Chicken VS. Road

Started by Play_Pretend, Sun 16/04/2006 15:05:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Play_Pretend

Woo hoo!Ã,  I finally finished my first short AGS game, "Chicken VS Road", and now present it to you, de peoples.Ã,  It's a (hopefully) funny little game, takes less than ten minutes to complete if you know what to do, and I did my best to make it snazzily professional.Ã,  Considering it started out as a "something to do when I'm burnt out on my feature-length game", I'm happy with how far it's come.Ã,  ;D

It's about 30-ish Megs when unzipped (but only a 5 Meg download), 640 X 480, 32 bit high colour graphics.Ã,  Standard adventure game controls, with the difference from most games here that it has its own hint system built into the top menu, where questions marks once meant "About". :)Ã,  The backgrounds and items are full of responses, so please look, touch, talk to everything (don't need to, but it'll add flavor ) :).Ã,  There were a few animations that I had trouble with because of AGS's few limitations with game speed/large graphics, but I think I got the best workarounds I could, although I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me how to improve them.Ã,  Other than that, enjoy playing it, let me know what you think, and thanks!

Download:
http://files.filefront.com/ChickenVSRoadzip/;4996279;;/fileinfo.html

marlamoe

Just played it and laughed out loud many times.  Cute and funny.

Barbarian

I just finished it (took me about 10 minutes) and I think it's a fun little game.  Good humor and nice art-work.  Strange but funny puzzles.

Would have been better with some sounds and/or music (or was there
sounds and music but it just didn't work on my computer?).  It was a little bit of "pixel hunting" trying to figure out where to click the objects on something (no hotspot indicator of any kind on the objects).  Walk speed of Chicken was a tad slow but for a 1-room game, okay, bearable.

Anyways, overall I think it's a really good and fun little game, and I look forwards to seeing more from you in future.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Candle

What a nice little game and the help system was great.

Mordalles

the site wants me to enter a password to download it?  ???

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Mats Berglinn

Wow, the game was cool, even cooler than I expected. The humor was indeed funny and the animations and backgrounds are great.

I agree with Barbarian that music and sound effects wouldn't hurt. I almost thought for a moment that the sound system stop working.

Play_Pretend

I had originally planned to get music and sound effects for it, but it was more physical exhaustion that prevented it. :)  I sacrificed so much sleep the past two weeks getting it done that by 9 AM this morning (after being up 20 hours straight) I was like, "Okay, I still haven't figured out the custom SAVE/LOAD gui's, and I haven't got sound...fudge it.  I'm putting it online."   ;D  I'll try not to let my body cloud my judgment in the future.

I'm not sure about the password thing for FileFront...anybody else have that problem?

And yeah, I guess the over-hotspot thing just never occurred to me.  Maybe I can rework this a bit to make that easier on the player. :)

Thanks a bunch guys!  Keep it coming, let me know what you thought!  Cheers!

Afflict

If possible can we get onther download link to this file :(

DoorKnobHandle

For me, the download worked after retrying.

It was a great game. I enjoyed it! I loved the funny descriptions and the atmosphere.

Really great, there's no real critic that hasn't been mentioned before, except that the help system was first very shallow in describing the solution and then when I checked the second hint, it basically told me what to do.

Mordalles

i tried a few times now, and it ask for a password everytime that it is about to download.

Afflict

Well I cant even get to the download keep timing out!

Peder 🚀

Here you go guys:

ChickenVSRoad.zip Kindly hosted by:Peder Johnsen

I gonna have to wait till tomorrow to try out this game.

Mordalles

thanks again, peder!  ;D

Peder 🚀

Play_Pretend

Wow, thanks a ton Peder!  I'm new at this, so I wasn't sure which place would be the best to upload it yet. :)  I really appreciate you helping me out.

Mordalles:  Were you able to get it from Peder's link?

Heh...yeah, I designed the hint system sort of like the UHS hint files, only much, much faster to the solution (because my sleep-starved brain was taxed to the limit already)  :o  Basically,  one or two generalized hints, then if you're really stuck, it just tells you outright what to do.  I'll have a word with the Egg of Enlightenment about that.

I'm thinkin' I'll re-release this sometime in the next week with full sound/music/faster walk speed/perhaps broader hint system (with a spoiler warning alert?) :).  If anyone wants to re-download it then, I guess.

Cheers again!

KingMick

One of the funniest games I have ever played!  The only AGS game that I've played which I am actually actively telling other people about :D.

Up above someone has suggested music/sound and a faster walking speed.  I second both of those.

...and I'd love to hear more from the famous chicken in the future :).  You could really make a thing out of this, y'know?  Wallpapers, a website...the new "Homestar Runner".  And of course... "Chicken vs. Road II"

Thanks Strange Visitor!  Awesome game!

sergiocornaga

A most excellent game, I liked the bizarre and almost illogical puzzles.

Play_Pretend

UPDATION!  I've put in the walkspeed/hint/hotspot-cursor fixes, have got my music and am now just spacing out the sound effects.  I'll have it re-released early in the AM Wednesday!  Thanks again for the wonderful feedback!

Homestawmy Soldeahs, hoo wah!

Peder 🚀

Finally got myself to play this game, and I must say:

IT IS AWESOME  :o!
A really good game you made here! ;D.

Really funny!

Petra

Thank you for this cute and funny game, I had to laugh out loud permanently ;D

Very good idea and your humour is just great!

I'm looking forward to see many many more games made by you!!!

WELL DONE!!!

KingMick

Quote from: Strange Visitor on Tue 18/04/2006 11:41:02
UPDATION!Ã,  I've put in the walkspeed/hint/hotspot-cursor fixes, have got my music and am now just spacing out the sound effects.Ã,  I'll have it re-released early in the AM Wednesday!Ã,  Thanks again for the wonderful feedback!

Homestawmy Soldeahs, hoo wah!

Awesome!  I'll tell everyone I mentioned the game to about the update once it's available!

Traveler

Hahaha, very good game!   :)

Thanks for making it, I'm looking forward to more of your games.

Play_Pretend

The new and improved, full soundie Chicken VS. Road Version 0.1 is now available at FileFront!  Even if you've played it already, please grab it again and let me know what you think of the new snazziness (or lack thereof) :).

Peder, if you'd be so kind to replace my old one, I'd truly appreciate it.  Thanks!

http://files.filefront.com/CvRzip/;5008065;;/fileinfo.html

Peder 🚀

offcourse!

Downloading now!
Ill edit my post when I have uploaded it!

[Edit:]
Here is the url with the updated file ;)
http://arnjeir.borgarholt.info/ags/ChickenVSRoad.zip

.Sklate.

I just downloaded the game, and I'm already stuck!:P I really hope it's not a bug though. 

Spoiler
I tried to use the cup with the straw on the needle, but it doesn't work? Is there some way to isolate the straw from the cup?
[close]

Play_Pretend

Oh, yeah!  Sorry...the Wing icon in the inventory screen is for separating or manipulating items...dang...guess I forgot to write a text-manual thing too, didn't I? :)  Come to think of it, I think you only even need to do that once in the whole game.  Hope this helps!

.Sklate.

Hm, apparently the version I have doesn't have a wing icon in the inventory screen.

--- *edit* ---

After looking into the inventory screen, I realised that the wing icon is there, but is very faint due it being the same colour of the inventory screen.

I suggest trying either making a contrast between the wing colour and inventory screen colour or making a darker outline of it  :)

--- *double edit * ---
Played through the game, and would like to say just how delightful the game is! The puns, jokes and sense of humour really makes this game a unique piece of work. The puzzles are also unique, and I really like the way you've given the chicken a form of identity ... if you know what i mean :)

I sincerely like the hint system, great effort was put into it!

Looking forward to henchman!

Barbarian

Played the updated version, and I think it's MUCH better now!
The sounds and music are well matched to the various actions and scenes now and add more overall enjoyment to the game. The walk speed seems better now too.  Good stuff.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Play_Pretend

Thanks, guys!  Heh...I stayed up waaay too late (and through a sick tummy!  I'm a trooper.)  8) getting it done, grabbed 5 hrs. sleep and off to work.

Yeah, I totally know what you mean about the lightness of some of my outlines.  I seem to have a problem with that (I've seen my work on other peoples' comps, and it comes out waaay lighter than on my screen, even though I've got Brightness cranked up to full.  Weird.)

You guys have any idea how hard it is to find a "blowgun" wav file?  ;D

.Sklate.

Heh, I have no idea how you managed to find the blowgun.wav, but I must also add that I feel that the music and sound fx in the game perfectly match not only the game objects, but the overall feel of the game.

Great job once again :)

Awesome game!

Is it just me, or is this the exact same background music as grundislav used in his latest game?  Is there some adventure game music repository out there that everybody gets their music from?

Play_Pretend

Thanks again, everybody!  And nah, it's just that in lieu of having someone else compose original pieces, I used classic songs, same as old cartoons used to.  Peter Gunn, Maple Leaf Rag, Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head, the (cough) Stripper Song, Eye of the Tiger, Clare de Lune and the theme from 2001.  A real time saver, that. :)

desimaui

To the creator of this game, "Hurrah!!!" ou have good attention to detail and some cleverness to the game that made it fun to pay. Keep up the good work. You could be the next best game developer!!!
All You Need is Love!

Fyntax

Nethros

It was fun, but when I clicked the help thing there were 2 other options to pick, that I never saw in the game.

MashPotato

Read the hints for those two topics Nethros ;)

Play_Pretend

*lol*  Wow...I can't believe this thread got pulled up after 8 months. :)  Thanks for the compliments, and heh...I wasn't even going to reply, but I thought it was so funny that someone was too honest to read ahead in the hints.  I can't imagine playing most games without cheating. :)

Sakkeus

I really don't like "strange games" but gave this one a try.
I loved it! Sunglassed chicken, wow.  The puzzles were very nice too, though they only made sense afterwards.
Looking forward to more of your games.

TheCheese33

Awesome game. I especially loved the off-beat puzzles.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

Dufferama

This was one of the first games I played when I discovered this site... and I loved it. Very professional, funny, and challenging.

TassieDevil

What a great little game, really enjoyable! Thank you.
The only problem was the colour scheme with the inventory, I had trouble finding the wing and after using it on the cup I couldn't find the straw :(

But otherwise - well done!

Play_Pretend

Agh!  I *knew* that would come back to bite me. :)  My apologies to anyone who had trouble with the color scheme...CvR was made on my older HP computer, with a big clunky monitor that wouldn't go above "Not *Really* Dark, I Guess" level.  So anything that would show up reasonably okay on my computer, would disappear into the brighter white on a real computer.  But I've seriously upgraded since, so I promise in the future any games/graphics I make will be far more color-schemedly correct.

And thank you all for the compliments, it really means a ton to me. :)

CosmoQueen

I'm so late on everything! I just recently played the game and it was really fun. I hope to see more stuff from you soon!
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk