Chicken VS. Road

Started by Play_Pretend, Sun 16/04/2006 15:05:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Play_Pretend

Woo hoo!Ã,  I finally finished my first short AGS game, "Chicken VS Road", and now present it to you, de peoples.Ã,  It's a (hopefully) funny little game, takes less than ten minutes to complete if you know what to do, and I did my best to make it snazzily professional.Ã,  Considering it started out as a "something to do when I'm burnt out on my feature-length game", I'm happy with how far it's come.Ã,  ;D

It's about 30-ish Megs when unzipped (but only a 5 Meg download), 640 X 480, 32 bit high colour graphics.Ã,  Standard adventure game controls, with the difference from most games here that it has its own hint system built into the top menu, where questions marks once meant "About". :)Ã,  The backgrounds and items are full of responses, so please look, touch, talk to everything (don't need to, but it'll add flavor ) :).Ã,  There were a few animations that I had trouble with because of AGS's few limitations with game speed/large graphics, but I think I got the best workarounds I could, although I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me how to improve them.Ã,  Other than that, enjoy playing it, let me know what you think, and thanks!

Download:
http://files.filefront.com/ChickenVSRoadzip/;4996279;;/fileinfo.html

marlamoe

Just played it and laughed out loud many times.  Cute and funny.

Barbarian

I just finished it (took me about 10 minutes) and I think it's a fun little game.  Good humor and nice art-work.  Strange but funny puzzles.

Would have been better with some sounds and/or music (or was there
sounds and music but it just didn't work on my computer?).  It was a little bit of "pixel hunting" trying to figure out where to click the objects on something (no hotspot indicator of any kind on the objects).  Walk speed of Chicken was a tad slow but for a 1-room game, okay, bearable.

Anyways, overall I think it's a really good and fun little game, and I look forwards to seeing more from you in future.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Candle

What a nice little game and the help system was great.

Mordalles

the site wants me to enter a password to download it?  ???

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Mats Berglinn

Wow, the game was cool, even cooler than I expected. The humor was indeed funny and the animations and backgrounds are great.

I agree with Barbarian that music and sound effects wouldn't hurt. I almost thought for a moment that the sound system stop working.

Play_Pretend

I had originally planned to get music and sound effects for it, but it was more physical exhaustion that prevented it. :)  I sacrificed so much sleep the past two weeks getting it done that by 9 AM this morning (after being up 20 hours straight) I was like, "Okay, I still haven't figured out the custom SAVE/LOAD gui's, and I haven't got sound...fudge it.  I'm putting it online."   ;D  I'll try not to let my body cloud my judgment in the future.

I'm not sure about the password thing for FileFront...anybody else have that problem?

And yeah, I guess the over-hotspot thing just never occurred to me.  Maybe I can rework this a bit to make that easier on the player. :)

Thanks a bunch guys!  Keep it coming, let me know what you thought!  Cheers!

Afflict

If possible can we get onther download link to this file :(

DoorKnobHandle

For me, the download worked after retrying.

It was a great game. I enjoyed it! I loved the funny descriptions and the atmosphere.

Really great, there's no real critic that hasn't been mentioned before, except that the help system was first very shallow in describing the solution and then when I checked the second hint, it basically told me what to do.

Mordalles

i tried a few times now, and it ask for a password everytime that it is about to download.

Afflict

Well I cant even get to the download keep timing out!

Peder 🚀

Here you go guys:

ChickenVSRoad.zip Kindly hosted by:Peder Johnsen

I gonna have to wait till tomorrow to try out this game.

Mordalles

thanks again, peder!  ;D

Peder 🚀

Play_Pretend

Wow, thanks a ton Peder!  I'm new at this, so I wasn't sure which place would be the best to upload it yet. :)  I really appreciate you helping me out.

Mordalles:  Were you able to get it from Peder's link?

Heh...yeah, I designed the hint system sort of like the UHS hint files, only much, much faster to the solution (because my sleep-starved brain was taxed to the limit already)  :o  Basically,  one or two generalized hints, then if you're really stuck, it just tells you outright what to do.  I'll have a word with the Egg of Enlightenment about that.

I'm thinkin' I'll re-release this sometime in the next week with full sound/music/faster walk speed/perhaps broader hint system (with a spoiler warning alert?) :).  If anyone wants to re-download it then, I guess.

Cheers again!

KingMick

One of the funniest games I have ever played!  The only AGS game that I've played which I am actually actively telling other people about :D.

Up above someone has suggested music/sound and a faster walking speed.  I second both of those.

...and I'd love to hear more from the famous chicken in the future :).  You could really make a thing out of this, y'know?  Wallpapers, a website...the new "Homestar Runner".  And of course... "Chicken vs. Road II"

Thanks Strange Visitor!  Awesome game!

sergiocornaga

A most excellent game, I liked the bizarre and almost illogical puzzles.

Play_Pretend

UPDATION!  I've put in the walkspeed/hint/hotspot-cursor fixes, have got my music and am now just spacing out the sound effects.  I'll have it re-released early in the AM Wednesday!  Thanks again for the wonderful feedback!

Homestawmy Soldeahs, hoo wah!

Peder 🚀

Finally got myself to play this game, and I must say:

IT IS AWESOME  :o!
A really good game you made here! ;D.

Really funny!

Petra

Thank you for this cute and funny game, I had to laugh out loud permanently ;D

Very good idea and your humour is just great!

I'm looking forward to see many many more games made by you!!!

WELL DONE!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk