the farm episode one completed

Started by , Sat 15/04/2006 18:39:11

Previous topic - Next topic

benedict

The farm episode one is now completed and ready to play.

I appreciate that the file size is very big compared to most games made with ags (its 120mb) but it contains alot of video and its quite a big game

here is the link, the file is called setup.zip

http://www.benedictwebb.com/interactive/

it hope you enjoy it!

i k a r i

Wow
It looks amazing..
Downloading right now..
I'll edit this post asap to post some comments.  ;D

My edit wont be the best Im afraid xD, cause Im in a lazy state...

but this game was awesome, thank you  ;D =P
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

vict0r

Why yes it looks absolutely great! How long did it take you to make this? Lovely...

I'll edit the post after i tried it for abit.

Scorpio_Phoenix

Looks great!!
I'll edit and tell you what i think once i've started playing!  ;D

Edit - This seems 2 be taking forever to download....

vict0r

Oh my jolly god!:D This looks really professional! I just started playing (i am still in the "cell") but the intro was enough to make my heart beat faster! And the graphics is awesome!Ã,  But you must excuse me... I have to try this awesome game for a while :D

EDIT: And i had to stop playing it for awhile! I found one small bug, and something awesome! :D
Bug:
Spoiler
When you try to take the balloons, and the dog sneers at you, the guy with the funny name repeats what he said twice
[close]

Awesome thingy:
Spoiler
The CD player! And how it actually opens your cd rom. This might become a problem for people without cd-players tho. The few of them that dont have it
[close]

Mordalles

wow! those are beautiful graphics. i just love the style!  hopefully i will have broadband in about a month, and then ill download it immediately!

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Cees

The link seems to be out of order :-[

nihilyst

The link works for me. You have to download the setup.zip file.

The game looks great, but unfortunately my PC here is not a superhero, so the game is running really slow. I'll play it, when I'm on my home PC again. But what I've seen was awesome.

cheers
nihilyst

Candle

You need to fix the setup file as the installer when done is pointing to the the farm.exe when it should be pointing to the the farm op.exe after I change the link in the short cut it works but I'm getting an error in the intro about some streaming error . I will look into it more and get back to you when I find more if it is on my end or not.
Now I get this when I try to run the game:
Code: ags
---------------------------
Illegal exception
---------------------------
An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00441967 ; program pointer is +1004, ACI version 2.62.772, gtags (203,80)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

(Room 2 script line 33)

splat44

Quote from: vict0r on Sat 15/04/2006 19:30:57
Oh my jolly god!:D This looks really professional! I just started playing (i am still in the "cell") but the intro was enough to make my heart beat faster! And the graphics is awesome!Ã,  But you must excuse me... I have to try this awesome game for a while :D

EDIT: And i had to stop playing it for awhile! I found one small bug, and something awesome! :D
Bug:
Spoiler
When you try to take the balloons, and the dog sneers at you, the guy with the funny name repeats what he said twice
[close]

Awesome thingy:
Spoiler
The CD player! And how it actually opens your cd rom. This might become a problem for people without cd-players tho. The few of them that dont have it
[close]

I have same problems.

By the way GBC,

Game Setting I have:

800x600
Anti-alias selected.

I don't encounter such error.

Candle

sergiocornaga

Well, I have to say playing this game has been a most interesting experience. I particularly like the ways in which it... er... interacts with you. One gripe though- it doesn't seem to be possible to save over save files, or delete old ones for that matter.

lakerz

Yes, the save system seems a bit restricted.

Overall, The Farm kicks some major ass!  I loved this game.  The weirdness was entrancing, the characters very humorous.  Music was excellent, and the graphics simply fantastic.  I love the styling.  That scene near the end was pretty shocking.  ;D  The end was funny as well.

This game is well worth the lengthy download, no doubt.

Sheepisher

Downloaded and had a play of this last night.Ã,  Haven't got very far yet but I do have some comments.

First off, the visuals and sound are awesome.Ã,  I love the grungy, photo manip / collage style of the artwork - it's so original and it creates a wonderfully grim, Orwellian atmosphere, which is complimented by the creepy music-sounds.Ã,  The video inserts are also very cool.

I quite like the appearance and voice of the main character, too - kind of reminds me of Alfred HitchcockÃ,  :)

However, IMO there are some significant problems with the gameplay:

1.Ã,  I'm not fond of the interface.Ã,  This may be my personal preference, but I didn't like having to position my cursor with the mouse, press a key on the keyboard, then click with the mouse ... it seemed a little cumbersome to me.Ã,  I prefer the usual mouse-cycle because it's so convenient.Ã,  It was also irritating not being able to examine objects in my inventory, since this is traditionally a great way to gain more information on the objects you've collected and think about their possible uses.

2.Ã,  The conversations with other characters are rather limited.Ã,  You can't talk to anyone for very long and you don't learn much about anything.Ã,  I understand that you might be attempting to build mystery, but at the moment the character interactions seem very sparse and flat.Ã,  Even if you don't learn much about the Farm, we should be able to have more in-depth conversations with the other inmates, so we can really get involved with the intriguing world you've created.

3.Ã,  The interactive responses quickly became frustrating, because the main character would always respond with "That wouldn't be very productive, would it?" to everything - even suggestions that I thought were quite obvious and logical.

For example:
Spoiler
I tried using the bedsheets to climb out of the window, using the credits in the vending machine and in the automated washing machine ...
[close]

To me, these were all actions that seemed quite obvious and, even if they were wrong, at least merited a specific response rather than a generic one.Ã,  I ended up quitting prematurely because I quickly got frustrated at bumping into the same brick wall.

4.Ã,  Lastly, just a personal quibble:

Spoiler
When I worked out how to open the door to my cell, I spent a very frustrated minute trying to walk through it by clicking on the outside with the cursor.Ã,  I finally realised that I had to "interact" with the door in order to leave.Ã,  This was frustrating because the door was already open - I think it's standard practice in adventure games to be able to walk straight through open doors instead of having to "use" them, so this confused me.Ã,  However, I might be the only one who had this trouble!
[close]

Gosh - this was a very wordy reply.Ã,  Sorry if it seems like I'm being overly negative but I'm just trying to give the most honest and helpful feedback I can.Ã,  I'd love to see this game continued - the central concept is intriguing and the visuals and sound entrancing, and at the moment it's only let down by the gameplay which isn't quite up to par with the rest of it.

Obviously, this is just my opinion and I'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks about the points I've raised!

EDIT: I've got a bit further now, and there's something else I noticed ... in some of the later rooms the perspective is out of line, the main character ends up looking about 3 ft shorter than he should.Ã,  For example:

Spoiler
The door to the abattoir / win-a-fish room.Ã,  When he's inside the room, his head is level with the door window; outside in the corridor, he's about half the size of the door!Ã,  Likewise, if that "win-a-fish" thing is meant to be an arcade game, it's twice as tall as the main character!
[close]

Also, Benedict - I'd just like to add that it's very impressive what you've managed to achieve mostly by yourself, and of course I appreciate how difficult it must be to keep tabs on everything!
"Like a balloon and ... something bad happens!"

1.Ã,  I'm not fond of the interface.Ã,  This may be my personal preference, but I didn't like having to position my cursor with the mouse, press a key on the keyboard, then click with the mouse ... it seemed a little cumbersome to me.Ã,  I prefer the usual mouse-cycle because it's so convenient.Ã,  It was also irritating not being able to examine objects in my inventory, since this is traditionally a great way to gain more information on the objects you've collected and think about their possible uses.

This is my opinion as well and the reason why I gave up.
(even though the game seems to be fantastic), but pressing the mouse and the keys of the keyboard at the same time was much too intricate and really stopped from playing :(

Afflict

Mozesh

Really nice game, the keyboard mouse combination was something different but it didn't annoy me.
Looking forward to episode two!

Pet Terry

Very interesting.

The introduction reminded me of Fallout but the game itself is nothing like that. I was kinda disappointed when I first heard the protagonist's goofy voice, but the acting is good, didn't make me want to turn the voices off.

Cutscenes, graphics, music, awesome.

The interface is great! I'm loving it, very refreshing choice (I don't think I have ever played an adventure game with this kind of interface before) and easy to use. Though I was hoping there would be some way to examine inventory items.

Also yeah, not being able to save over existing saved games is baaaad, and the game could have used some spell checking, too.

But very interesting game you've got here, I haven't played much yet but I'll surely will!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

benedict

hello

i am glad some people are enjoying the farm.

in reply to this post bellow:
When I worked out how to open the door to my cell, I spent a very frustrated minute trying to walk through it by clicking on the outside with the cursor.  I finally realised that I had to "interact" with the door in order to leave.  This was frustrating because the door was already open - I think it's standard practice in adventure games to be able to walk straight through open doors instead of having to "use" them, so this confused me.  However, I might be the only one who had this trouble!

yes your right, i did not think about this at the time and many people have said the same thing, however this only happens once, at the beggining. it will be rectified for the next episode (planned for next year when i have time). this will also allow you to inspect the inventory.

in term of the main characters voice, he was supposed to sound like alfred hitchcock.

As for the interface, i realise most ags games use the mouse cycle but i wanted to do something different and most paople who tested did not find it fustrating. I think maybe its mainly to do with being used to the mouse cycle method.

as for saving games, i did not spend enough time on this, i am sorry its annoying, i appologise for this!

when i have time, i will attempt to fix all these problems, i appreciate being notified, thanks. but please remember i made this pretty much on my own, with a little help with the music.

aside from that i hope people will enjoy the game.

bspeers

My fiance who does not play games and abhors adventures (she was wounded permenantly by KQ6 walking deads) loved the feel of this game.  She still won't play it, but will admire from afar.

I liked it quite a bit from afar as well.  The storytelling is excellent, the animation is surprising, and it manages to be funny and disturbing at the same time.  Which really isn't that big of a feat when I think of my favourite bits of comedy.  But there is a truly experemental short-film feel to the whole thing that is immensely rewarding.

The bad, however, is very bad:

Few interaction messages (has already been mentioned by others) : More of these would not only help flesh out the atmosphere, but would help provide clues where logical guesswork fails.

Poor puzzle design:  Some good puzzles, I like the combination of various bits to solve one puzzle, but in general, little thought has gone into how the player might think, or potentially logical solutions.  Rather, if a lot of thought has gone in, it doesn't show.  For example, there is only one way to get past the dog puzzle (that shouldn't be a spoiler, it's pretty obvious you have to do *something*), but you get at least 3 items that would potentially work (one item does exactly the thing you wanted to do, just in a different context).  There is little logic for how the solution designed actually would work, and while that would be okay in an especially silly game, this game just does not set the tone.
There is also a bottle you need early on and the method you use to get it feels out of character--this again would work well if I felt a cartoonish tone had been established--despite the cartoon drawings, the rest of the tone is very dark.  It's okay to mix tones, but here I found I just ended up solving the puzzle through random clicking.  Even in the cartoon world I didn't see that particular solution working.

Dialogue : Largely missing, as has already been pointed out.  You set up some facinating characters, but they have little to say, and almost nothing useful to the player.

Overall, the writing was great, atmosphere was powerful, and I loved the combination of live acting and cartoons, even the mix of art styles in some rooms.  The last scene was indeed shocking--I expected a shock, and was fooled nonetheless.  There is a fascinating and original plot here and I want to play future episodes .  I anticipate some of the other problems being solved, so I won't rag on them--hopefully we'll see and be able to have longer conversations with the existant characters.

Nicely done, and impressive.
I also really liked my old signature.

Maggie

This might seem a stupid question but I can't play The Farm cos after I've installed it using the set up it says 'can't find the farm.exe' Is there something simple I need to do? I'm not a computer expert.

Mozesh

I just started it via winsetup, then save and run and voila. Or you need to rename some stuff which takes more time.

maggie

I can't open it from winset. It says 'can't launch the farm op.exe file make sure its in the same directory as the set up programme' so I don't know what to do.

Joyce

maggie I didn't have any problems, when I installed it, it put a shortcut on my desktop, I clicked on that and the winsetup came up, i clicked on save and run and the game started.

Czar

Nice.
The interface was different and not really annoying. It got me thinking about Grim Fandango. Also the bacground style reminded me a lot of GF, which is great, and i dont have to really explain the originality of it.
Looking forward to a sequel.

Peace.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Scorpio_Phoenix

when you get to the cd player bit....i dont know what to do, i cant seem to do anything!

Krysis

Quote from: Scorpio_Phoenix on Tue 18/04/2006 13:12:23
when you get to the cd player bit....i dont know what to do, i cant seem to do anything!
Spoiler
You put a CD in it... I just hope you have a CD-ROM
[close]

Scorpio_Phoenix

i do, and i did, and i tried pressing all the buttons. nothing works!
whos stupid idea was it to put this in the game, i am not amused!! lol

Hammerite

does one of the moments in this involve opening your CD-ROM disk tray and if so...

why?
[/shadow][/glow][/b]

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Scorpio_Phoenix

The guy tells you 2 put on some music....and then your cd-rom opens and i've tried putting different cd's in and nothing happens, it just seems to stop. and u cant get away from it.....the cd player comes up on the screen with 3 buttons to press, stop, play and eject i think, u cant get off the screen, so basically if u cant do it...your f**ked.

Joyce

Thats strange that it won't work for you, I put a music cd in, pressed the play button on the cd player on the screen and my cd played and the guy says he likes that music

vict0r

It worked perfectly for me. Did you put in a music cd?

Scorpio_Phoenix

vict0r

Okee Dokee. Then i dunno what you did wrong. But the game did fuck with my comp. After the elevator cutscene the sound started fuzzing and after a while the sound just stopped. Not only in the game, but on the entire computer.

- vict0r

splat44

Quote from: Scorpio_Phoenix on Tue 18/04/2006 19:37:42
yes i did.....

Ok, CD thing did work for me.

What I did was press eject (from game)
enter CD and press Eject (game) and play button.

Everything should work. Maybe your problem is probably did tried press eject button from your actual CD.

Try again but with touching those button on your physical CD drive.

Anyways, the creator should have warned us about the CD thing!

Kaelem Gaen

Okay... so Now I've played a bit of the game... very impressed with the movies but I'm running into a problem I ran into on another game with a very fancy Custom Save  window thing...  Now maybe it is my system or maybe I'm doin soimething wrong... but I can't seem to overwrite my games I saved before hand.   I have to constantly make a new Save file... anyone else run into this problem in this game? Or am I some type of standout unlucky type?

EDIT:
Nevermind... I see someone else pointed it out.  but the rest of what I said goes... the game is looking great but I'm only in the first room.
~ Chaos, panic, disorder...  My work is done here. ~

.Sklate.

Just downloaded the game this afternoon, and I've completed it.

First of all, I would like to say great effort! I find the music suitably matching to the game's somewhat spooky and eerie atmosphere. The cutscenes were nicely done, and gave the game a sense of depth in terms of story-telling. The introduction, as the others say, is a huge plus point - it was a huge factor in making me drawn to the game.

Secondly, the artwork. Artwork has a unique style, and backgrounds had nice lighting and shadows that added to the game's dimension. However, I felt that the art took a slight dip as one progresses through the game. The initial cell-room was very nicely done, but I felt that the few rooms that you come across later weren't as polished. Also, another thing is to do with the NPCs, they seem to be all drawn without a similar style to them, if you get what I mean.

I believe the game can be really made unique if the style is kept consistent. Or perhaps, this was intended to contribute to the somewhat "weirdness" of the game's nature.

Thirdly, the interface was interesting, but like what others have noted, can be cumbersome to have to use both your keyboard and your mouse in order to play the game. I understand that using "right-click" to cycle through actions would disable the inventory system, but since you already have the "scroll-button" to serve that purpose, it shouldn't be a problem.

A point to take note of, once you launch the inventory using the "right-click", you aren't able to cycle through the items with the "scroll-button".

I think other bugs and suggestions to improve them have already been mentioned, so I won't touch on them.

Lastly, I just wanted to say that despite the bugs and critique on art style, The Farm Episode One was very well done, and has a story that would make you drawn to it. Good job!  ;D

jane

Theres not many times when I get really angry with games, but this is one - what a stupid idea putting the CD thing into the game without the option of skipping it - the least you could have done is warn us before spending all that time that you will need a CD player (I do have one but its currently in need of repair)

Absolutely gutted it looked a really good game  :(

.Sklate.

Quote from: jane on Wed 19/04/2006 10:09:30
Theres not many times when I get really angry with games, but this is one - what a stupid idea putting the CD thing into the game without the option of skipping it - the least you could have done is warn us before spending all that time that you will need a CD player (I do have one but its currently in need of repair)

Absolutely gutted it looked a really good game  :(

Jane here is some info regarding the CD.

Spoiler
You do not have to put in the Cd or anything. You can totally bypass talking to the guy and talking about music.
[close]

themom

Loved the game, the story line & especially the ending.

jane

Oo thanks mate!  I take back what I said  ;)

Nlogax

Help!!! I'm stuck near the end- can anyone give me a hint so I can stop the fan?

I've just put the toxic stuff in the generator and found the fan, but I can't seem to get further.

Ta.

Sythe

Quote from: Nlogax on Fri 21/04/2006 17:28:01
Help!!! I'm stuck near the end- can anyone give me a hint so I can stop the fan?

I've just put the toxic stuff in the generator and found the fan, but I can't seem to get further.

Ta.
Hint:
Spoiler
Sugar might help you
[close]

I don't know what half of you are complaining about. I thought that was very fun. The puzzels were a little easy however.

.Sklate.

Heh, we weren't exactly complaining, just giving thoughts and opinions that we felt could make the game better than it already is  :)

Sheepisher

Quote from: Sythe on Fri 21/04/2006 20:32:11
I don't know what half of you are complaining about. I thought that was very fun. The puzzels were a little easy however.

Well, it's all down to personal taste, isn't it?Ã,  I found quite a few of the puzzles rather difficult because they defied logic ... my logic, that isÃ,  ;D

Also, I agree with Sklate - we're just offering our constructive criticism, and of course everyone has their own opinion as to what, if anything, needs to be improved on any game they play.

It's fantastic that you enjoyed the game so much.Ã,  That, after all, is exactly what AGS is all about.Ã,  Viva la difference.Ã,  :)

Sythe

Quote from: Sheepisher on Sat 22/04/2006 08:42:52

Well, it's all down to personal taste, isn't it?  I found quite a few of the puzzles rather difficult because they defied logic ... my logic, that is  ;D

Also, I agree with Sklate - we're just offering our constructive criticism, and of course everyone has their own opinion as to what, if anything, needs to be improved on any game they play.

It's fantastic that you enjoyed the game so much.  That, after all, is exactly what AGS is all about.  Viva la difference.  :)

Well the puzzels weren't completetly illogical, just different to the normal - which is good. If you can solve every puzzel the most logical way then the game wouldn't be fun. Its why monkey island was so good.

As for criticisms, you should give them of course, but also keep in mind that much time and effort are put into games like this. It is very easy to hurt someones feelings by being too blunt.

martinson

There is a difference between a puzzle being logical in hindsight and in breaking the tone.  Some of the puzzles defied the very precise characterizations developed so far, and I belive hurt the excellent story by making us not trust in the writer.

I think puzzles are more fun when they make sense.  Monkey Island's puzzles were solvable in "the most logical way" -- there is a difference between logic and "expectations" -- the game world of monkey island is set up so that the "most logical way" is often the silly unexpected way.  Those ways do not defy the logic set up in the game world.

If we want to respect the hard work that has gone into a beautiful project such as this one, the best way is to treat it as "seriously" as it clearly wants to be treated.  It starts off with the precision and attention to detail of an excellent short film, so we should address our criticisms.

It would be a different matter if people were saying "This sux it's boring I hate fat people lololol" but they're not.  Almost all are couched in strong praise.  The criticisms are valuable and not just a matter of taste, because there are techniques employed here that may as well be consistent if the author cares about making the best possible project.  Actually, if the project was less professional and clearly from a beginning storyteller, I would not hold the same standards, because that would be more likely to hurt.  Skilled storytellers should be used to clear criticism, it's the only way to get this good.

jetlag

The game has a frence animation style. I don't know if that was the goal, but I like it anyway.

Tuomas

I spent quite a mad while with the cd player thing at the JAZZ man's room, and I'm rather dissapointed:

Spoiler
First of all, thinking that guy knew jazz I gave him some Louise Armstrong and he rejected it. Then I put in a Sydney Bechet album and nothing. Then John McLaughlin trio, then Joe Pass, then George Benson, Then Rosenberg Trio, I even gave him some Pat Metheny and Wynton Marsalis. Luckily I found some of my old Miles Davis albums which he then accepted! THAT GUY KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT JAZZ!
[close]

Afflict

hehe i just gave

Spoiler

him some of that good ol rock n roll and the man was like youre alright :)
Jazz lol no way, i thought any cd will do the trick obviously not?

[close]

Anyway have fun :)

Afflict

.Sklate.

Yeah..

Spoiler
I slipped in a promotional sampler of HawThorne Heights and he gave the go ahead too :D

I doubt that you really have to put in a Jazz Cd.
[close]

Candle

Great game, wish I could do so good.

Petra

Thanks for this "jewel"!!

I played it through the night without any light. :D
as otherwise I could not catch all details in the game...
Dark atmosphere, but GREAT!!

But I have found one small bug though...

Try to post it here
with the spoiler warning, but I do know if this works...

So...

(hide) when you try to "push" or "pull" the carpet ....the trap door appears, but the hot spot still calls it "the carpet" And you have to open the carpet (/hide)

Have managed it though and finished a brilliant game!!!

Please do more ;D

Petra

Umpfffff

it did not work... :'(

Hope I did not spoil the fun now....

But I do not know exactly how to send a spoiler hint.....sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Petra

So.....

I'm totally crazy now...

even posted to the wrong game...what a shame

???

.Sklate.

Petra, use "modify on the right hand side of your post to edit your post, and not create a new post. Hehe, it gets the others mad. :P

And anyway, to use spoiler tags, you have to use
["hide"] Pick up the bunny. ["/hide"] without the " 's .

Gilbert

He can't, since he posted as a guest, that's not a reason for triple posting though.

pslim

Just downloaded and played through this game and I had to come and post and say that I absolutely loved it.

First of all, the main character drawing is fantastic in terms of setting up the surreal mood and inspiring the empathy necessary to make someone want to play through the game to see what happens to him. Already your sense of the sublime is awakened when you see the opening screen full of fat identical characters that would be funny if there weren't a very fascist overtone to the whole thing.

I was a bit surprised by the main character's voice but I immediately thought it was perfect for the character and the tone of the game. The inconsistent, collage style of the artwork took some getting used to but I came out of it thinking that it all fit together very well, with a small few exceptions (pickle guy's sprite seemed a little bit out of place to me for some reason, as did the doctor's).

I thought the subject matter was very interesting, also. Questions about why so many people in the western world are obese and what should be done about it are cropping up more and more these days, and I think The Farm is quite an interesting and relevant extrapolation. Its social relevance is obscured somewhat by its surrealism, but I think they go together wonderfully in that you can take with you what you like from it.

The only gripes I had were that for some reason every time it changed scenes it kicked me out to the desktop with the game window minimized, and the interface, although interesting, seemed needlessly complex. I also would have preferred to be able to look at objects in my inventory.

All in all I think this game is a work of art and probably the most impressive AGS title I've played.Ã,  :)

Sheepisher

Quote from: Sythe on Mon 24/04/2006 01:31:52
Quote from: Sheepisher on Sat 22/04/2006 08:42:52

Well, it's all down to personal taste, isn't it? I found quite a few of the puzzles rather difficult because they defied logic ... my logic, that is ;D

It's fantastic that you enjoyed the game so much. That, after all, is exactly what AGS is all about. Viva la difference. :)

Well the puzzels weren't completetly illogical, just different to the normal - which is good. If you can solve every puzzel the most logical way then the game wouldn't be fun. Its why monkey island was so good.

As for criticisms, you should give them of course, but also keep in mind that much time and effort are put into games like this. It is very easy to hurt someones feelings by being too blunt.

Fair points, Sythe.

Whether a puzzle is "logical" or not is, of course, completely subjective to the player.Ã,  As you point out, a puzzle solution doesn't have to be obvious, but it should be logical - the two are quite separate.Ã,  With "The Farm", I felt that there were a few puzzles where the logic wasn't signposted too well, and I ended up feeling miffed that I wasn't given more clues.Ã,  F'r example:

Spoiler
Reading the book to the dog in order to send him to sleep.Ã,  I personally found this frustrating, because a) The only clue linking the dog and books was rather obscure - I thought the Jazz Guy said they were books ABOUT dogs, not FOR his dog; b) I had no way of examining the book in my inventory, and therefore no clue as to its uses; c) I already had some perfectly good sleeping pills, which weren't working.
[close]

Eventually, I only solved this puzzle with dreaded Keyring Syndrome.Ã,  However, you obviously had no trouble working this puzzle out, so I can only tip my hat to you and reiterate that puzzle logic is subjective.Ã,  What seems obscure to one person, seems screamingly obvious to someone else, and there's probably no way to avoid that, although the 'obscure' people will always thank you for extra clues.

As for your point about being too blunt, you are of course right.Ã,  I think I agree with Martinson on this one - that the outstanding quality of the visual and sound design coupled with the intriguing and provocative subject matter in "The Farm" are of an unsually high standard, so I feel more compelled to offer my (hopefully constructive) criticism on those areas that don't quite work.

Again, as Martinson says, I hope that I have been complimentary and constructive rather than blunt; I'm only trying to offer my honest support for this project, and I certainly don't mean to denigrate Benedict's efforts or hurt his feelings.

(I have to admit, I do feel a bit of a grinch offering such criticism on a game that is "completed", or at least a complete first chapter.)

AlbinoPanther

Benedict you are a true artist. Just that! I hope that some famous game making company hire you. Because you really deserve it !

Keep it up and enjoy!

Krynge

This game is AWESOME...

I've been lurking for AGEEESSSSSS around here, but this game really caught my eye..

The dark nature of the game is unreal, and the whole concept is pretty original too. Artwork was awesome, as was the music. Also gotta make a comment on the in-game video - ABSOLUTELY WICKED !!!

I know I'm probably being ignorant by not reading older posts or something similar, but if you get time Benedict, I just wanna know two things:

1) What program did you use to make the videos?

2) How long did it take to make them?

Cheers

Confused

I can't figure out the interface for the life of me. Ã, ???

pslim

Helps to read the instructions.  :=

You have to hold down L, T or I to activate looking, talking and interacting.

calacver

Farm was fun, though a lot of the characters felt pasted onto the world. Though that might be what you were going for? I still found it a very original game raising the issue of obesity. Very interesting game.

May I ask how did you do the bgs? You guys are great artists :)

Lexx

One of the best games in here I think. :)

The Videos and the graphic styles are great. Really nice to play this.

Play_Pretend

Daaaayumn.

I got about to the CD-ROM popping open, and I deleted that game.  It was freaking awesome, don't get me wrong...amazing, amazing graphics, interestingly creepy plotline, like playing Cirque du Soleil gone horribly wrong :), and the movies were incredibly well done.

I've got an overactive imagination though, and that game has left me feeling creepy and a little freaked out, hence the early pre-completion deletion. :)  Five stars, no doubt, but ooooooh...goosebumps.  No more playing for me. :)  Or if I ever do play again, it'll be in a brightly lit field with puppies and happy children running around me and bikini models bringing me root beer.  You know.  To counterbalance. :)  Cheers, and congratulations on a masterpiece!

kajlin

wow, it looks interesting :) downloading and downloading and... ;)

loggs

How the hell can i get the sleeping pills from
that bloke ?

steerpike

I've just downloaded this and starting to play it. It looks and sounds superb - in particular, if all your soundtrack is original, then hats off to the composer(s).

There's one bug which I don't think anyone else has posted yet; I found it by accident, and I'll hide it because it's also a spoiler -

Spoiler
You've left a debugging option in - rather a crucial one.
[close]

I'm looking forward to progressing with it.

MYKAYEL

hey everybody!

I've started palying and call me a baka but I'm stuck. I don't have any ideea what to de next.
Here is what I've done so far:
Spoiler
I've coverd up the survaillence camera with the ballons, picked up the sugar, talked to everyone, did everything I could, but now I'm just walking around in circles. I also got the bedsheets clean :P so obvioslly I've got the broom. Anyway, can anyone help me out here?
[close]

Great game by the way.

MYKAYEL

Never mind, I've figured it out. :P

I also know how you can get the sleeping pills.

Spoiler
push the big guy in the fridge and then use the broom on the fridge door to keep it locked.
[close]

I just finished the game. :D Great ending! Looking forward to a sequel.

Spoiler
by the way, the room with the fat guy and all the blood, REALLY CREEPY! Good work!
[close]

piperhcombs

This game is neat. The atmosphere is really creepy, and everything from the interface to the style is quite unique.

I did notice one bug though- THe game crashed when the guards were marching down hall after I was spotted on the surveillance camera. It didn't happen the second time.
:cheers: + :claps:

Temperance&Booth  Sydney&Vaughn  Nadia&Weiss

ManicMatt

I'd comment on the game, except the poster of this thread wouldn't read it, it appears.  ::)

miryoku_81

I found this to be quite an enjoyable game with nice atmospheric touches.  The graphics were very good and cut scenes were enjoyable although my computer tended to crash when cutting to them so I had to skip some of them.

I found the interface frustrating, though, as I do not like using the keyboard and mouse at the same time. 

Also, for the part involving the CD player, it would have been nice to have the option of just exiting and NOT playing something...but that's just because I was too lazy to run upstairs and grab some CDs.  Also, upon replaying the game one of the CDs that was acceptable the first time through, was rejected the next time - confusing.

As well, not being able to save over games was quite annoying.  I had to start saving them as "one", "two", "three" because if I didn't use distinct names for each save, I couldn't restore the game I wanted to.  Also - F7 should not be used as a save button - I did this on one occassion thinking that I was restoring a game but I actually saved instead (no problem, though, since you're not able to save over anything).

Overall, quite a good game and considering that I stuck through all of these problems and crashes, it means that your game is pretty good in my opinion if I played through until the end.  :)

CosmoQueen

The download link isn't working.
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

CosmoQueen

KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

loulou

Quote from: kajlin on Tue 23/05/2006 08:43:22
wow, it looks interesting :) downloading and downloading and... ;)
can you tell me how i get out of the cell?i got coins,book,tape,and sheet but i dont know what i have to do.

Vince Twelve

You should post this in the Hints and Tips forum rather than digging up an old thread.  Or even better, using the search function (conveniently located right at the top of the page), I immediately found this thread which is already three pages of people asking and answering questions about how to complete this game.  Most likely your question has already been covered.

For future reference, posting in an old thread is usually frowned upon unless you have a good reason.  Good luck with the game!

pixelblink

Just completed this game. Love the atmosphere. The music goes great with the theme. Everything is fantastic really... can't wait for episode 2 (if it is coming??)

murkypurpose

"Thank you for a very enjoyable game."

Steel Drummer

Don't bother posting in this thread. I know, the game is awesome; I think it is too, but this game's creator has only posted on the forums once or twice and he hasn't been active in months, so he won't see your comments on the game. Unless he's been lurking around here without posting...
I'm composing the music for this game:

Da_Elf

hopefully he is too busy working on episode 2 :) i just finished the game and loved it and would love to see a part 2

Erenoth02

Crimson Wizard

Erenoth02, I hereby declare you the necroposter of the month :=.

Erenoth02

:= lol... but no really, out of all the games I've played so far this one sticks with me as one of the best, I would love to see an ending.

HAL

Thanks to this 8 year old thread being dragged up, I've now downloaded the game and am trying it out.

I don't know if I've just got it set wrong, but for me the first room is very dark, with a lot of things to click on in the darkness (the cross-hair goes red), yet I can't interact with anything in any way, apart from when I select the one available inventory item and try it on everything and he says the same thing again and again, "That wouldn't be very good, would it?"

I was interested to try this game but it seems I can't do anything with it!

The intro sequence is very captivating and impressive, however.

Also there are some shocking spelling mistakes in the script. Had to be said.

The Great Underground Empire

*pokes his head up from a nearby grave*

I still tell people how this game so effectively creeped me out that when

Spoiler
my actual CD player on my actual computer popped out, just like the one in-game
[close]

I went noooooope and stopped playing. :)

*reinhumes himself*

Tabata

Quote from: HAL on Fri 20/02/2015 08:15:26
I don't know if I've just got it set wrong,...
I also had some trouble with it at first but changing the cursor into something 'useful' is done by typing letters:  l > look, i > interact, t > talk

Hope it helps - have fun

LimpingFish

Wow. Eight years.

Somehow, I overlooked the necro-tastic post that exhumed this thread. Surely, surely, you noticed how old the last post in here was, Erenoth02? In situations like this, I'd usually advise that you PM the original author with any inquiries, but since I have no idea who "benedict" was/is, or whether he/she stuck around and actually registered on the forums, that could prove somewhat difficult. (wtf)

So...um...yeah, no necro-posting.(wrong)

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk