i mentioned this was my first day but yes i am making a very basic escape game so that i can get a feel for  AGS.

6.ok

6a. Yes i have always been intrested in the programming part i dont no why though.

6c. see question 3

7. I dont really care were here for the games right?...ok well i am.

8. see question 7

9. see question 8

10. honestly, if it has breast's in it I'm going to assume its made by a male but if its made by a female,again,breasts therefore,does it matter?

11.see question 1

DazJ

Why are people still answering? lol...interesting reading though :)

Patternjake

Name: Jake Jackson

I registered back in 2007 but I didnt start to get involved until this year

Game creating!

Well i think if it was a pay per app, it wouldnt of had much of a community to begin in the first place, its nice just for a little donation button for appreciation of Chris Jones great work!

Erm i was really into the AGS program itself about 4-5 years ago, but i used it for several months so it did play quite a big role in my life then.

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? You may list them if you want

Yes- I have made three games, 1 has been released already-

-The Mysteries of Stiego Moors 1
-Urban Disaster - I have still to release this once i find my copy of it (long time since i did AGS stuff)
-Mysteries of Stiego Moors 2- A did a very small intro which had parralex scrolling and a touch of 3d to it, Id have to dig this up again.

I was crazy on game design, I was always drawing conceptual artwork with friends, character designing / world designing, and always storywriting. Its really the software programming I aimed my life towards, so the whole gaming thing has gone down recently. I still plan though to get serious with gaming in one point in the future.

I tried using DarkBasic and FPS creator in the past but they werent really my thing. Ive done a few platformers in VB and XNA but other than that, it really isnt my kind of thing.

It did inspire me, and I have always had thoughts about professional game design, but i decided its not the path i wanted to tank. (Hobbies its great for me haha!)

Not really, no. But i feel men express themselves more on any community.

If the game is good, nope.

I suppose it makes it more fun instead of computer geekish.

Erm I think ones created by females tend to be a little more romantic.

11. Any other comments?
Yeah, Chris Jones rocks!
If im not coding, im msn. If im not msn, im gaming.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk