Piratess (update)

Started by magintz, Fri 17/03/2006 18:50:39

Previous topic - Next topic

magintz

The bad news: Yes yes, you heard right! It's finished.

fixed link :)
Now for the worse news: download me (947kb) (updated version at bottom of this post)

Piratess is a game about a female pirate who's had a bad day, she's been captured and is going to be hung for pirating, you need to escape.

And the even worse news: Unfortunatly I never got round to doing exactly what I wanted with this. It was meant to be a medium to long game, but due to me losing interest on yet another project and also due to my very limited time I've had to stop working on this. Unlike my other projects that have remained in a dark corner of my hard-drive, or been lost to the ages. I have spent the past 2 or 3 days running through it fixing any bugs and spelling / grammar I came across. I sorted out the game so it has some form of an ending, if you can call it that, and released it.

The project actually started out as a test of the LEC style GUI, and I really liked how it worked so I began to make it into a game. I made up a story and began to make it, and now here we are.

This is in it's entirity and is 100% finished (woohoo, I beat m0ds to the mark of releasing something before him).

Enjoy :D

Edit:
removed pressing '.' to skip text and will now allow mouse clicks, changed the ending to please ProgZ, and added some small fixes here and there. Saved game included so you can see the new ending without replaying the whole thing

Piratess (alt ending)
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Disco

The worser than the worse worse news: I got a 404  :-\

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

magintz

It's about two-thirds beta tested. Al_Ninio, Hotspot and Petteri ran through the first part, with petteri checking the majority of it. The only bit that hasn't been beta-tested is the last puzzle with the last 2 rooms.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Mordalles

cool! downloading!

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Afflict

Downloaded and have to say theres alot of work still to be done... IOW dont be fooled by the screenie the rest is not that good!  :o

IMHO
Spoiler

the backgrounds suck in eg:

the basement. The door is like about two times characters height if not more! Perspective is not at all used.

The other characters are way oversize...

Credits in middle of game?

The doctors cabin way too much zoom!

The inventory items in basement all black and white??

PUzzles were simple up until where I couldnt escape the cabin after feeding guard soup. Have to obviously find something to wedge window open with altough the pole doesnt work what should i use or get?

I dont even know if the game can be finished?
[close]

My main concern is there were alot of people working on the game, and that you beat mods to it??
Well IMO your game suffered because of this "race"

magintz

lol

it wasn't a race.
I'm not an artist (hence me getting people to help with stuff i physically couldn't do)

it was rushed into release as said in the post above because I got bored making it.

The perspective for the "dream room" was used because it is a dream... of her childhood.... where she is a child... hence the black and white (again this was rushed and tried my best to get the point across).

I tried my hardest with it (apart from the end ship) and obviously you cannot please everyone no matter how much effort you put into things.

I know there is a lot of work to do, but again as stated in my initial post it is as done as it is going to be.

Again retreating back to my first post it was meant to be a test of the LEC template and was only meant to be the first room (screenie), hence the background taking me about 2 weeks to do :P

anyway not sure to be offended or complimented by the fact that you liked the first background :(

Edit
Spoiler
try the sword on the window
[close]

p.s also constructive critisim would be a tad more helpful.

Afflict

Interesting...

Well I guess thats what game making is about these days, i mean look at all the fps clones on the market...

"Hey guys lets make aother SW game"
"ok"
"Well its sorta like the last one"
"but well call it SW-2"
"well actually its the same we just have to redo the graphics and uh change the text"
"umm well re texture them"
"ok"
"2 weeks later man this sucks"
"yeah"
"lets publish it and get a beer"
"ok"

QuoteMeanwhile back at the end user/SW fan

"THIS SUCKS ITS ANOTHER SW-1 CLONE!!!!"
"Yeah no one takes pride in game making anymore"

But before i hijack your thread...

cheerz,
Afflict.

magintz

Joyce

Well I actually enjoyed playing this game, did get a bit confused when the credits came up, I thought that was the end of the game but was happy to find there was more after that and went on to complete it.

magintz

heh, i thought i would try something different with the credits. Hence the game was meant to be medium to long it would be more of an introduction credits sequence, than end credits.

jane

It may need a bit more work but am not finding it ineresting game play - as for easy puzzles, well some may find it easy but I'm stumped -
Spoiler
have oiled the box and got plank, flint, coal, and wood but can't find a way to break hole in wall? [\hide]
[close]

Joyce

Jane

Ask in the thread in hints and tips and I'll answer in there,don't like to use this forum in case somebody tells me off LOL

Mordalles

nice game. although, in future, please make speech skippable!  ;D

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

magintz

hehehe, it's the same as LEC = '.'

I perhaps should have disbaled this or stated :P

sorry

seaduck

The main character and the ship's hold are beautifully drawn. Also there's some really nice music. This could be made into a very good game.

btw: If you try to talk to the hole in the ship side, the game crashesÃ,  ;)

magintz

Heh, from the user feedback it seems maybe I should spend a bit more time on it. Perhaps...

Thanks for the comments, The character was drawn by Yufster and animated by Mr_Frisby. The backgrounds were all done by me, and the music by Petteri.

Afflict

Quote from: Mordalles on Sat 18/03/2006 19:40:04
nice game. although, in future, please make speech skippable!  ;D

Pretty pretty please! This drove me up the wall did I forget to mention it?

scourge

I liked it :) The main thing i liked was the main character, really nicely drawn. The other characters weren't up to par next to her. Sometimes some characters would be huge compared to others like for example
Spoiler

when she gets out of grey room and finds her parents dead, they were massive!
[close]
The backgrounds were good and extremely consistent, and for me consistency is important  ;D
I also got confused with the early credits, is the first part like a intro type phase?
A thing I don't know: Why doesn't any of the sentences have fullstops? Only exclamation an question marks.
A lot of times you would try something and no message would be displayed.
Also you describe everything as 'That's a X' where X = object.  :)

I agree that this game could be easily made into a bigger game with more time spent on it, i'd love to play something like that  :)

Thanks magintz and co.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk