PLUGIN: Snow/Rain 2.02

Started by Scorpiorus, Mon 03/02/2003 18:43:02

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

Well since v2.0 doesnt work with 2.71 or later (and he's using the 2.72 beta) then he's buggered anyway

tiagocorreia

I'm using version 2.72 latest beta. I've downloaded the plugin, yesterday, so I guess I'm using the latest version.

It must be a bug.

SSH

There are links to two different versions of the plugin in the top post, are you sure you got the newest one?

tiagocorreia

Scorpiorus

Quote from: tiagocorreia on Wed 14/06/2006 09:50:01
Before I got this illegal exception, I got an error saying that alleg40.dll has not found.

An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004341A6 ; program pointer is +9016, ACI version 2.72.915, gtags (0,0)

I believe you're using v2.0 then. The latest version of the plugin (v2.02) doesn't even have a link to "alleg40.dll" within its code.

I just tried both versions of the plugin (v2.0 and v.2.02) and I got exactly the same error message with plugin v2.0 running with AGS v2.72 RC1; because that won't work.

So make sure you have the version [2.02] ticked in the Plugin Manager dialog.

The version you need: http://www.geocities.com/scorpiorus82/ags_snowrain202.zip

Quote from: Scorpiorus on Mon 03/02/2003 18:43:02
A word about installation:
The plugin uses Allegro library which I included to zip file. To use the plugin you have to copy file alleg40.dll to your Windows folder. However I strongly recommened copy this file to the COMPILED folder of every game that uses SnowRain plugin because it must be included in the final game pack!

Gilbot, SSH:
I've just realized that may seem rather confusing as of AGS v2.71 (which is now official) and higher; so yeah I'll better remove it.

I also removed the second link to previous version, again to avoid any ambiguity. Still, if anyone needed it, the link is:
Code: ags
http://www.geocities.com/scorpiorus82/ags_snowrain201.zip

tiagocorreia

It works now.

I didn't realized that it didn't work on 800x600. So I'm not able to use it.

SSH

There are various modules for rain/snow effects that do work at 800x600, but they will be sloooow

Janik

May I ask why 800x600 is not supported by your plugin? On my computer, at 640x480 I get framerates > 200, so I would guess that even at 800x600 it would not significantly slow the game down.
Play pen and paper D&D? Then try DM Genie - software for Dungeons and Dragons!

Scorpiorus

That's because 800x600 resolution was recently added in AGS at the time I was writting the plugin. I had Celeron 300A running at 375Mhz and it appeared to be rather slow back then. A mid system was 500-1000Mhz, I think, but still it was a bit too much to require a fast enough computer to play an adventure game using the plugin that otherwise would perfectly run on a 200Mhz system at decent speed.

Anyway, it's not much of a problem for now; may still require to address some issues regarding different room/viewport resolutions at different screen ones, though.

Calin Leafshade

Ive been playing around with the rain plugin and when a room loads the rain always starts to fall after the screen is loaded and so it always looks like its just started to rain.

Is there anyway of making the rain already coming down before the screen fades in?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Wed 07/10/2009 15:29:22
Ive been playing around with the rain plugin and when a room loads the rain always starts to fall after the screen is loaded and so it always looks like its just started to rain.

Is there anyway of making the rain already coming down before the screen fades in?

What about making instant room change and control fade out/in manually, giving rain a moment to "reach the ground"?

Calin Leafshade

It seems the best way to do it is to start the rain at the very start of the game so its always falling and then alter the transparancey of it. Not sure if this makes much of a difference resource wise.

abstauber

Just in case you're using AGS 3, why not using this module:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=36706.0
?

That way your game would also work with the linux port.

Calin Leafshade

While i do like the way that module looks, the character is always on top of the particles.. which looks very odd for rain.

It does have an overlay feature but then transparancy isnt supported.

abstauber

Good point :)

Although the transparency limitation is sort AGS's fault  ::)

TheJBurger

Sorry to dig this up but does anyone have a mirror of version 2.02? The original link is broken.

Calin Leafshade

Romeo

Hi, I really needed a snow plugin...so thanks for your great work

Cheers

Icey

can someone send me this plug-in please

Calin Leafshade

there is a link to a site which hosts the plugin 2 posts up

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk