PLUGIN: Snow/Rain 2.02

Started by Scorpiorus, Mon 03/02/2003 18:43:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Scorpiorus

AGS Snow/Rain plugin 2.02 (original version):

http://americangirlscouts.org/agsresources/AGS%20resources/plugins/ags_snowrain202.zip (supports AGS 3.4.1 - Beta 6 and above; also supports AGS 2.71 and AGS 2.72)

Many thanks to http://americangirlscouts.org/agsresources/ for hosting!

AGS Snow/Rain plugin 3.0.0 ALPHAs (work in progress):

Snow/Rain 3.0.0-ALPHA-2: unavailable at the moment, use v2.02 for now (ONLY supports AGS 3.4.0 - Patch 4, running in Direct3D 9 graphics mode!)

Size: ~2.1 MiB

ORIGINAL VERSION:

Snow/Rain plugin (version 2.02) released.

Update: The version 2.02 has been released. It should solve the problem with the plugin not working with AGS v2.71. This also means it requires AGS v2.71 or above in order to run properly.

I totally rebuilt it so all function names have been changed (sorry). What's new?
- Added rain;
- Improved snow/rain control;
- Added ability to animate snowflakes/raindrops;
- Added ability to set snow/rain transparency (HiColor only);

Note: Since version 2.02 the plugin does NOT require the alleg40.dll library anymore, so you can safely remove it from your game COMPILED folder in case you have upgraded to the latest version.

Some other notes:
You can set the wind speed for the rain but keep in mind that it doesn't rotate raindrop sprites (currently that's not supported), and you then have to change them manually with the srSetRainView() function.

Vel

AJA

Wow... Finally! :D

I can't wait to test it... I'll give you some feedback once I've tested it... :)

-EDIT-

That's great!! Wow, I love it!! :D
I'll definately use this in my game! :D
Great job!!!

canavan

Hi

First, I love the snow rain plugin... very nice looking. Question: When you distribute a finished game (and include the dlls with it,) do you have to specify to the user to put the dlls in his windows folder?

Also, I am interesed in checking out your parallex scrolling plugin also... but the link on the plugins page wont allow me to download it. Do you have another source for the zip?

wOoDz

thats bloody brilliant, and i've got just the spot for it!

woodz ;D

Pumaman

Quote from: canavan on Tue 06/05/2003 12:50:52
First, I love the snow rain plugin... very nice looking. Question: When you distribute a finished game (and include the dlls with it,) do you have to specify to the user to put the dlls in his windows folder?

No, the DLLs just need to be in the game folder.

canavan

Does this only work with high color games, or 256 color also?

Scorpiorus

QuoteFirst, I love the snow rain plugin... very nice looking. Question: When you distribute a finished game (and include the dlls with it,) do you have to specify to the user to put the dlls in his windows folder?

No, the DLLs just need to be in the game folder.
Yep, the rule is simple enough: just keep both dlls in the same folder where the game .exe is.

QuoteDoes this only work with high color games, or 256 color also?
Well, it works for 256 colors game as well. However you wouldn't be able to use transparency effects.

-Cheers

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Wow, this is perfect! And now I get a chance to use that 1337 rain sound effect I've been saving >:)

Pet Terry

Hey great plug-in! One question:

I have this background

and I would like to have raindrops appear only inside the white rectangle. How can I do that? Maybe setting rain baseline?
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Scorpiorus

I am afraid setting baselines do not help. If you set a low baseline just on the bottom white line it'll help a bit. But for left, right and upper lines it won't. The plugin dosn't support walkbehindes because of perfomance reasons. The only way to do what you what is to make four always-on GUIs representing each side of the border as the GUI is the only thing that is drawen over the rain/snow sprites.

-Cheers

AGS Newbie

Amazing Plug-in ! Scorpiorus, any chance this plug-in of yours will be updated to support 800x600 ?

Scorpiorus

Possibly, but keep in mind it could slow down a game a *LOT* (especially with transparencies turned on) so I would recommend you to use 640x480 instead.

Scorpiorus

Quote from: Synthetique on Tue 20/05/2003 15:05:19
can i use it only to be seen in a window..
Actually I think of adding a function allowing resizing and positioning of a window, the snow/rain runs in.

SSH

I was trying to use the plugin to get a snowstorm effect. The trouble is, that for a snowstorm flakes need to start from one side rather than along the top. As it is, I get a snow storm in the top 100 pixels and the stuff underneath is clear...  :(

Unless I've missed something... any chance of adding an option like this?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Petteri already asked for this, but he could work around it better than I will be able to, since I need it for more complex layering.

Could we have it so we can change whether the rain is displayed on top of other things, whether they are GUIs or not? And even if we want the rain to fall over the GUI?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Scorpiorus

I see what you are asking for and I'll implement that layer thingy for the next major release. Thank for the suggestion.

Hobbes

I can't get this plugin to work.

In the past I was able to use this without a problem, but now my AGS does some very weird things...

The raindrops fall, but leave behind a transparant trail which does not disappear.

So, within thirty seconds my entire screen is one big whiteness.

Did this happen to anybody else?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

That'll happen, methinks, unless you're using the most recent version of the plugin.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

GarageGothic

Now that this thread has been dug up again...

I've been playing around with the plugin, and I was wondering if it would be possible to add a "center of gravity" to the plugin. So that raindrops/snowflakes would fall towards a coordinate (on or off screen), instead of straight down, and then disappear when they reached it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk