the farm episode one completed

Started by , Sat 15/04/2006 18:39:11

Previous topic - Next topic

jane

Oo thanks mate!  I take back what I said  ;)

Nlogax

Help!!! I'm stuck near the end- can anyone give me a hint so I can stop the fan?

I've just put the toxic stuff in the generator and found the fan, but I can't seem to get further.

Ta.

Sythe

Quote from: Nlogax on Fri 21/04/2006 17:28:01
Help!!! I'm stuck near the end- can anyone give me a hint so I can stop the fan?

I've just put the toxic stuff in the generator and found the fan, but I can't seem to get further.

Ta.
Hint:
Spoiler
Sugar might help you
[close]

I don't know what half of you are complaining about. I thought that was very fun. The puzzels were a little easy however.

.Sklate.

Heh, we weren't exactly complaining, just giving thoughts and opinions that we felt could make the game better than it already is  :)

Sheepisher

Quote from: Sythe on Fri 21/04/2006 20:32:11
I don't know what half of you are complaining about. I thought that was very fun. The puzzels were a little easy however.

Well, it's all down to personal taste, isn't it?Ã,  I found quite a few of the puzzles rather difficult because they defied logic ... my logic, that isÃ,  ;D

Also, I agree with Sklate - we're just offering our constructive criticism, and of course everyone has their own opinion as to what, if anything, needs to be improved on any game they play.

It's fantastic that you enjoyed the game so much.Ã,  That, after all, is exactly what AGS is all about.Ã,  Viva la difference.Ã,  :)
"Like a balloon and ... something bad happens!"

Sythe

Quote from: Sheepisher on Sat 22/04/2006 08:42:52

Well, it's all down to personal taste, isn't it?  I found quite a few of the puzzles rather difficult because they defied logic ... my logic, that is  ;D

Also, I agree with Sklate - we're just offering our constructive criticism, and of course everyone has their own opinion as to what, if anything, needs to be improved on any game they play.

It's fantastic that you enjoyed the game so much.  That, after all, is exactly what AGS is all about.  Viva la difference.  :)

Well the puzzels weren't completetly illogical, just different to the normal - which is good. If you can solve every puzzel the most logical way then the game wouldn't be fun. Its why monkey island was so good.

As for criticisms, you should give them of course, but also keep in mind that much time and effort are put into games like this. It is very easy to hurt someones feelings by being too blunt.

martinson

There is a difference between a puzzle being logical in hindsight and in breaking the tone.  Some of the puzzles defied the very precise characterizations developed so far, and I belive hurt the excellent story by making us not trust in the writer.

I think puzzles are more fun when they make sense.  Monkey Island's puzzles were solvable in "the most logical way" -- there is a difference between logic and "expectations" -- the game world of monkey island is set up so that the "most logical way" is often the silly unexpected way.  Those ways do not defy the logic set up in the game world.

If we want to respect the hard work that has gone into a beautiful project such as this one, the best way is to treat it as "seriously" as it clearly wants to be treated.  It starts off with the precision and attention to detail of an excellent short film, so we should address our criticisms.

It would be a different matter if people were saying "This sux it's boring I hate fat people lololol" but they're not.  Almost all are couched in strong praise.  The criticisms are valuable and not just a matter of taste, because there are techniques employed here that may as well be consistent if the author cares about making the best possible project.  Actually, if the project was less professional and clearly from a beginning storyteller, I would not hold the same standards, because that would be more likely to hurt.  Skilled storytellers should be used to clear criticism, it's the only way to get this good.

jetlag

The game has a frence animation style. I don't know if that was the goal, but I like it anyway.

Tuomas

I spent quite a mad while with the cd player thing at the JAZZ man's room, and I'm rather dissapointed:

Spoiler
First of all, thinking that guy knew jazz I gave him some Louise Armstrong and he rejected it. Then I put in a Sydney Bechet album and nothing. Then John McLaughlin trio, then Joe Pass, then George Benson, Then Rosenberg Trio, I even gave him some Pat Metheny and Wynton Marsalis. Luckily I found some of my old Miles Davis albums which he then accepted! THAT GUY KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT JAZZ!
[close]

Afflict

hehe i just gave

Spoiler

him some of that good ol rock n roll and the man was like youre alright :)
Jazz lol no way, i thought any cd will do the trick obviously not?

[close]

Anyway have fun :)

Afflict

.Sklate.

Yeah..

Spoiler
I slipped in a promotional sampler of HawThorne Heights and he gave the go ahead too :D

I doubt that you really have to put in a Jazz Cd.
[close]

Candle

Great game, wish I could do so good.

Petra

Thanks for this "jewel"!!

I played it through the night without any light. :D
as otherwise I could not catch all details in the game...
Dark atmosphere, but GREAT!!

But I have found one small bug though...

Try to post it here
with the spoiler warning, but I do know if this works...

So...

(hide) when you try to "push" or "pull" the carpet ....the trap door appears, but the hot spot still calls it "the carpet" And you have to open the carpet (/hide)

Have managed it though and finished a brilliant game!!!

Please do more ;D

Petra

Umpfffff

it did not work... :'(

Hope I did not spoil the fun now....

But I do not know exactly how to send a spoiler hint.....sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Petra

So.....

I'm totally crazy now...

even posted to the wrong game...what a shame

???

.Sklate.

Petra, use "modify on the right hand side of your post to edit your post, and not create a new post. Hehe, it gets the others mad. :P

And anyway, to use spoiler tags, you have to use
["hide"] Pick up the bunny. ["/hide"] without the " 's .

Gilbert

He can't, since he posted as a guest, that's not a reason for triple posting though.

pslim

Just downloaded and played through this game and I had to come and post and say that I absolutely loved it.

First of all, the main character drawing is fantastic in terms of setting up the surreal mood and inspiring the empathy necessary to make someone want to play through the game to see what happens to him. Already your sense of the sublime is awakened when you see the opening screen full of fat identical characters that would be funny if there weren't a very fascist overtone to the whole thing.

I was a bit surprised by the main character's voice but I immediately thought it was perfect for the character and the tone of the game. The inconsistent, collage style of the artwork took some getting used to but I came out of it thinking that it all fit together very well, with a small few exceptions (pickle guy's sprite seemed a little bit out of place to me for some reason, as did the doctor's).

I thought the subject matter was very interesting, also. Questions about why so many people in the western world are obese and what should be done about it are cropping up more and more these days, and I think The Farm is quite an interesting and relevant extrapolation. Its social relevance is obscured somewhat by its surrealism, but I think they go together wonderfully in that you can take with you what you like from it.

The only gripes I had were that for some reason every time it changed scenes it kicked me out to the desktop with the game window minimized, and the interface, although interesting, seemed needlessly complex. I also would have preferred to be able to look at objects in my inventory.

All in all I think this game is a work of art and probably the most impressive AGS title I've played.Ã,  :)

Sheepisher

Quote from: Sythe on Mon 24/04/2006 01:31:52
Quote from: Sheepisher on Sat 22/04/2006 08:42:52

Well, it's all down to personal taste, isn't it? I found quite a few of the puzzles rather difficult because they defied logic ... my logic, that is ;D

It's fantastic that you enjoyed the game so much. That, after all, is exactly what AGS is all about. Viva la difference. :)

Well the puzzels weren't completetly illogical, just different to the normal - which is good. If you can solve every puzzel the most logical way then the game wouldn't be fun. Its why monkey island was so good.

As for criticisms, you should give them of course, but also keep in mind that much time and effort are put into games like this. It is very easy to hurt someones feelings by being too blunt.

Fair points, Sythe.

Whether a puzzle is "logical" or not is, of course, completely subjective to the player.Ã,  As you point out, a puzzle solution doesn't have to be obvious, but it should be logical - the two are quite separate.Ã,  With "The Farm", I felt that there were a few puzzles where the logic wasn't signposted too well, and I ended up feeling miffed that I wasn't given more clues.Ã,  F'r example:

Spoiler
Reading the book to the dog in order to send him to sleep.Ã,  I personally found this frustrating, because a) The only clue linking the dog and books was rather obscure - I thought the Jazz Guy said they were books ABOUT dogs, not FOR his dog; b) I had no way of examining the book in my inventory, and therefore no clue as to its uses; c) I already had some perfectly good sleeping pills, which weren't working.
[close]

Eventually, I only solved this puzzle with dreaded Keyring Syndrome.Ã,  However, you obviously had no trouble working this puzzle out, so I can only tip my hat to you and reiterate that puzzle logic is subjective.Ã,  What seems obscure to one person, seems screamingly obvious to someone else, and there's probably no way to avoid that, although the 'obscure' people will always thank you for extra clues.

As for your point about being too blunt, you are of course right.Ã,  I think I agree with Martinson on this one - that the outstanding quality of the visual and sound design coupled with the intriguing and provocative subject matter in "The Farm" are of an unsually high standard, so I feel more compelled to offer my (hopefully constructive) criticism on those areas that don't quite work.

Again, as Martinson says, I hope that I have been complimentary and constructive rather than blunt; I'm only trying to offer my honest support for this project, and I certainly don't mean to denigrate Benedict's efforts or hurt his feelings.

(I have to admit, I do feel a bit of a grinch offering such criticism on a game that is "completed", or at least a complete first chapter.)
"Like a balloon and ... something bad happens!"

AlbinoPanther

Benedict you are a true artist. Just that! I hope that some famous game making company hire you. Because you really deserve it !

Keep it up and enjoy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk